paulfort

Best currency exchange in Pattaya open since covid?

I am returning to Thailand for the first time in three years, my last regular six monthly escape was cancelled in March 2020 when EVA finally pulled my flight and we all went headlong in to lock-downs!

In Pattaya I used to always find the "Black & Yellow think T exchanges booths doted around the time, the tow either side of second road next to Boys Town normally had the most competitive rates, but looking at recent Youtube clips in the area they appear to be closed. Does any one know if they are still operating and if so as competitive as before or if not what are the best exchanges now in the area? After a week in Pattaya I head for a week in Bangkok, take it "Super Rich" on Silom is still there as again usually used to be about the best unless any more up to date advise?

Unfortunately for me I am changing UK pounds which are plummeting so keen to ensure I at least get the best deals available, any advise greatly appreciated!

8 hours ago, gerefan said:

The TT Exchange opposite Boyztown is still operational and offers the best rates. During Covid the one on the same side of the road to BT was closed. I’m not sure if it reopened. 

I did and I used it when there in May 

as for Bangkok, traditionally best exchange rates were offered by booths at Airport railway station but I'm not sure it's still a truth as , again in May,  I found better rates at XOne  on Suriwong , 2 or 3 sois past soi Tawan going away from Patpong. Another place with good rates is on Narathiwas , going from Silom PLaza ( where Arena is) to MahaNakhon. Shop offering very good rates on SalaDaeng station was closed in May but can be possibly reopened now with increased tourist traffic.

There are two jewelry shops offering close to the best rates , one on Thaniya close to Suriwong end on the left side going from Silom, another one beside former soi Twilight

warning, at least in Patpong / Silom are all shops with good rates are not opened on Sundays and holidays and those who are opened on Sunday are opening bit worse rates than on other days so don't leave your exchange to Sundays.

Keep in mind that attractiveness of rates in particular place may depend of currency you are exchanging and best shop for AUD not necessarily will be best for yen although unlikely difference will be big but still may be noticeable on higher amounts.

This brings us to another issue - keep your cool as sometimes when exchanging smaller amounts is not worth to spend too much time hunting best rates. One of our members  once confessed to me  that he once went from Silom  to shop at Nana station with very good rates to change 50 or 100  USD and savings , while existing,  after deducting cost or round trip on BTS amounted to few bahts over price of Singha at 7/11

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

as for Bangkok, traditionally best exchange rates were offered by booths at Airport railway station

Not quite the best. I used to find better rates still in a little enclave in the Siam area at Soi Ratchadamri 1 just off Soi Petchaburi 30, behind Pratunam Pier. Something like 6-8 exchange shops all in one block.

Street View will give an idea.

14 hours ago, gerefan said:

The TT Exchange opposite Boyztown is still operational and offers the best rates. During Covid the one on the same side of the road to BT was closed. I’m not sure if it reopened.

If your favourite exchange in Pattaya is closed, take a walk along Soi Buakhao. They are nearly as frequent as 7-11s. 😊