reader

Phuket hails return of mega cruise ships

From The Nation

The world’s mega-cruise ships returned to Phuket after two years as the 5,600-berth Spectrum of the Sea docked at Patong Beach Pier on Monday.

The Singapore-based cruise ship – one of the world’s largest – was carrying 4,594 tourists from 59 countries, mainly Singapore, Malaysia, India, the Philippines and Indonesia.

Governor Narong Woonciew said it was the first large cruise ship to dock in Phuket in two years after Covid-19 crippled the tourism island’s economy.

He hailed its arrival as a strong sign that Phuket tourism is starting to pick up, explaining that cruise ship passengers usually have high spending power.

“We expect to see more cruise ships visiting Phuket, with about one vessel per week in the coming months,” Narong said.

6 hours ago, reader said:

From The Nation

.. .explaining that cruise ship passengers usually have high spending power.

From my very limited cruise experince ( 2 cruises, Western and EasternCarribean ) while this is true, not much of that spending power seeps into local economies other that port fees, some tour operators and guides and owners of market stalls and shops close to landing docks. 

Those who left ship mostly are herded into tours with few stops and little time to exercise that spending power on the ground. Very limited number wandered further than one block  from port area, were seen seating in restaurants, etc. Honestly I have my doubts about overall  benefits to local economies although local  powers may feel elevated by hosting those cruises in their cities.