PeterRS

British Politics Now A Sad Farce!

If it was not such a disaster, it would be a farce! Boris Johnson who was an ardent remainer, sees an opportunity, turns 180 degrees and leads the campaign to get Britain out of the European Union. He knows his Conservative Party has never been fully wedded to the EU and sees an opportunity, His Brexit campaign wins - just! He manoeuvres his way to the Premiership and starts a Trrump-like litany of disasters. At least he achieves Brexit for which his government and civil servants were not prepared and has led not only to exporters having to fill in reams of paperwork, but to a whole host of other problems that could have been foreseen - but old Boris was not interested. As long as Brexit was achieved, he had completed the job. British orchestras touring Europe will have been far down the list, but what used to be a simple matter has taken on the proportions of a a massive exercise with alll manner of new paperwork and huge visa fees for parties of 100 or so required for each country visited.

As the late Queen cut a sad and lonely figure at the funeral of her husband of 73 years, Boris was holding an illegal party at his official residence, one of many he held there when his government's advice to the British people was to avoid parties. He then lied to the House of Commons. He became the first British Prime Minister to be censured by the British Police.

With his political party fed up of his lies and bluffing, his Ministers resigned. The party then kicked him out. The party's selection process for a new Prime Minister is one of the most ridiculous in all politics. Of the 8 who stood for election, including some highly qualified and much admired like Jeremy Hunt who had been pro-European and served many years in the PM's cabinet (although not Johnson's) including as Foreign Secretary, the voting process restricted to Members of Parliament short listed two of the weakest candidates. These were then put out for a vote to just a tiny number of Party members around the country - 173,000, the majority by far over 65 years old. Ms. Truss who had never been a favourite in the early polls of MPs then won and became Prime Minister.

She was apointed by the Queen just two days before the monarch's death on 6 September. She then announces a bold economic policy promising to get Britain moving and on track to prosperity. Then what happens? The bold tax initiative explodes like the Hiroshima bomb. Absoltuely no one believes it will work. The markets collapse, sterling falls to its lowest level in decades, the Bank of England has to step in to buy bonds to prevent mortage companies from going bankrupt, she fires her self-chosen Chancellor (Finance Minister) and close friend, reverses course and goes before the British pubic yesterday. It's another disaster. SHe is forced to bring back Jeremy Hunt and install him as Chancellor. No doubt in order to accept this poisoned chalice he has rold her that he will be his own boss and to hell with her economic agenda.

Her time as Prime Minister may last until Christmas.  It may not last beyond next week. Britain is an a dreadful mess!

... and she's gone, setting a new record. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63309400

One of the things that first fascinated me about Thailand was its bizarre politics, with so many parties and  and a continuous succession of new scandals,  new governments, new constitutions. Where else would a PM (Sarit, 1952) launch a coup against himself? Where else would a party bring down the government by not standing for election? (Abhisit, 2006)

TiT, I thought. Couldn't happen anywhere else. Little did I know...

The nonsense just gets worse. Now the dreadful Boris Johnson is being considered by some as the ideal candidate to restore the fortunes of the ruling Conservative Party. This despite the rules of his party forbidding a PM who has resigned from standing again. But then Johnson never bothered with rules. This is the man who was kicked out of the PM job when much of his cabinet resigned not so long ago and for the litany of untruths he had inflicted not only on the UK people but worse on his fellow parliamentarians. Britain's only PM found guilty in a police prosecution. 

For decades those in the UK have laughed when talking about the chaos of multi-party politics of Italy. Funny how Italy has always survived quite well whereas the UK now is in a state of near total meltdown. As we have seen in the USA, a two party system - or one where two parties have the vast majority of seats - becomes a mockery when the very people elected only want to hang on to their seats and their salaries. Or as with Trump to avoid a litany of illegal deeds.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, vinapu said:

Looks like Stalin announcing that Kalinin asked him to form govrnment

Pity, but you have no idea about Russian history. Kalinin was elected as a head of state in 1919 - time when Stalin was almost nobody, it was Lenin's time. Late he was many time reelected on this position until 1946 when he left this job via resignation. His job is most closely to describe as president, but after revolution it was mostly decorative function since everything was under control of communist party.

1 hour ago, Moses said:

Pity, but you have no idea about Russian history. Kalinin was elected as a head of state in 1919 - time when Stalin was almost nobody, it was Lenin's time. Late he was many time reelected on this position until 1946 when he left this job via resignation. His job is most closely to describe as president, but after revolution it was mostly decorative function since everything was under control of communist party.

Where did I mentioned year 1919? 

Whan Stalin become premier Kalinin was still head of state, as figurehed  as British monarchs are. 

As for me not having an idea about Russian history, all I can say is watch your mouth young man ! 

But I fully agree it's a pity if one doesn't have an idea about Russian history. I bet every Russian student knows Catherine the Great, Zhukov and Kutuzov but do they know Beria, Yagoda or Yezhov ? 

If they knew, perhaps they'd assess better their country present adventurism.

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

As for me not having an idea about Russian history, all I can say is watch your mouth young man ! 

Don't tell me what should I do, and I will not tell you to where you should to go.

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

Whan Stalin become premier Kalinin was still head of state, as figurehed  as British monarchs are. 

Even now, after my note, you didn't find time to check facts. Kalinin always was elected and reelected. He never been appointed to any position by Stalin. Firstly Kalinin was elected to position of head of state in 1919 and then many times was reelected till his resignation in 1946.

P.S. From all long period of Stalin's rule, Stalin was premier only from 1941 till 1953 and that was quite formal, because since 1922 he also was Secretary General of CPSU.

On 10/22/2022 at 2:48 AM, PeterRS said:

The nonsense just gets worse. Now the dreadful Boris Johnson is being considered by some as the ideal candidate to restore the fortunes of the ruling Conservative Party.

Fortunately, despite the assurances of the (more?) dreadful Rees-Mogg he has chosen not to stand even though he still thinks he's the best person for the job. That probably means that an Invisible Hand made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Anyway, Prime MInister of the day is now Rishi Sunak. Can he beat 45 days in office?

On 10/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, vinapu said:

Looks like Stalin announcing that Kalinin asked him to form govrnment

7 hours ago, Moses said:

Even now, after my note, you didn't find time to check facts. Kalinin always was elected and reelected. He never been appointed to any position by Stalin. 

Check my post before I check my facts, who said Stalin appointed him ? Not me. 

Anyways they are both dead. 

13 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

Fortunately, despite the assurances of the (more?) dreadful Rees-Mogg

Rees-Mogg is surely a mere caricature - a puppet with someone's hand stuck up his backside making him move and a record of 1950s BBC clipped English being played out of his mouth. A frightful man!

If I recall correctly, his father was a much more intelligent and wiser man.