Olddaddy

Jomtien complex

6 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I had this feeling all the Farang business got together to set a price minimum for drinks as they seem to be all the same price.

What is the average drink price in the Complex now?

Can anyone confirm / update if Doug (previous owner of Toolbox Bar in Phnom Penh....my favourite bar ANYWHERE lol), ended up opening a bar in the Complex?

A few of the boys I keep in contact with who used to work at Toolbox say he has, but are unsure of the bar name. But have also heard on one of the boards (can't remember if it was this one or another) that was incorrect.

8 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I had this feeling all the Farang business got together to set a price minimum for drinks as they seem to be all the same price.

Maybe so but still it's cheaper than Boyz Town and more lively , by the way most of the bars there are not profitable and  the farang owners are doing it as hobby. 

16 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Maybe so but still it's cheaper than Boyz Town and more lively , by the way most of the bars there are not profitable and  the farang owners are doing it as hobby. 

I don't know about profit but one owner told me a bar there sold recently for 3 million baht 😳😳😳😳

3 hours ago, Aux1010 said:

Can anyone confirm / update if Doug (previous owner of Toolbox Bar in Phnom Penh....my favourite bar ANYWHERE lol), ended up opening a bar in the Complex?

Not yet....he was sitting in @home bar the other night. I asked what the plans were, don't remember the reply, It was late and I was drinking 🙄

4 hours ago, Aux1010 said:

What is the average drink price in the Complex now?

A few of the boys I keep in contact with who used to work at Toolbox say he has, but are unsure of the bar name. But have also heard on one of the boards (can't remember if it was this one or another) that was incorrect.

Doug is yet to make a move on a new bar. Many of us are praying he does something soon. The complex needs something new. The old formula is failing. 

As for drink price fixing. Yes, one farang bar owner tried to fix drink prices at 100 baht / beer. Some bars went along with it, others didn't. Complex prices are getting stupid, when you can walk 20 meters to one of the newer "pop up" bars and pay 30 - 40% less for drinks. Greed will be many bars downfall. 

3 hours ago, floridarob said:

Not yet....he was sitting in @home bar the other night. I asked what the plans were, don't remember the reply, It was late and I was drinking 🙄

What happened to the toolbox bar in PP? 

35 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Is Complex trying to chase Bangkok on prices ? 

I don't think they are trying to do anything more than increase their profit margins. Bribes are up, rents are going up. 

While it might sound insensitive, nobody running a bar in Jomtien Complex comes from a business background. I know of a truck driver, a janitor, ect ect. This may be changing with the new JEWEL bar. Or maybe he will just leave it to his boy to turn into another Asian party bar.  

Every new bar copies the bar next door. There is not new ideas. No ingenuity.  Same shit uncomfortable furniture. Same overprices warm beer. Same fake liquor (spirits). More disinterested boys because the bar owners don't pay them a salary and expect them to work for free. 

Hopefully things will change. My hopes are on a Toolbox 2.0!  

I didn't go to many bars when I was there in July .

I think most popular are the Scottish guys bar ,I didn't go there though as it seemed crowded and  as i don't like people I avoid busy bars .

On 10/16/2022 at 9:02 AM, Olddaddy said:

I was hoping to read the actual prices in the thread but they are not mentioned.

I'm ready to be shocked 🙂

43 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

I wish Sunee Plaza would come back again.

What's the future for that place you think 🤔

With shortage of tourists only expats cal keep it alive but it looks thay prefer Jomtien.

I guess slow death is all awaiting Sunee.