Olddaddy

What was your favourite TV show?

I sat watching the TV last night in a long time , switching the channels 

Haven't watched TV for years actually,that's because a combination of working shift work, going to gym , and a social life as well as all these reality shows I see advertised that I'm not interested in eg Big Brother, the voice ,Simon Cowell talent show etc etc 

So I reminiscing about the 70's 80's and 90's when TV was a big thing to many families.

I miss THE BILL👮‍♂️, that was one of favourite shows on the ABC every Tuesday & Saturday nights back in the late 90's had the highest ratings here in Australia.and english comedies , wasn't into SOME MOTHERS DO have them .

My favourite forget the name now was Mrs Slocombe and "I'm freeeeee!

You don't get tv shows like that anymore 

35 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

My favourite forget the name now was Mrs Slocombe and "I'm freeeeee!

That would be Are you being served.

I can't stand reality tv shows and truly hate the way the networks here in Australia are flooding the airwaves with so much of it, the worst by far are those pathetic looking for love shows (Farmer wants a wife, The Real Love boat, The Bachelor etc etc... more like pathetic losers). As for my favourites, wow so many to choose from, MASH, Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, the earlier series of The Bill were good but I went off it towards the end when they started replacing the old characters and numerous cops turned crooks. Adding to the list, New Tricks, Wire in the blood, Blackadder, Mr Bean, I could name a lot more but too many to pick just a single favourite. Going for the oldest on my favourites list I would say Steptoe and son, followed by Dads army and On the Buses.

Yes I went off The Bill too when they started replacing the old characters such as Reg etc .

On the buses, love they neighbour, George & Mildred , 

Now it's just rubbish on TV 

I try to get a lot if the English drama  off ABC iView 

My TV watching now goes back 60 years and there are lot of programmes that I have enjoyed, but the ones I remember with particular fondness are the ones that made me laugh, some have already been mentioned, Dad's Army, Yes Minister/Prime Minister, Blackadder, but I would add, Men Behaving Badly, Last of the Summer Wine, It Aint Half Hot Mum, and The Carry On Films.

But also as others have said, I very rarely sit and watch TV now. I might put the news headlines on for a few minutes each day. Otherwise I tend to watch DVDs or something off NetFlix depending on my mood and how much time I have. 

From the UK, England ... I've always liked Keeping Up Appearances.  In the USA, I enjoyed The Twilight Zone, The Ernie Kovacs Show ... amongst others.  I've purchased DVDs of the entire Keeping Up Appearances series and occasionally view them.  The Twilight Zone reruns are frequently aired on cable TV.  For some unknown reason, I don't think The Ernie Kovacs Show is available for viewing.

6 hours ago, a-447 said:

My favourite show was called "Keiji Koronbo". You know it better as "Columbo" starring Peter Falk.

Loved Columbo , ...." oh just one more thing"🤣

What about Murder she wrote, Quincy , and loved The Odd Couple !

2 hours ago, Mavica said:

From the UK, England ... I've always liked Keeping Up Appearances.  In the USA, I enjoyed The Twilight Zone, The Ernie Kovacs Show ... amongst others.  I've purchased DVDs of the entire Keeping Up Appearances series and occasionally view them.  The Twilight Zone reruns are frequently aired on cable TV.  For some unknown reason, I don't think The Ernie Kovacs Show is available for viewing.

Mrs Bucket 😂

• Members

As a kid: any episode of Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie.

Now... the French spy thriller "The Bureau" (or as it is known in France, Le Bureau des Légendes), which they are supposedly doing an American re-make of. Highly recommend for anyone who likes espionage stuff. You can watch all 5 seasons for free with a VPN set to Australia and making an account here: https://www.sbs.com.au/

Much reality TV is absolute rubbish, but it seems that's what the masses crave nowadays. The lowest of the low for me is that 90 Day Fiance Series. I am certain the producers deliberately pick individuals who are serious character misfits. Many are just plain dumb, although I caught one episode with a very handsome and sensible early 20s South American boy.

I, too have a hankering for the great tv series we used to get back in the 60s and 70s. Many have already been mentioned. To the list I'd add Rising Damp, The Lovers, Porridge (all with Richard Beckinsale, a wonderful TV actor who died much too young aged just 31), Till Death Us Do Part, Fawlty Towers and some of the great solo comedy shows like Hancock's Half Hour, The Two Ronnies, and Morecambe and Wise. Let's also not forget some of the great drama series - The Forsyte Saga, I Claudius (Sir Derek Jacboi at his finest), The Jewel in the Crown (the Paul Scott Quartet which I picked up as a DVD and still watch - what a cornucopia of acting talent with Dame Peggy Ashcroft, the great Eric Porter, Fabia Drake, Charles Dance, Rachel Kempson [the wife of Sir Ralph Richardson], Tim Pigott Smith etc.), The Onedin Line, Upstairs Downstairs, Callan, The Avengers, Dr. FInlay's Casebook (the original version with Andrew Cruickshank), A for Andromeda, etc.

Having emasculated its movie offerings after getting rid of the main HBO channels some years ago, many True Visions channels now are a disgrace. The main move channels show endless repeats of movies many of them decades old with gaps througout for promos. Occasionally Channel 240 in Bangkok - the Series channel - has some really good series but you have to check exactly when the episodes are being shown. Recently London Spy with the excellent gay actor Ben Whishaw, the equally excellent Jim Broadbent and the quite wonderful Charlotte Rampling was fasinating. A short series of Agatha Christie stories was interesting, the more so as in one John Malkovich played Poirot!

In the last year I have even noticed True Visions is airing more and more programmes in European languages that have no English subtitles, There's a long thriller series of 12 episodes that looks interesting but is only in Dutch. Others are only in Spanish, German and the other day I compained about a movie totally in French. Each time I phone to complain I get the same old boring arguments. But they do give me a 15% discount becase those programmes do not have English sub-titles. So I just keep phoning and keep getting the discount. I recommend it!!

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Porridge with Richard Beckinsale, a wonderful TV actor who died much too young aged just 31)

I totally forgot about Porridge and yes Richard was a wonderful actor, a brilliant tv series, also to add to my list Auf Wiedersehen Pet. 

2 hours ago, reader said:

Rumpole of the Bailey, starring Leo McKern as John Mortimer, the real-life criminal barrister and author.

image.jpeg.a87bdee982576e104cff4bbd5d0da008.jpeg

I loved him in that famous Australian movie with Graham Kennedy ..."Travelling North" 

Good older movie if U can watch it 👍

4 hours ago, TMax said:

I totally forgot about Porridge and yes Richard was a wonderful actor, a brilliant tv series, also to add to my list Auf Wiedersehen Pet. 

1989 and I was driving cabs in Sydney,in hopped a lady who was starring in the Play at the theatre had no idea who she was ,picked her up from  the Hilton hotel to the  Civic theatre, I stopped outside the theatre ,she demanded the "stage entrance" , I had no idea where that was,she got angry as there was a large crowd outside lining up I guess to see her 😂

I said to her I have no idea where the stage entrance is ,just get out here !

She got angry before taking off her jacket and wrapping it around her face and head and hopping out of the taxi ,no idea if she lined up like everyone else ,about 2 week later I called into the taxi company to answer a complaint written  by her producer ,I guess she would be dead by now ,poor old soul  😂😂