iendo

Lima Peru - candidate for longer stay

I'm searching for a city where I can spend 4 to 6 months. Current options are Pattaya, Medellín and Mexico City. Instead of extending my holiday in Pattaya next month, I might go to Lima for a few weeks to see if it might be a destination for longer term stay.

How does Lima compare with the above-mentioned destinations?

I would want to book an apartment that doesn't have joiner restrictions. It should also be at walking distance from restaurants and the gay area, if something like that exists.

Any information or stories are welcome. I'm going to start doing some research via Google today, but I do trust you guys the most.

🙏

• Members

I can’t speak to the comparison with the cities you mention @iendo but Lima is a very interesting and big city. 

There are many sophisticated restaurants and bars. Culture and nightlife can be quite glamorous. Streets seemed safer than in Buenos Aires. Travel to other cities in Peru is easy from Lima. 

Our visit was pre-pandemic. We had no problems as a gay male Caucasian couple (my partner is much younger).  One aspect of Peruvian society really surprised me, however: racist attitudes prevailed among the upper classes, and racist remarks were readily made by professional people. 

1 hour ago, msclelovr said:

One aspect of Peruvian society really surprised me, however: racist attitudes prevailed among the upper classes, and racist remarks were readily made by professional people. 

Racist towards which race/ethnicity, or to foreigners in general?

It is difficult to find information that is current. Just like you, many talk about Peru before covid. I do think that Miraflores a good candidate is for an apartment.

• Members
42 minutes ago, iendo said:

It is difficult to find information that is current. Just like you, many talk about Peru before covid. I do think that Miraflores a good candidate is for an apartment.

General speaking, racist is about race, not about tourists.  Racist is usually some kind of degrading treatment towards people of color.  @msclelovris a white gay couple, so they are treated better than people of color..

Tourists of white race are better treated than tourists of color.

I don't like racist culture, so I will not bother going to Lima.  I am sure some people love getting preferential treatments.

In America, I always counter people when they say racist words, I would say "white trash".

• Members
14 hours ago, iendo said:

There’s no xenophobia. High-spending foreign tourists are very welcome.

The racism seems to be based on skin-colour. The upper classes are ‘white’ and we heard people remark disdainfully about non-whites and persons of mixed-race. The common epithet was “dirty”. For instance, they looked down on Brazilians yet were unbothered about Venezuelans (who tended then to be middle-class and light-skinned). 

14 hours ago, iendo said:

do think that Miraflores a good candidate is for an apartment.

Miraflores is a good choice. It’s an upscale neighbourhood and safe.

• Members

Not sure about racist, definitely classist, as you will discover across many latin countries. The traditional campesinos population is often treated horrifically in Peru. Often they can be looked down upon in larger, urban centers as being less sophisticated than those who live a modern lifestyle. I once lived with a campesino family so I have witnessed this first hand. 

Lima is a very vibrant international city, with a large Asian population and a very cosmopolitan vibe. The local cuisine is outstanding. Much to love. However the disparity is obvious and, as a foreigner you will need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.  Your cash will go a long  way in Peru, and the scenery and excursions available are next level. The only advice I can offer is to relentlessly check and double check your accommodation to be certain you will get what you paid for.  Lots to love about the country and plenty of eye-candy in Lima.

• Members
3 hours ago, macdaddi said:

Not sure about racist, definitely classist, as you will discover across many latin countries. The traditional campesinos population is often treated horrifically in Peru. Often they can be looked down upon in larger, urban centers as being less sophisticated than those who live a modern lifestyle. I once lived with a campesino family so I have witnessed this first hand. 

Lima is a very vibrant international city, with a large Asian population and a very cosmopolitan vibe. The local cuisine is outstanding. Much to love. However the disparity is obvious and, as a foreigner you will need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.  Your cash will go a long  way in Peru, and the scenery and excursions available are next level. The only advice I can offer is to relentlessly check and double check your accommodation to be certain you will get what you paid for.  Lots to love about the country and plenty of eye-candy in Lima.

