Olddaddy

Have you gave religion away being gay?

My Filipino BF who lives with me here in Australia wants to go to Church on Sunday , apparently it's a gay friendly church.

He comes from a religious family in the Philippines.

So anyway he is excited at going to this Pentecostal gay friendly church this Sunday, I'm not .

It may be a pro gay church but I don't believe in God or religion.

I'm going to go there with him but to me it's all fantasy and at any rate the Church don't like gays , these new "woke" churches are popping up supporting LGBT community but still I think religion can be evil.

3 minutes ago, vinapu said:

so let him go and you stay home or drive him up there and return to pick him up after service

No I will go just to see , haven't been to church for like 50 years 

1 minute ago, Olddaddy said:

No I will go just to see , haven't been to church for like 50 years 

make sure you dress properly and behave  not to embarrass your boy.

50 years! Don't you have friends who die and you are supposed to attend service , often at the church ? Lucky you

I gave religion the slip when I was a kid and realized it wasn't for me, the only time I go anywhere near a church or chapel is for a family or very close friends funeral service. In the military if you didn't go to sunday religious service you ended up doing work detail, I did a lot of work details. 

• Members

I am a Christian, very spiritual and religious.  However, I haven't come out to anybody in my family or anyone associated with the church.  When people make negative comments about gays, I just ignored them, and I divert their attention to the corruption of the church itself, most of them would shut up.

I don't belong to one particular church.  But I pray, I listen to gospel songs and catholic chants everyday.  I visit and pray at many beautiful cathedrals when I have the chance.  

4 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I am a Christian, very spiritual and religious.  However, I haven't come out to anybody in my family or anyone associated with the church.  When people make negative comments about gays, I just ignored them, and I divert their attention to the corruption of the church itself, most of them would shut up.

I don't belong to one particular church.  But I pray, I listen to gospel songs and catholic chants everyday.  I visit and pray at many beautiful cathedrals when I have the chance.  

Wow ! 

I'm shocked Scott 

• Members
56 minutes ago, vinapu said:

make sure you dress properly and behave  not to embarrass your boy.

50 years! Don't you have friends who die and you are supposed to attend service , often at the church ? Lucky you

Please don't wear flipflops or slippers to the church 🤣

3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

My Filipino BF who lives with me here in Australia wants to go to Church on Sunday , apparently it's a gay friendly church.

He comes from a religious family in the Philippines.

So anyway he is excited at going to this Pentecostal gay friendly church this Sunday, I'm not .

It may be a pro gay church but I don't believe in God or religion.

I'm going to go there with him but to me it's all fantasy and at any rate the Church don't like gays , these new "woke" churches are popping up supporting LGBT community but still I think religion can be evil.

I don’t know what Pentecostal Churches are like in Australia, but if they’re anything like the ones in the US, you’re in for a surprise

You should go to make your bf feel better. He probably would like knowing you’re open minded to church. Most pinoys are very religious after being conquered by the Spanish.

Just go and day dream. Or think of the great sex you might have later. When I went to church with my mom, I would stand in the back and leave early, sometimes masturbating in the car.

• Members
40 minutes ago, alvnv said:

I don’t know what Pentecostal Churches are like in Australia, but if they’re anything like the ones in the US, you’re in for a surprise

I suspect the Pentecostal churches here in Australia are very similar to those in the United States. The main one is Hillsong, which has had its fair share of scandals revealing the leadership to be first class hypocrites. On May 21 this year the Australian people voted out our first Pentecostal Prime Minister, Scott Morrison. Blessed relief!

9 minutes ago, Ruthrieston said:

Warning! Possibly this will be a long, boring story so read at your peril!

A wonderful post. Beautifully written with great honesty. You are never boring and always provide a different view from most of those expressed here.

I'm not sure if you enjoy classical music but some of your history reminds me of Britain's finest pianist Sir Stephen Hough. Deeply religious as a teenager, he believed he was destined to become a priest. Music was his other passion and when he won one of the world's top piano competitions aged 21, he abandoned ideas to become a priest and instead became a concert pianist. Although gay he remained celebate well into his 30s. Signing autographs after a concert in New York, a young professional Asian man asked about future concerts in London. They arranged to meet there a month or so later. They have been a couple for around a quarter of a century.

Hough is an extraordinary individual. In addition to being a pianist with more than 60 CDs to his name, he is also an accomplished painter, poet, composer and author.  The Economist magazine named him one of 20 living polymaths. I thorougly recommend everyone to read his first book The FInal Retreat. It's a small slim volume about a priest at conflict with his views about the Church. He is a middle-aged gay man who tries to face up to Church teaching and increasing sexual desire.  It is not about the recent scandals in the Catholic Church. It's more a personal journey which is troubling, depressing and . . . well, I cannot give the ending away. I hope those not interested in the subject will forgive my quoting from one chapter. Many focus on sexuality and gay sex. The focus here is on the priesthood.

"I look back over my priesthood – twenty-five years, my anniversary is next year. How pointless it all seems, as if I had sailed to a desert island after my ordination and begun to live some weird fantasy life there about which no-one knew anything or cared. My memories are like shells, dry and empty and dead, the tide creeping in and out and slowly reducing them to sand. Blank squares in a out-of-date diary.

"What did I think my life would be like after I was ordained? I'd iived around priests since infancy so I knew the public face, but I didn't know about the private failures and the sheer monotony of their lives. Failure: 'the omission of expected or required action', as one dictionary puts it. Interesting that it's defined as a passive fault ... omission. Jobs have goals, the achievement of which is their very definition. To be a pilot is to fly a plane. To be a bricklayer is to lay bricks. Priesthood is infallibly 'effective', so the theologians tell us ... but underneath theology's theoretical confidence is the constant undertow of practical failure. We fail to lift spirits or heal souls. We answer big questions with little lies. With a few exceptions we fail to make a difference, week after week. Omission is the invisible footprint behind every step."

• Members

To me (only me), spiritual living is to seek comfort and peace within my own soul.  I don't preach, I don't impose my religion to anyone and I don't judge someone if they don't share my belief, (I am religious but I am not a priest).  It is his own theory that a priest is a "job" like the "job" of a pilot is to fly a plane.  He fails to lift spirits or heal souls, he thinks that is the purpose of his priest job, if he fails it, who's fault is that?  But what about lifting his own spirit and heal his own soul?  Did he even accomplish that?  (I think some priests do lift spirits and heal souls, especially in people's grieving process).

3 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

Warning! Possibly this will be a long, boring story so read at your peril!

This was 1987 when thigs were really bad. Every day we saw half our patients die, nine or ten mostly young gay men in their teens and early twenties. Many of their families disowned them, though many others came to support them. After a couple of years of this, losing friends and colleagues to AIDS, too many to count, my faith finally died. I tried really hard to hold on to may faith in God, but so matter how hard I tried my faith was gone. To this day I miss my faith, but it is gone. 

A most interesting read!  However I don't quite understand how losing friends to AIDS led to death of your faith? 

• Members
15 hours ago, scott456 said:

Please don't wear flipflops or slippers to the church 🤣

I had a friend some 50 years ago that attended and walked up to RC communion in bare feet. The idea being that it was consistent with JC’s messaging of simplicity and humility, contrasting with the bells and whistles of priests’ (hierarchy) garb. But ewwww, fungal risks. 

That's another thing I don't like about the Church , particularly the Catholic religion, ridiculous that they don't let their priests marry .

I wonder how many of the younger generation now start as priests ?