Olddaddy

Brazil Elections this week

I see the Brazil Elections for President are this Sunday .

According to the news article I'm reading,poverty is at a sky high in Brazil.

Looks like the old leftist guy is the favourite,but no matter who wins they are all the same .

• Members
1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

I see the Brazil Elections for President are this Sunday .

According to the news article I'm reading,poverty is at a sky high in Brazil.

Looks like the old leftist guy is the favourite,but no matter who wins they are all the same .

Crimes come with poverty.  Everybody I know in Brazil told me to be extra cautious because the situation has gotten worse. I am at a point that I would not even carry my mobile phone or more cash than absolutely needed while walking on streets, and  I take Uber to anywhere farther than 10 minutes walk.  Some clubs are closed or on reduced days/hours, and have smaller crowd.   There are less police patrolling the streets.  I don't know what happen but I just feel this place is less fun than before.  I do not plan to visit Brazil again in the near future.  

14 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Does anyone know who will win the election ?

Lula is ahead in polls - but the problem seems to be that the conservative voters in Brazil, US & other countries are somehow undercounted in polls.  
Could be for a variety of reasons - but makes it all the more important that everyone votes and not take any polls for granted or a reason not to vote. 
Yes - poverty is through the roof in Brazil…but, that issue seems to be eclipsed by the electorates concern about political corruption, which is a both sides issue and just depends on party affiliation, meaning who you perceive as the party causing the corruption.  This is why the political conservative parties in US & Brazil engage in culture wars…to capture the conservative voters who have single voter issues like abortion, gun rights or other moral crusades. 

And guess what fuels the increasing global political polarization?  social media and disinformation are key drivers. They have to dehumanize the other side to fuel the hatred, division and sow chaos.  Kind of like online trolling on steroids. 

• Members

My Brazilian friend said Lula was very corrupt, stole a lot of money while he was in power last time.  There is a fear that if he wins, Brazil would become another Venezuela.  On the other hand, Bosonaro serves special interests as first priority, destroys Amazon forest, and is a racist.

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

My Brazilian friend said Lula was very corrupt, stole a lot of money while he was in power last time.

The Lula years were a period of rapid economic growth & millions of Brazilians lifted out of poverty.  Lula was jailed for corruption & subsequently released by the Brazilian Supreme Court.  Brazil is a fragile democracy w endemic corruption with all political parties.  It’s basically picking the least bad option.  The two sides are not necessarily equally corrupt tho - Bolsonaro is a far right authoritarian wannabee that attacks LGBTQ population for political points w his base, among other bad things.  The fear of Brazil turning into Venezuela is a far right Brazilian talking point - nowhere close to reality.  Lula was President of Brazil from 2003-2011, arguably the best Brazilian economy ever & most social progress.  

On 10/28/2022 at 10:37 PM, scott456 said:

My Brazilian friend said Lula was very corrupt, stole a lot of money while he was in power last time.  There is a fear that if he wins, Brazil would become another Venezuela.  

Somehow she did not become during his first stint at power, quite opposite I remember cover of The Economist showing yellow and green rocket and tittle "Brazil is taking off "

17 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Lula wins by the thinnest of margins. 

Yes - and Bolsonaro has not yet conceded the election.  Let’s see what happens w the peaceful transfer of power…Lula is inaugurated on January 1.

interesting tho that Bolsonaro & his wife have unfollowed each other on IG…..I mean, priorities !!  

she probably hates him, just like Melania