reader

The return of Super A

Super A was the first bar I left without finishing- or even starting- my drink. It was 1997 and my first ever visit to Bangkok. In those days, if memory serves, it was upstairs, above its later location. At the signal from the mamasan , as I sat down-the only customer- the guys, about twenty of them, removed their briefs and started pleasuring themselves. They were doing it for me, for me alone. Embarrassingly, I was the centre of attention.

It was all too much for an innocent newbie such as me and so I made my excuses and left.  

30 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Nature Boys and the now dead Golden Cock were a lot more fun for those looking for sleaze.

I never had the pleasure or displeasure of visiting Super A but talking of sleaze, I am hoping that since Golden Cock has moved to Nature Boy that the sleaze element is still there? I would love to pay them a visit on my next trip for a bit of harmless fun in the bar. 

7 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Sofas which looked as they accommodated far more bugs than those who sat on them. Three boys on a stage, almost always fully dressed, and making little or no movement. A few others fully dressed sitting on bar stools on the right of the stage eyes glued to their phones and a few to the left on other sofas eyes also glued to phones. 

If you decided any of the boys was worth a drink, he would come and sit beside you. Little or no conversation but jeans might come off and he would sit in shorts. He would not object to a bit of hanky panky. Occasionally a dick would appear especially if a second drink was purchased. At least drinks were not expensive. But not one of the boys looked as though they either wanted to be there or enjoyed being there. Certainly, providing enjoyment for customers seemed very far from their minds. Nature Boys and the now dead Golden Cock were a lot more fun for those looking for sleaze.

The good news is that the sofas are now vinyl. Other than that your recollections are spot on.

6 hours ago, TMax said:

I never had the pleasure or displeasure of visiting Super A but talking of sleaze, I am hoping that since Golden Cock has moved to Nature Boy that the sleaze element is still there? I would love to pay them a visit on my next trip for a bit of harmless fun in the bar. 

They had a few guys sitting outside that same night so I believe you’ll be in luck. 

13 hours ago, Londoner said:

Wasn't there a bar opposite, with the same ownership, back in prehistoric times? I recall it being considered even more sleazy than Super A in my Thai Scene gay guide circa 1997.

There was indeed. It was a bit larger and had more boys but I do not recall its being more sleazy. I believe its name was Super Lek. But there was also a far larger bar at the end of that soi that was still going in the mid-2000s and I cannot remember its name. Perhaps that was Super Lek.

53 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

There was indeed. It was a bit larger and had more boys but I do not recall its being more sleazy. I believe its name was Super Lek. But there was also a far larger bar at the end of that soi that was still going in the mid-2000s and I cannot remember its name. Perhaps that was Super Lek.

Yes that was Super Lek. It was a larger Show Bar with a stage. And many handsome young guys!! I was taken there on my first trip back in 2003 by a German friend. We both found dates for the Night and several days after... AHHHH the Memories.

There was a bar called Khun Sweet Cigar?

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

The one that Michael Notcutt, the estimable author of Thai Scene mentions  was directly opposite Super A and was under the same management. I suspect that it was long gone by 2003.

There was indeed; and a guy there has the honour of being the first ever Bangkok guy that I offed. The bar was in the soi leading to Super Lek....I think.

Surely  there must be an old-timer or two who can inform me as to what the bar directly opposite Super A was called?.

A further memory. I bought the Michael Nottcut  guide in 1995 for my first visit to Thailand. The sleazy bar was given a detailed description. About three or four later an up-dated version was published which I still have. The bar in question is not mentioned. 

AKA Khun Bar. I think it had dropped the "sweet cigar" title. Perhaps a response to Bill Clinton's (alleged) proclivities.

I suspect this subject may be boring some readers and so, as a final comment dragged unwillingly from  memory, I recall that the name of the  bar in question was related  to that of  Super A. You know, like Super B......