jdp103

First Visit

Hello!   After quite some time reading the posts here, I have finally decided to make my first trip to Bangkok.  Circumstances aligned that offered me a week to spend in Thailand in early November. 

Using the posts here and some You-Tube videos, I have some idea of how to get around.  I plan to hire a tour guide for at least 1 day, early in my visit.  I would like to see some of the palaces and other highlights of the city/area.

As a newbie, I have some questions I thought I would pose here:

I see there is a metro, BTS, but what is MRT?  Are they the same? 

Do you need to show vaccination proof still?  Is the QR code on my phone ok?

I read about getting a SIM card for your phone.  Why is this?  I have used my phone in Europe by letting Verizon know and paying a nominal daily fee.  Does this not work in Thailand?

I am scheduled to arrive at the main airport (not going to try spell out that one) on a Friday afternoon around 4pm.  Probably not the best time, but I think I should taxi to the hotel (The Raya) and learn my way around the subway later.

I remember seeing a particular tour company recommended but I don’t recall the name?

I have been to several clubs in Montreal and really enjoyed myself, but I have never had an “off” of one of the models.  Anyways, thanks in advance for guidance.  I’m looking forward to my first trip!

6 hours ago, jdp103 said:

Hello!   After quite some time reading the posts here, I have finally decided to make my first trip to Bangkok.  Circumstances aligned that offered me a week to spend in Thailand in early November. 

Using the posts here and some You-Tube videos, I have some idea of how to get around.  I plan to hire a tour guide for at least 1 day, early in my visit.  I would like to see some of the palaces and other highlights of the city/area

I read about getting a SIM card for your phone.  Why is this?  I have used my phone in Europe by letting Verizon know and paying a nominal daily fee.  Does this not work in Thailand?

Some of your questions can be answered by doing a Google search.  As for a SIM card, likely you can use your phone same as you do in Europe, but don't know if anyone can call you?  Do  you use Line or Messenger both  of which are common in Thailand.

9 hours ago, jdp103 said:

Using the posts here and some You-Tube videos, I have some idea of how to get around.  I plan to hire a tour guide for at least 1 day, early in my visit.  I would like to see some of the palaces and other highlights of the city/area.

As a newbie, I have some questions I thought I would pose here:

I see there is a metro, BTS, but what is MRT?  Are they the same? 

I am scheduled to arrive at the main airport (not going to try spell out that one) on a Friday afternoon around 4pm.  Probably not the best time, but I think I should taxi to the hotel (The Raya) and learn my way around the subway later.

I remember seeing a particular tour company recommended but I don’t recall the name?

I have been to several clubs in Montreal and really enjoyed myself, but I have never had an “off” of one of the models.  Anyways, thanks in advance for guidance.  I’m looking forward to my first trip!

Friday afternoon.... 4pm, traffic jams!

Tour service:  I assume you are on sawatdeenetwork?  https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/forumdisplay.php?7-Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand  click on the link for tours at the top to go to siam roads tour service https://siamroads.com/ .  the guide will be happy to teach you about BTS, gogo bars, massage parlors and grindr.  The guide will meet you at airport if you desire.

SIM:  you dont need one, last I knew, verizon charges you $10 a day minimum If you allow the phone to connect (and you told them to allow international service, otherwise keep it on airplane mode or turn off mobile data and use the wifi's).  I used AIS, (booths at airport), they will insert the sim and make sure it works.  local service is very inexpensive compared to verizon.  Best to have a second cheap old phone to use for this as your American phones are generally not dual sim capable (some newer ones that use eSim are).

Offing men:  ENjoy!  fun to shop in the gogo bar "stores" for that perfect man.  Grindr and hornet work fine for getting that.  You can set up your first man in the taxi on the way to the hotel.

Enjoy paradise .....  

Jealous man

10 hours ago, jdp103 said:

Welcome to the forums and. You are in for a ball.

Like mentioned above taking taxi on Friday afternoon is asking for prolonged view of Bangkok from being stuck in traffic. Take train instead unless you have plenty of luggage.