Racism and classism logically overlap. I have never been to Peru, but the litany classism vs racism sounds very familiar. Argentines sing that song, and it is just denial. Racism is prevalent in all south of the USA cultures I know. It is not the same brand of Racism that is mainstream in the US, but it is perhaps even stronger as awareness in these issues have been raising only during the last two to three decades. As it is different than theirs, Americans (specially White Americans) often fail to recognize it, but Argentina's is a very Racist culture. I know that Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, and the South of Brazil are also cultures definitively Racist.

I actually think that the focus on race is misleading, and hopefully globalization will not infect all our cultures with the American way. Rather than thinking it mainly from the point of view of race, and speaking of White Supremacy (where White means Anglo Saxon), I look at it from a more culture focused perspective. I look at it as European Supremacy, which is more comprehensive than White S, and gives more visibility to the Native American cultures suppressed by the invasion.

I am unsure about Peru, Bolivia, and Mexico, because those are cultures that have built a bridge with their pre columbian history. Their native cultures form part of their national identities and histories, unlike the USA or the countries I listed in the first paragraph. Their fight against European Supremacy is older and more successful, to the point that Bolivia is nowadays a fascinating experiment of syncretism. But even in Bolivia Racism highlights the clash between the Europeist White Bolivians and their Indigenist brothers.

• Members
On 10/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, msclelovr said:

The racism seems to be based on skin-colour. The upper classes are ‘white’ and we heard people remark disdainfully about non-whites and persons of mixed-race. The common epithet was “dirty”. For instance, they looked down on Brazilians yet were unbothered about Venezuelans (who tended then to be middle-class and light-skinned). 

• Members
On 10/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, msclelovr said:

Tourists are there for short time (perhaps a couple weeks), high spending tourists stay at 5/4 star hotels, eat at 5/4 star restaurants, and shop at nice malls.  They may get some souvenirs from street vendors but have limited contacts with lower class, let alone in depth observation on the social/racism issues.

If you live there for a few months and are in a local middle class apartment,  it would be a very different story.  If you are white and are looking for sex with guys of color, it could by easy, because by theory, you are a superior class, people of colors would love to be associated with you. If you are white looking for white, it will be challenging unless you are equally hot. If you are paying for sex, it's cheaper to get people of colors, this is pretty much an universal rule in central/south America. 

I assume you speak adequate español.  

I lived in Barranco area, Lima for 9 months. Lima is not a cosmopolitan capital like BuenosAires. After 9pm on any street and Miraflores area are completely dead. There are one or two theaters, tiny things and are not perform all year round. The actions only happen during the weekend, mainly Friday and Saturday night, and pickup place is in Kennedy’s park. City center is not safe and hardly any one after 9pm even on the weekend. Taxi and transportation via application are available, it has Metro runs until 10pm. 

along the coast from Barranco to Miraflores and a bit beyond is fine and the most safest area in Lima. 

sex and fun, with two gay saunas, one is active and fun but best visit during the day and early evening. Gay bars and mix 🕺 dico for pickups young native Peruvian.

with recent migration from Venezuela, there are plenty of young and beautiful Boys available on gay applications…… amazing choices and reasonable prices. 

Lima:  3 nights 4 days is plenty unless you madly in love with Food and young migrant from Venezuela. Recent trip, 8 months ago, I had an amazing three nights with some of the best good looking Latinos, mostly Young Venezulano.

Venezulanos, comes in all shades from very dark Carribean to Super white, very much like Brazilian. Peru in general is safer and you can be more relax. I’m getting hard just thinking of those guy……

ps, ask the questions on what services included before you settle with cost and never pay up front or send money upon the meeting. 90% of Venezulanos are straight and I love fucking straight guy, especially the gorgeous one. Long term stay, along the coast is the best place, walking distance to everywhere. All the best. 

