BL8gPt

Koh Pha Ngan

I went to Ko Phangan once and regretted it. I went there specifically for a Full Moon Party, but every other Westerner there spent the entire night coming up to me asking if I had ecstasy. That's all people did ... spend the entire night looking for an illegal endorphin rush and being disappointed when no one had the necessary chemicals. Not only was no one having fun, the music was awful. The other problem with the island is the beaches aren't that great and full of trash. I wasted a day and a half getting there, a couple days there and a day getting back to Bangkok where I could have fun on Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4. If you are looking for a gay scene, stick to Bangkok and/or Pattaya. If you're looking for a beach holiday, there are better islands. But anticipate what you will want to do -- drink in the gay nightlife or enjoy the sun and beach life -- before arriving so as not to waste precious vacation days. 

1 hour ago, BiggusDikkus said:

I went to Ko Phangan once and regretted it. I went there specifically for a Full Moon Party, but every other Westerner there spent the entire night coming up to me asking if I had ecstasy. That's all people did ... spend the entire night looking for an illegal endorphin rush and being disappointed when no one had the necessary chemicals. Not only was no one having fun, the music was awful. The other problem with the island is the beaches aren't that great and full of trash. I wasted a day and a half getting there, a couple days there and a day getting back to Bangkok where I could have fun on Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4. If you are looking for a gay scene, stick to Bangkok and/or Pattaya. If you're looking for a beach holiday, there are better islands. But anticipate what you will want to do -- drink in the gay nightlife or enjoy the sun and beach life -- before arriving so as not to waste precious vacation days. 

I agree,  I went there many years ago stay 3 nights there. Awful experience the beaches are medicore, bapackares crowded ,night parties with awful music and drunks and drugged all over the place. No gay scene at all. Horrible experience never  came back. However the nearby island Kho Tao is a gem beautiful beaches,  quite and laid back ambiance very nice place for relaxing short vacation. 

Some time ago I did a day trip to Koh Phangan. Even in the daytime the beaches were nothing special and certainly not gay.

I'll put in another plug for the beaches at Khao Lak about 80 kms north of Phuket airport. Don't expect much gay life, if any, but it's a great quiet location to bring a young gay friend. Totally wiped out in the 2004 tsunami, Khao Lak is now a string of hotels set mercifully apart from each other along the most stunning beach. We spent a great 5 days there. 

Khao_Lak_mr4.thumb.jpg.bf0ce301714dd3205224ae66076a6d29.jpg

DSC06831.thumb.JPG.badd3dbcd5ec69ae4100c37a8d9e673a.JPG

I haven't been to Koh Samui since 1998. I was single then and, although I liked the island, the boat trips and my hotel on the beach, five days was enough and I was thrilled to arrive back in BKK. The gay scene was barely visible, though the lady boy scene was....too visible for my taste.

You are right; you'll need  a friend.  P and I have booked-up for March. I'll be interested to see what changes have occurred in those twenty- five years. 

I would not be travelling to Koh Tao given the recent record of unexplained deaths there, unless pinned on some Burmese labourer. The rumours that circulate about powerful local families operating with impunity in a closed community are not encouraging.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/millionaire-couple-found-dead-on-thailands-notorious-death-island/news-story/400c57bdd4948105d0c89882253afcdb

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

I haven't been to Koh Samui since 1998. I was single then and, although I liked the island, the boat trips and my hotel on the beach, five days was enough and I was thrilled to arrive back in BKK. The gay scene was barely visible, though the lady boy scene was....too visible for my taste.

You are right; you'll need  a friend.  P and I have booked-up for March. I'll be interested to see what changes have occurred in those twenty- five years. 

I have a friend there now, he texted me lot's of 20 yr olds all so easy going.....he's talking about on the apps no doubt.