BlkSuperman

Robbed in Santo Domingo!!!

• Members

be careful guys. Someone using Grindr was set up and robbed at gun point in Santo domingo last weekend.

This is why it is so important to use Manny's guys or have security at your hotel or airbnb. 

I can recall a few times hearing the doorbell ring at night when my husband and I stayed at a few apartments without security.

We weren't expecting anyone, but someone was downstairs ringing the doorbell. This happened a few times we were there.

Be cautious and alert when you are there. Screenshot_20221017-205004_Facebook.thumb.jpg.aa1bb81e0a95b5cec2ae54aa97e5a619.jpg

51 minutes ago, BlkSuperman said:

Someone using Grindr was set up and robbed at gun point in Santo domingo last weekend.

this is a problem in many places - Europe, US & S America.  Especially with younger guys targeting older tourists. It’s across all hookup apps & not just Grindr.  
Vast majority of robberies are non-violent & do not get reported because the victim is embarrassed.  If you’re over 50 and using apps to meet, assume the worst (and hope for the best) because most app users are much younger and looking to meet guys in same age group.  There are those rare circumstances where a hot young guy wants to meet an older guy because they are into it, but it’s statistically not the norm. 

if you’re a gringo tourist in Mexico/Central America/South America and do not speak the language and use apps to hookup, then you are a prime target IMO.  Even worse if you’re in an unsecured AirBnB or hotel with no security.  The bad guys know that if they can get into your accommodation, then all your cash, credit cards, documents and electronics are within reach. 

Texas Man Is Sentenced for Using Dating App to Target Gay Men
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/us/daniel-jenkins-gay-men-target-texas.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-12/grindr-robberies-man-pleads-guilty-federal-charges

• Members

So true @Slvkguy 

In Latin America, I only stay in hotels with good security that demand visitors register their ID at reception before being allowed into the elevators.

6 hours ago, Slvkguy said:

Even worse if you’re in an unsecured AirBnB or hotel with no security.

It bemuses me when posters new to Latin America ask for recommendations of hotels and AirBnB places that don’t check their visitors and their identity. However discreet the poster may be, some small embarrassment does not outweigh the considerable risk of being beaten and robbed by strangers

In my apartment building here in Sydney Australia, a few years ago several Irish traveller guys were arrested after targeting a gay guy from Grindr in my building.

He was a young fem guy who met this Irish guy who tied him to a rocking chair and stuck a dildo up his bum before robbing him.

When the cops were here many were laughing about it when I saw them 🤣

• Members
On 10/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, Olddaddy said:

In my apartment building here in Sydney Australia, a few years ago several Irish traveller guys were arrested after targeting a gay guy from Grindr in my building.

He was a young fem guy who met this Irish guy who tied him to a rocking chair and stuck a dildo up his bum before robbing him.

When the cops were here many were laughing about it when I saw them 🤣

I am glad the Australian police was able to find and arrest the bad guy.

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

I am glad the Australian police was able to find and arrest the bad guy.

Yes those naughty rough hard bodied Irish travellers😍🇮🇪🇮🇪

• Members

I'm sure that's the reason why they make those suggestions. You never know what ppl are planning so that makes it a lot easier for them to catch you off guard.

But not all hotels allow local visitors. Some charge a fee and others require ID in order for your visitors to gain entrance.

A hotel would probably be your best bet. You would just need to find out what the visitor policy is before booking.

The Palacio hotel may still allow visitors without a fee. I haven't stayed there in years though so I'm not 100 percent sure. 

If you know someone there maybe they can suggest a hotel for you. 

Best wishes!

On 10/18/2022 at 2:30 AM, Olddaddy said:

many were laughing

Compassion probably about the same with cops in Canada. Really varies between individuals. I've seen stories in the papers where police put in a lot of effort into finding the attacker and gathering evidence. And others where they talk to the victim and then the attackers.... it's usually more than one person, and then say there's no point laying charges. One gay kid in Vancouver called his elected representative the next morning, who promptly called the police chief who called back soon after and said there had been a big misunderstanding, the case was still open.... the two bullies were charged and pleaded guilty. There were witnesses the officers at the scene refused to talk to.