1 hour ago, nikba2515 said:

I lived in Barranco area, Lima for 9 months. Lima is not a cosmopolitan capital like BuenosAires. After 9pm on any street and Miraflores area are completely dead. There are one or two theaters, tiny things and are not perform all year round. The actions only happen during the weekend, mainly Friday and Saturday night, and pickup place is in Kennedy’s park. City center is not safe and hardly any one after 9pm even on the weekend. Taxi and transportation via application are available, it has Metro runs until 10pm. 

along the coast from Barranco to Miraflores and a bit beyond is fine and the most safest area in Lima. 

sex and fun, with two gay saunas, one is active and fun but best visit during the day and early evening. Gay bars and mix 🕺 dico for pickups young native Peruvian.

with recent migration from Venezuela, there are plenty of young and beautiful Boys available on gay applications…… amazing choices and reasonable prices. 

Lima:  3 nights 4 days is plenty unless you madly in love with Food and young migrant from Venezuela. Recent trip, 8 months ago, I had an amazing three nights with some of the best good looking Latinos, mostly Young Venezulano.

Venezulanos, comes in all shades from very dark Carribean to Super white, very much like Brazilian. Peru in general is safer and you can be more relax. I’m getting hard just thinking of those guy……

ps, ask the questions on what services included before you settle with cost and never pay up front or send money upon the meeting. 90% of Venezulanos are straight and I love fucking straight guy, especially the gorgeous one. Long term stay, along the coast is the best place, walking distance to everywhere. All the best. 

Curious why Venezulano move to Peru? Not Brazil? 

• Members
5 hours ago, babybear2 said:

Curious why Venezulano move to Peru? Not Brazil? 

Venezuelans are spread all over the continent, from Mexico to Argentina, including Brazil. He did not say that all Venezuelans moved to Peru or that none moved to Brazil. They are everywhere, specially in national capitals and big cities. 

The rich Venezuelan moved to Europe and US. some years ago. The rest spreading all around south and Central America. Less in Brasil due to language and culture.
Also lot of them returned back to their homeland, especially those had gone to Argentina. Culture differences, they found Argentine cold and not what they had expected….. 

My travel mate found a club in Lima last weekend. That is to say, a boy told him about it. It seems to be around for a while, but I have not seen it in my search results. Very strange.

It is called Babylon, and it seems to be open 7 days a week. It looked like a real mix in there. From trannies to muscle boys to twinkies. 🥳

You've probably read other posts here about Medellin, but that's what I'd suggest. I have not been to Lima, but from what I read here, there are drawbacks. Medellin was sex paradise, if that's what you're looking for. Many available men - some free, some for pay. Good restaurants, clubs and saunas (I didn't visit any) and friendly people. Mexico City, Lima and Pattaya all probably have better food - Colombian food is pretty basic meat and potatoes - but the men in Colombia were among the hottest I've ever encountered on my travels. And the weather is also perfect - eternal spring.

7 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I just met a guy here in Sydney from Chile ,he said it's so safe for gay people.

I might have to go there next holiday 😂👍

Have you been to Bali....??

I was there for 10 days...my 3rd time in Bali once in Jakarta. ...so much cheaper than Thailand. Same issue on apps, fake pics, so you have to screen them well. But some are so nice and it feels less commercial than Thailand.

But the biggest thing I think you'd like, every guy I hooked up with, went right to rimming. I'm not into it, don't rim....but if someone wants to rim, I'll let them, for a bit.

Plus there's cut (Muslims) and uncut (Balinese) guys there ....I like someone to drink with, so that's a bit of a challenge, lol

On 11/3/2022 at 3:35 AM, joizy said:

You've probably read other posts here about Medellin

Bali always looks very good on YouTube. I love those villas with private pool. They seem to be dirt cheap.

The boys might be a bit too dark for my taste, though.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:35 AM, iendo said:

Bali always looks very good on YouTube. I love those villas with private pool. They seem to be dirt cheap.

The boys might be a bit too dark for my taste, though.

I spent two weeks in Bali and didn't have any luck (other than the airport when I was leaving). I think the issue there is that it's very close-knit, and people are very observant (and sometimes downright nosy). I was in Ubud. Other parts of Bali might be different. I did have fun in Medan, Sumatra though. Not a very attractive place, and definitely not a destination in and of itself, but I stayed at a hotel with a great pool that was quite cruisy, especially on weekends. Had guys follow me to my room (I was 30 years younger then) - had lots of fun!