reader

November 16-18 special holidays for Bangkok

From Thai PBS World

The Thai cabinet has made November 16th, 17th and 18th special public holidays for Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan to ease the movement of government leaders and senior officials during the APEC Summit and related meetings.

Anucha Burapachaisri, deputy secretary-general to the prime minister, said today (Wednesday) that the extra days off are also intended to enable security officials to perform their duties efficiently.

Commercial banks and other financial institutes, however, will remain open as usual, particularly those responsible for critical functions. Other staff can work from home.

State enterprises, private companies and the Labour Ministry can decide, as they think fit, whether to remain operational, as long as they ensure that the public are not affected if they decide to suspend operations.

The APEC Summit and related meetings, from November 14th to 17th, will take place at the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, reader said:

The APEC Summit and related meetings, from November 14th to 17th, will take place at the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre in Bangkok.

We can expect higher than usual traffic in Patpong 2 and soi 4 during those days I guess ?

So the dates do not correspond. BUT they do with my booked arrival in BKK after such a long time.

As a long-time and frequent visitor to the city I remember same-same arrangements from before: its mostly to get the traffic down to sundaymorning level so that the cavalcades of black limo´s can swish through its streets that have been festooned with merry welcome posters.

That centre was demolished and so apparently has now been rebuilt? Same place as before (Christian-if so-you live very nearby?)?. 

Also read that a mr Macron, heading the France was invited and provisionally accepted the invitation-his very 1st visit to LoS (Land of Smiles, as was the common nickname before). IT will not be any busier in these sois, but the high-grade outcall centres will have to rack up some extra staff to please the punters................

1 hour ago, pong2 said:

That centre was demolished and so apparently has now been rebuilt? Same place as before (Christian-if so-you live very nearby?)?.\

Do you mean the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre? The present building has been there at least since 2001 when I attended an event there. Since it only opened in 1991, I think it unlikely it was ever demolished. Parts of the interior were refurbished during covid.

On another part of this forum (Beer Bar) is a recent new port of ´reader´ on what roads will be closed off those days. Yes, its pretty close to CandleT/Sabaidee and Soi NgamDuplee, ith S-Sense and a side soi now closed Babylon, where der Christian also has his room. The closed off-area is more North_West of it-along Ratchdamri north of the park, where many Embassies are located.

THis is BKK so expect giant traffic jams in the areas just outside as they now have to swallow double-triple traffic volumes. AND leave your drone away!

On 10/8/2022 at 11:19 AM, pong2 said:

That centre was demolished and so apparently has now been rebuilt? Same place as before (Christian-if so-you live very nearby?)?.

Yes. Things change so fast in Bangkok. I noticed 2020 the old was being demolished, in spring 2022 the raw structure of the new was complete, and in August 2022 I visited the complete new and open center.

We will see what today brings. Around Sanam Luang was about the whole fleet of Thai POlice minivans assembled and many buslines were rerouted as some streets there also closed off. And new construction is indeed rife anywhere. Destruction of old buildings even more-new target seems to be all the old-closed since long deptmt. stores.

Tesco, the large UK-supermarket chain, has also moved out, shops remain as just Lotus.

That old Sirikit centre (had to be there 2/yr for the various travel markets/fairs they held) was about the most claustrofobic and cramped I have ever been into. Built to even for TH lilliput standards.