Some degree of paranoia in the responses, bordering on scare tactics.  Yes, don't be stupid.  No matter the country we visit.  And don't be reluctant to look with scant eye at a business suggesting we patronize their business because the owner says his/her environment is safer than another.  Set your banking and credit card limits to acceptable levels and secondary approvals before charges/withdrawals are made.

• Members
12 hours ago, xpaulo said:

Compassion probably about the same with cops in Canada. Really varies between individuals. I've seen stories in the papers where police put in a lot of effort into finding the attacker and gathering evidence. And others where they talk to the victim and then the attackers.... it's usually more than one person, and then say there's no point laying charges. One gay kid in Vancouver called his elected representative the next morning, who promptly called the police chief who called back soon after and said there had been a big misunderstanding, the case was still open.... the two bullies were charged and pleaded guilty. There were witnesses the officers at the scene refused to talk to.

I have seen stories in south/central America where the police stole things from foreigners while doing search, and stories where police frame tourists then threaten with fines.  In south/central America, the police is actually part of organized crime, the corruption is immense.

2 hours ago, scott456 said:

I have seen stories in south/central America where the police stole things from foreigners while doing search, and stories where police frame tourists then threaten with fines.  In south/central America, the police is actually part of organized crime, the corruption is immense.

The same things happen in Mexico, not only to tourists … but Mexicans, too.

6 hours ago, scott456 said:

In south/central America, the police is actually part of organized crime, the corruption is immense.

Brazilian friends tell me the police are totally corrupt in Rio - tourists and residents should beware.  São Paulo police much more respected by citizens & likely to assist without corrupt intent.  

10 hours ago, Slvkguy said:

totally corrupt in Rio

There was a scandal in Rio with business owners paying police officers to murder young boys who would swarm a tourist. I talked to an American woman at a hostel who that happened to. She started dancing with a little boy at a street party and all of the sudden there were ten little boys all running their hands through her clothes looking for valuables... it was only a matter of seconds.

48 minutes ago, floridarob said:

I'll take the risk of a little danger for the much better sex....I might get around to a trip report, but Thailand can get so annoying with generally lackluster sex. I'm enjoying Bali much more....

I’m luxuriating in Bkk….but I’m not as much work 🙂

5 hours ago, floridarob said:

I'll take the risk of a little danger for the much better sex

This makes sense in a weird way.  Although the run-ins w police in Brazil should be at a minimum.  The only time I came close was on the way to Galeao for a night flight back to US. The military police were randomly stopping cars at that base station right before airport. Driver said do not speak English or say a word.  The car & driver were from a hotel I’d been staying for about 10 days.  All handled without incident but it felt like a shakedown where anything could happen. 

16 hours ago, reader said:

I’m luxuriating in Bkk….but I’m not as much work 🙂

I've always said BKK is great for food, hotels and massage......but sex, it's not worth it anymore it seems....just spoke with Namazu, he's agreed as well. My friend from NYC that was with me, said Thailand can't hold a candle to Brasil for sex....we all must be a lot of work, 3 of us VERY different from each other, me: Frugal bottom  and looking for fun guys that can perform, Namazu, not frugal by any means and is vers, My NYC friend doesn't understand the word frugal, stayed at the Peninsula rented a room at Tarntawan for screenings, would go to every go-go bar every night in search of.....settled for a couple of Laos guys from grindr.

I understand that many love Thailand, but how much satisfying sex is there on average, I've read so many reports of guys not being able to perform and still getting paid for it, wtf???

• Members
On 10/26/2022 at 6:25 PM, BlkSuperman said:

I'm sure that's the reason why they make those suggestions. You never know what ppl are planning so that makes it a lot easier for them to catch you off guard.

But not all hotels allow local visitors. Some charge a fee and others require ID in order for your visitors to gain entrance.

A hotel would probably be your best bet. You would just need to find out what the visitor policy is before booking.

The Palacio hotel may still allow visitors without a fee. I haven't stayed there in years though so I'm not 100 percent sure. 

If you know someone there maybe they can suggest a hotel for you. 

Best wishes!

I just realized your Twitter account was suspended. WTF?