reader

Why one of Europe's top airports has become a 'crazy mess'

From CNN Travel

image.thumb.jpeg.ba5bbee400732cc9812c86bd64f77a56.jpeg

Amsterdam (CNN) — Hours-long lines for security that often snake outside under tents. Untold numbers of angry passengers who have queued in those lines -- yet still missed their flights. Worker strikes and delayed or lost baggage. Condemnation by major airlines, most notably KLM. 

At Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, labor shortages continue to fuel unprecedented chaos that began in the spring, prompting many travelers and aviation insiders to wonder what has happened to an airport long considered one of the most efficient and highly regarded in Europe -- if not the world. 

The beleaguered airport -- the world's third busiest for international passenger numbers in 2021 -- has continued to cut flight capacity, infuriating airlines such as KLM, the national carrier of the Netherlands whose hub is at Schiphol. The latest round of cuts asked airlines to implement reductions up to 22% for the winter season -- a "hopeless situation, lacking any perspective," KLM said in a release. 

KLM added that the situation is "damaging our reputation among passengers who are keen and willing to travel after the extended Covid crisis." The airline estimates it has incurred more than 100 million euros (about $96 million) in damages as a result.

Over the summer, several airlines, including Air Malta, TUI and Transavia, opted to shift flights from Schiphol to other airports, according to Simple Flying. 

Many have placed blame on mismanagement, and on September 15, Dick Benschop, president and CEO of Royal Schiphol Group, announced his resignation. Benschop will remain in place until a successor is found. 

Benschop was a keynote speaker at the World Aviation Festival in Amsterdam, a conference attended by about 5,000 aviation industry professionals, where Schiphol's struggles were a common topic of conversation.

Continues at

Haven't we heard virtually the same about London's Heathrow - huge queues for check-in and security, late arrivals and departures and airlines asked to cut a large number of flights to enable the airport just to operate?

I must have been one of the lucky ones at Amsterdam. I took four inter-European flights in and out of Schiphol in mid-March. Two arrived early and two departed bang on time. But the walk required within the airport to get between gates was as long as almost anywhere.

23 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Haven't we heard virtually the same about London's Heathrow

Yes - and Paris airports too over the summer. All used staffing shortages as excuses - doesn’t seem entirely plausible.  Major airports in Spain, BCN & Madrid had no issues. 

• Members

The EU (and Nederlands government) want to stop flights within Europe to save the environment. Schiphol put a $250 tax on my friend two weeks ago for a flight from AMS to Prague to discourage air travel within Europe. (the fee was lifted 2 days later but it's supposed to go back in). In the meantime they are not making it any easier for tourists to use the trains. But they are serious about stopping as much intra-Europe air travel as legal no matter what the loss of jobs or tourists. This summer they required hotel thermostats during the heatwave to be changed to go no lower than 80F (27C). 

The folks running the EU are batshit crazy.  

6 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

This summer they required hotel thermostats during the heatwave to be changed to go no lower than 80F (27C). 

8 years ago I overnighted twice at the Holiday Inn at Helsinki 's Vantaa airport. The room was fine but I found when trying to work it was becomming quite cold. Could I find a thermostat anywhere? Nope. Since no one at reception bothered to answer phones, I made the long trek. The young lady told me that the hotel had done extensive research and found that 21 degrees was the most commonly accepted room temperature. So the temperature could not be changed. I told them quite forcibly that they clearly had not checked with anyone who lives in the tropics! I ended up with a tiny electric heater which was on full blast and not very effective for both my stays. 

9 hours ago, tassojunior said:

This summer they required hotel thermostats during the heatwave to be changed to go no lower than 80F (27C). 

This is what I have at home in the summer  and it works quite well for me, thank you. No, I'm not cheap as electricity is included in my condo fees so no real savings for me but I think summer is for us to feel warm, not cold, fact missed by some of my co- workers

• Members
13 hours ago, PeterRS said:

8 years ago I overnighted twice at the Holiday Inn at Helsinki 's Vantaa airport. The room was fine but I found when trying to work it was becomming quite cold. Could I find a thermostat anywhere? Nope. Since no one at reception bothered to answer phones, I made the long trek. The young lady told me that the hotel had done extensive research and found that 21 degrees was the most commonly accepted room temperature. So the temperature could not be changed. I told them quite forcibly that they clearly had not checked with anyone who lives in the tropics! I ended up with a tiny electric heater which was on full blast and not very effective for both my stays. 

Cold is bad enough but at least there's layered clothing. People with respiratory problems and the elderly can die from high heat/humidity. Little enough oxygen in what we still call "air" as it is. I bought a 10" fan I carry in my carry on and have plugged in by the bedside all summer trips since many hotel chains here have upped the temp in summer too. If the EU doesn't want us flying in Europe but using trains I wish they would get shuttles from airports to train stations and new user help. I've always hated CDG and used to live by Schiphol in Amstelveen. But I'm routing all my Skyteam trips now through CDG instead because of the AMS mess. Rather risk French strikes than that.