reader

City girds for flooding Wednesday through Friday

From Thai PBS World

Bangkok authorities on Tuesday urged government agencies and private companies to consider allowing their personnel and employees to work from home in the next few days as Bangkok is expected to be hit by more heavy rains.

Bangkok Deputy Governor Tavida Kamolvej expressed fears that between October 5-7 Bangkok will be facing possible heaving flooding with the arrival of floodwaters from the north coupled with anticipated heavy rains.

“We would like to ask for cooperation from agencies and companies to allow people to work from home or to quit work earlier between Oct 5-7,” she said.

A heavy downpour on Monday turned many parts of Bangkok into swamps.  Hardest hit were areas around Laksi and Chaengwattanawhere many government agencies are located.

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt admitted that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) was not prepared enough to deal with the flooding in those areas. He said it needs to work more closely with the Highways Department and authorities in neighbouring Nonthaburi to handle the situation.

For goodness sake! It's the rainy season and every year the monsoon results in a great deal of rain in October. Why anyone should be surprised at heavy rains and occasional flooding in Bangkok totally beats me! And I totally fail to understand why it's newsworthy.

38 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

And I totally fail to understand why it's newsworthy.

You've heard the phrase, don't shoot the messenger....even if YOU want to. Not newsworthy to you, but to others, perhaps. 

Many news sources are reporting it as well, the floods were so severe....🤔
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-04/worst-thai-flood-in-years-damage-crops-risk-tourism-recovery?leadSource=uverify wall

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

For goodness sake! It's the rainy season and every year the monsoon results in a great deal of rain in October. Why anyone should be surprised at heavy rains and occasional flooding in Bangkok totally beats me! And I totally fail to understand why it's newsworthy.

To those who live in high rise condos perhaps. But to the great numbers of working class who live close to sea level, it matters a lot.

8 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Of course you are correct. But perhaps you can suggest how many working class guys living at sea level either read or contribute to this Board?

So you don’t believe that members here would like to be aware of what affects the poor in the city they travel from all over the world to visit. 

In the past few days alone, members have posted about cities and countries the world over. Posting about what’s happening in Bangkok seems quite appropriate. 

48 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Many news sources are reporting it as well, the floods were so severe....🤔

I totally realise this. But flooding EVERY year is severe. It is always particularly more so when the tail end of a particularly bad typhoon hits Thailand as happened on Monday earlier this week. I witnessed those hours of heavy rain in Bangkok and it will have been much worse in Isaan. I feel badly for the farmers who were affected. But again I ask: has the flooding affected anyone who reads this Board more than the floods which happen every year at this time? 

Thankfully no flooding has been anywhere near as bad as the 2011 floods which affected tens of millions and caused US$46.5 billion in damages (World Bank estimate). In Bangkok I have a Thai friend whose home was so badly flooded the water was knee-deep for almost 2 months. Don Mueang airport had to be closed for more than 4 months. That had all started a couple of months earlier and the trigger was once again heavy typhoon rains int he north. With high tide in the Gulf of Thailand coming next month, many riverside hotels and businesses have already got sandbags at the ready. 

6 minutes ago, reader said:

In the past few days alone, members have posted about cities and countries the world over. Posting about what’s happening in Bangkok seems quite appropriate. 

No doubt posting what might be a new event. As I have stated and no one has disputed, October is the height of the rainy season and Thailand floods every year, especially in Isaan. I fail to see how this is news to anyone - as it certainly would have been given the horrendous damage resulting from the floods in 2011.  

4 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

No doubt posting what might be a new event. As I have stated and no one has disputed, October is the height of the rainy season and Thailand floods every year, especially in Isaan. I fail to see how this is news to anyone - as it certainly would have been given the horrendous damage resulting from the floods in 2011.  

New event???

You’ve been posting in multiple threads about events that happened 10, 50 and century or more ago. And not just from Thailand but world wide!

26 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

No doubt posting what might be a new event. As I have stated and no one has disputed, October is the height of the rainy season and Thailand floods every year, especially in Isaan. 

December and January are always the height of the tourist season but we still always talk about. 

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Where I live we have a lot of snow but still every winter it seems to  be surprise to both general public and roads services.

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Of course you are correct. But perhaps you can suggest how many working class guys living at sea level either read or contribute to this Board?

I know three working boys in Bangkok (with respectable English skills) who read this site. And why would they not because many comments concern the work they do. I’m sure there’s others I don’t know who look in here to see what customers are saying. So when the guy you’re with impresses you with his English, we shouldn’t be surprised that he reads the same sites we’re attracted to.

26 minutes ago, reader said:

I know three working boys in Bangkok (with respectable English skills) who read this site. And why would they not because many comments concern the work they do. I’m sure there’s others I don’t know who look in here to see what customers are saying. So when the guy you’re with impresses you with his English, we shouldn’t be surprised that he reads the same sites we’re attracted to.

I'm the same as you - I have no idea apart from immediate friends. But as most readers are perfectly well aware, working boys have their own network. They will know long before before anything mentioning the weather is posted on this site.