Station is in the very bottom of airport and is well posted. Ticket cost 45 baht , can be bought in the machine or there's ticket counter too,  it takes 30 minutes to arrive at terminal at Phaya Thai. Then is short walk like 100 meters to Phaya Thai BTS (elevated rail ) station. You need to purchase separate ticket ( I think 30 or 35 baht ) there to Sala Daeng Station.

After 2 station you arrive at Siam station where you just cross platform  and take Bang Wa bound train , again 2 stops and you are in Sala Daeng station. Leave station  on the right side of direction of train , find Thaniya street, walk her short length and you will find yourself at Suriwong street , right in front of Raya.

This way is cheaper , likely faster , more fun and you will taste local life right away. Be prepared for crowds though.

As mentioned above exchange kiosks right by train station in the airport offer one of best exchange rates everywhere. 

Booth in airport itself and there's plenty of them offer bit worse rate but at least no need to shop as it's uniform in all of them.

Raya is great choice , very short walk from gay bars , MOONLIGHT is practically opposite in small alley but well posted. No problem with visitors , reception is on 5th floor. If you will be assigned room on other floor you will never see them until check out. Main entrance is closed midnight to 6 am but there's service elevator operating in the parking area.

Beer Garden restaurant opposite is great choice and opened till well past midnight but there's no shortage of places to eat in Bangkok day or night including  world famous UNESCO heritage Foodland Patpong restaurant opened 8 days  a week , 25 hours a day.

When visiting Grand Palace , one of Bangkok and indeed world's main attractions make sure you don't wear shorts, common newbie mistake. This may be a case in other temples as well.

I recommend visit atop of MahaNakhom, that's tallest building in Bangkok and you can't miss it as is looks like partially eaten by KingKong or Godzilla. You will see Bangkok from 300 meters above which gives you good grasp of the place  and if your heart beat is low you can step on glass floor  atop to see even more. While atop make sure you visit toilet o the same level where elevators down are - perhaps best toilet view anywhere in the world. It's not a cheap  treat  perhaps 800-1000 baht unless you are senior , then you can go for 250 

any questions, just ask

Just one suggestion for sightseeing. The Siamroads guides are excellent and well worth the price. The Grand Palace and the Wat Phra Kaew complex has been mentioned by @vinapu and is a definite must. There is a dress code for temples and some other major historical buildings. No shorts, no flip flops and arms must be covered at least to just above the elbow - i.e. no tank tops. To get there I would suggest to your guide going by public boat along the river rather than any other means as it gives you a better feel for the city. Getting there from your hotel by the Skytrain (BTS) is easy. Just get the train 4 stops to Saphan Taksin (I think it is now 4) and there is a ferry pier within about 50 meters. There is a boat stop very close to the Grand Palace entrance. There is also a fast Express Boat if you prefer.

That part of the city is often not easy to access so you might consider making a full day of it. Not far away in the Dusit area is the all-teak royal Vimanmek Mansion originally built as a royal Palace. which has tours at various times of the day. I believe the entrance ticket for Grand palace includes free entry to Vinanmek Palace. But one caveat is that the Mansion was closed for major renovations which took several years and it is extremely difficult to find out on the web if it is finally open again for public tours. Your guide will check. The symmetrical quite lovely Wat Benchamabophit temple is only a sort walk away and well worth a visit. 

Your guide will also ensure you are not scammed by the tuk tuk drivers who stand close to the Palace Entrance.  They prey on tourists by informing them that the Palace is closed for an hour but they can give you a short guided (and expensive) tour around nearby areas to kill the time. 

Lastly, remember that in Thailand it is the law that you carry around your passport at all times. Many do not do this, instead preferring to take a photocopy of their personal information page. In that case, best also to photcopy the page with the stamp in the passport showing the date of entry into the Kingdom.

If the train is a viable option for you, I’d take it. I arrived around midnight this trip and taxi was default option. The driver was worst speed demon I’ve yet encountered, passing every vehicle in sight during moderate rain. It’s not all that uncommon for graveyard shift workers to use meth to stay awake.

