jdp103

First Visit

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

not only in homes , many massage places for example are requiring or at least expecting the same

Sorry vinapu, I cut your message a bit short; I was referring to temples and palaces.
But now you mention it, I always make to take my shoes off before going into a home -- many times the residents will say "don't bother" when they see me start.
Go into a block of 'working family residences' and each front door will have loads of shoes outside.
Sorry I've digressed from the original message.

20 hours ago, reader said:

If the train is a viable option for you, I’d take it. I arrived around midnight this trip and taxi was default option. The driver was worst speed demon I’ve yet encountered, passing every vehicle in sight during moderate rain. It’s not all that uncommon for graveyard shift workers to use meth to stay awake.

With all respect to @reader I think the comment about drugs does a great disservice to taxi drivers in general. Over the last two decades I have probably taken more taxis from first DMK and then BKK to the city centre than any other poster - over 250 trips. As a very regular commuter to my business in Hong Kong, the Emirates flight I have taken dozens of times usually sees me in a taxi around 12:30 am. I have never once had cause to complain about getting back home in around 30 minutes at that time nor about excessive speed. The great thing about arriving around that hour is that there are absolutely no traffic jams. If arriving at 8:00 in the morning, I would not even consider a taxi given the horrendous jam to get into the city. 

I fully undersand there is likely to be the odd bad apple, but the only problem I have encountered on the airport run is a doctored taxi meter. That was easy to spot because I know how much the trip should cost making allowances for stops at traffic lights etc. On that occasion I took photos with my camera of the driver, the meter and the taxi licence number. The driver then refused to accept any payment!

I wasn’t in your taxi when you encountered the doctored meter. You weren’t in my taxi as it raced to Silom on slick roads. 

I’ve never encountered a doctored meter. You’ve never encountered a speeding cabbie.

Guess we can booth consider ourselves lucky.

I still contend the use of ya-ba to stay awake is not uncommon. Excessively high-speed driving is a common indicator.

Did I not say “The driver was worst speed demon I’ve yet encountered, passing every vehicle in sight during moderate rain.”

That implies I’ve encountered others before that speed excessively and are likely on meth. I believe it occurs more often than the rare bad apple category suggests.

13 hours ago, reader said:

Guess we can booth consider ourselves lucky.

I consider myself lucky I survived day time trip on motorsay taxi  along Suthisan Rd to MRT  station of the same name in May. Positively scariest thing I ever encountered in Thailand in my 22 trips. Up to then I was big fan of motorsai taxis but now I have my doubts

It's interesting to see all of the variety of opinions on getting around. Several trips ago I used the AOT limo service during AM rush hour. I think I paid 700 baht for one of those London cabs. Quite comfortable and no worries about the traffic jams or tolls. I frequently use S&P Limo to just arrange a car transfer. I figure I can afford it and it's very comfortable, so why not. Part of it is laziness I suppose but with luggage I'd prefer not dealing with schlepping around public transport. 

With respect to SIM cards I used to always just get a DTAC plan and SIM. But for the past few years I've been using a product called FlexiroamX. They have multiple products including eSIM, SIM card or SIM overlays. They have lots of different plans including worldwide, by region, or country-specific and they frequently have big sales that make it really cheap. It's data only, but if you use something like What'sApp or Google Voice you can essentially make calls and send texts with just a data connection. Or use Wifi connection. I'd imagine that using a US provider's international calling plan is by far the most expensive. It's easy to swap out your US SIM for the local one while you're in Thailand. Of course you can't receive calls at your US number unless again you are using something like Google Voice.

Thanks everyone for the responses.   I am getting excited for my trip next week.  I’ve incorporated many of your suggestions as I plan my visit.  Few more questions if I may.

I have never used the Grindr app – I may download and see how it works.  Hopefully I can easily set my location as Bangkok not home.  Although if I have good luck at the gogo bars, I may not need an app. 

I’m thinking of trying the massage places in the afternoon.  I see there are several within walking distance of the hotel.     They all look inviting – any current favorites?  Once I get the hang of the BTS, I may venture farther out to the K-Man Spa.  I’m receiving their daily message showing their line-up of great looking guys!

I plan to check out the gogo bars in the area each evening.  I know I will enjoy the “shows” they have going on.  Is it worth going earlier than 9pm?  I’ve seen videos where the barkers are showing signs and it seems they do not start until around 10pm. 

Is Grab the preferred taxi service?  Does it work like Uber – request a ride on the app?

I have booked a tour guide for Saturday.  The KingKong building sounds like a must-see. 

Where is the best place to get condoms and lube?  I’m guessing I need to have them ready?

Thanks again for all the help.   Going to be fun!

6 hours ago, jdp103 said:

I have booked a tour guide for Saturday.  The KingKong building sounds like a must-see. 

Where is the best place to get condoms and lube?  I’m guessing I need to have them ready?

Going to be fun!

Fun is sure bet

King Kong building is called MahaNakhon and you don, t need a guide for that. Opens at 10 and I suggest you go early. Crowds in the afternoon may be bigger and air cloudier/ hazier. 

Plenty of pharmacies and 7/11 stores in Silom area, all will help you with your condom and lube needs. Mouthwash too. 

9 hours ago, jdp103 said:

Is Grab the preferred taxi service?  Does it work like Uber – request a ride on the app?

Grab works like Uber.

Unless you need condoms of king Kong size, 7-11s will be the easiest places to get condoms and lube. What you may wonder is where to find 7-11s. In Thailand, they are so numerous, you can hardly walk 300 metres anywhere without seeing one. 

I prefer MahaNakhon at sunset so you can see the city in daylight and then as the lights come on.

I think the Grand Palace and surrounding area including Wat Po is also a must even though the tickets aren't cheap. These days it's easy to reach via MRT or by river boat. The public transport is fairly straightfoward if you have any experience with such systems.

You'll have a great time. I love the chaos of Bangkok.

6 hours ago, jdp103 said:

I made it to 4 massage places.  I kind of felt I owed it to K-Man Spa since they keep sending me messages with pictures to select.  I went to a different club each evening – DreamBoys, Moonlight, FreshBoys, Tawan, Hot Male, and Jupiter.  Oh what times I had.  Each club fun, and each provided an “off” to spend the evening with.  I even tried 2 guys at the same time (remembering to let the first pick the second – as recommended on this blog).

Can you share which club you offed the two guys from?