There are two options for making connection to Silom using airport train: the one described above and the other involves transferring at Makkasan station to the MRT line at Phetchaburi station. Get off MRT at Silom station. 

image.jpeg.8bad4851bcedf08c28cf8df434efe113.jpeg

Have just re-read messages here and see that you are at the RAYA hotel.
It looks close enough to walk to  from the Sky Train  (BTS) station Sala Daeng--- or subway (MRT) station Silom.  Again, contact the hotel for advice on how to get to the hotel from skytrain or subway.  It's really direct but involves crossing a VERY busy crossing. Safer to cross via the elevated walkways.
In the quaint Thai way the two stations are in the same place except one is underground and the other is 'in the sky' - elevated.

Your hotel is certainly in staggering distance from Silom Soi 4 and Patpong 2 (Patpong two connects Silom and Surawong roads).
Surawong  has very late night roadside stalls selling delicious and cheap food (ignore the stalls with deep fried cockroaches, locusts beetles etc.).

Makasan-silom would be less people but longer walk at makasan interchange. Phaya thai is a much shorter walk but expect train to be full at rush hour. If you are not rushing, taxi wont be that bad, as u can fully relax in the comfort of the car. If u travel light, train is cheaper and faster indeed

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

no flip flops

Ive never noticed this rules before and have been wearing my flipflops all the time. I do know no footwears inside some of the temple buildings though, so you will need to remove your shoes or flipflops. 

Makasan-silom would be less people but longer walk at makasan interchange. Phaya thai is a much shorter walk but expect train to be full at rush hour. If you are not rushing, taxi wont be that bad, as u can fully relax in the comfort of the car. If u travel light, train is cheaper and faster indeed

16 minutes ago, spoon said:

Ive never noticed this rules before and have been wearing my flipflops all the time. I do know no footwears inside some of the temple buildings though, so you will need to remove your shoes or flipflops. 

I've always thought this to be the case, but to be honest I've rarely visited temples etc. in my 22 years living here.
In fact, I think, even sandals had to have backs and no shorts (only long trousers). The palace ,at least, would lend or hire them.

Also depending on how much luggage you have, the BTS will likely be quite full at that time of the day so it would be a little difficult to travel with a suitcase. MRT possibly a little quieter? May I also suggest if you go the MRT route, get off one station after Silom - Sam Yan. The walk is a little further but you don't have to cross busy Surawong Rd to get to the Raya. If it is raining, then I would forego the above options and just catch a taxi!

4 hours ago, Patanawet said:

In fact, I think, even sandals had to have backs and no shorts (only long trousers). The palace ,at least, would lend or hire them.

no problem with flip flops or sandal in any temple of any religion, speaking from experience as  in warm climes including where I'm,  when weather permits I wear plastic Birkenstock sandals both going to church and visiting temples

Buddists and Muslims are taking off any footwear anyways before entry

4 minutes ago, vinapu said:

no problem with flip flops or sandal in any temple of any religion, speaking from experience as  in warm climes including where I'm,  when weather permits I wear plastic Birkenstock sandals both going to church and visiting temples

Buddists and Muslims are taking off any footwear anyways before entry

In my experience, Thai friends have always asked me to remove shoes and sandals  and place then on the racks outside the doors.

3 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

For the first-time visitor I'd still recommend using a taxi. The train journey requires you to buy tickets, find your way on foot between stations and then from station to hotel, with luggage, in the heat, in a non-English-speaking environment with a weird alphabet, after a long flight, in the wrong time zone...

At some point culture shock is likely to strike. The "old hands" posting otherwise good advice here may have forgotten what that was like 🙃.

while your advice is sound and spot on I completely disagree with it.

It's part of travelling fun to find yourself  in alien environment and try to find our way there .

I guess most of us can recall our first hours of first trip   to  Thailand ( or any other place for that matter ) but remember noting from day 3 or 7. Yes it may be a bit stressful but in my opinion worth it. Thailand will not have second chance to make first impression when new arrival takes taxi.

But reader is right, train is available only 6-24 so past midnight taxi is only option unless one is arriving at say 4.30 am , then waiting for first train makes sense- my case in May  

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

Thinking about it a little more thaiophilus you're right . Although it might be a long journey there will be lots new to see and hear.

I agree with you too. I'd be really stressed having to change trains and then look for the walking route from the train/ BTS station. But then, I'm not very adventurous.