reader

Thailand welcomes over 7 million foreign tourists

From Tourism Authority of Thailand

Bangkok, 28 October, 2022 – Thailand welcomed over 7 million tourists between 1 January and 26 October, 2022, with the full year target for 2022 being between seven and 10 million visitor arrivals.

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said “With the difficult times of recent now behind us, Thailand is seeing its efforts across the board – from ongoing tourism marketing and promotion, to the Amazing Thailand SHA health and safety standards put in place – paying off, with more than 7 million foreign tourists having already returned to our shores so far in 2022.”

The total number of visitor arrivals for the 1 January-26 October, 2022, period was 7,349,843. The top five source markets were Malaysia with 1,246,242 arrivals, India with 661,751 arrivals, Lao PDR. with 538,789 arrivals, Cambodia with 373,811 arrivals, and Singapore with 365,593 arrivals. Tabulated by the TAT Intelligence Centre based on data from the Immigration Bureau, these totals do not include migrants, United Nations officials, and non-nationalities.

The top five points of entry to Thailand were Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok (3,891,196 arrivals), Phuket International Airport (958,027 arrivals), Don Mueang International Airport (564,008 arrivals), Sadao Border Checkpoint (451,578 arrivals), and Nong Khai Border Checkpoint (225,859 arrivals).

Now having fully reopened to international tourism, Thailand no longer requires tourists to show proof of vaccination or ATK test results, and a longer length of stay is being offered. Effective from 1 October, 2022 to 31 March, 2023, the period of stay is extended to 45 days (from 30 days) for tourists from countries/territories entitled for visa exemption, and to 30 days (from 15 days) for those eligible for a visa on arrival (VOA).

Major international and regional airlines are resuming flights to Thailand from countries around the world, while Thai Airways International (THAI) in its recently announced 2022-2023 winter schedule (30 October, 2022 – 25 March, 2023) is operating flights on 34 European, Australian, and Asian routes with increased frequencies on selected routes.

While I don't doubt increased demand, it could also have to do with QR's issues with their A350s. They've been putting their 380s back into service to make up for the loss of the 350s.

My original QR flight changed from an old config 777 to the 380. Then they canceled my originating flight so I'm stuck back on the old 777 for now. We'll see how many times that changes again between now and March

14 minutes ago, scott456 said:

travel now before the Chinese open the flood gate.

There is a lot of speculation as to when this will be.

My initial thoughts were that after President Xi secured his third term as leader of the ruling communist party that they would open up the flood gates.

But unfortunately, the Covid lockdowns in dozens of Chinese cities continue as part of their zero-Covid policy.

This recent Bloomberg article suggests that the flood gates won't open until sometime into 2023.

Bloomberg article - when will China reopen

33 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

There is a lot of speculation as to when this will be.

My initial thoughts were that after President Xi secured his third term as leader of the ruling communist party that they would open up the flood gates.

But unfortunately, the Covid lockdowns in dozens of Chinese cities continue as part of their zero-Covid policy.

This recent Bloomberg article suggests that the flood gates won't open until sometime into 2023.

Bloomberg article - when will China reopen

something I read said there's a big party congress meeting in March and that the speculation is that would be the earliest they would change policy. It's really crazy what's happening in there right now. Obviously the whole world economy is pretty well fucked right now, but I've been seeing a lot of reporting about how bad things have become in China. So even when things do reopen I wonder how many people will be traveling outside the country

11 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

These are very low numbers out of the 7 millions almost 50% are from neighborhood countries 

My thoughts too though 50% is too high a figure. The genuine tourists probably came in only through the international airports. These would number 3.89 million Swampy, 0.96 Phuket and 0.56 Don muang. Total 5.41 million.

But the more important thing is the upward trend. Now we just need many more of the gay ones, which the Patpong bars and their prices are probably doing everything they can to deter.

The big obstacle is lying somewhere else out of about 250 countries in the world only about 30 countries qualified for visa on arrival at the airport all other citizens need to go through a via dolorosa  process at their local Thai embassy,  more over visa run is much difficult to do now at neighborhood countries,  Sometimes I wonder if the Thai government really wants tourists coming in big numbers because their policy says opposite. 

• Members
18 hours ago, vinapu said:

Visited Angkor Wat yesterday

Yes!  I am in Siem Reap right now & I agree that it's an excellent time to visit the ruins.  Otherwise, I think it's going to take years (definitely more than one) for SEAsia tourism to get back to its pre-Covid levels but things are moving in a positive direction.  So, yes, travel now!

Have to join in with those advising to go now, if at all possible. 

Drink prices in the show bars have always been a topic of discussion here—and always will be. I agree 500 for Dreamboy is a lot but you’re also getting biggest show in town. For most of us, it will probably be a one-time take in. 

Coming in at 400, Freshboys delivers a solid, twink-dominated show in a more intimate setting. And high electricity costs have caused them to mercifully turn thermostat up to comfort range.

But beer prices at the street bars have hardly budged as while restaurant prices have only risen modestly. 

Hotel prices are no longer the outrageous bargains of six months ago but reflect good value.

Surprisingly, most massage fees remain unchanged and, in the more distant shops, competition has seen them actually go down a bit. Massage shops represent IMO the most experience for the money. 

19 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The big obstacle is lying somewhere else out of about 250 countries in the world only about 30 countries qualified for visa on arrival at the airport all other citizens need to go through a via dolorosa  process at their local Thai embassy,  more over visa run is much difficult to do now at neighborhood countries,  Sometimes I wonder if the Thai government really wants tourists coming in big numbers because their policy says opposite. 

Here is the official list of countries and requirements for entry (visa on arrival/visa exempt) into Thailand. The Visa On Arrival (15 days)  only applies to about 19 countries. About 46 countries qualify for Visa Exempt (30/45 days) and the rest of the world has bilateral agreements of 14, 30 and 90 days.

Of course there are then numerous other visas which can be applied for.

Very confusing!

Just one more item on flight costs. For years I flew regularly BKK/Hong Kong on the daily Emirates A380. Biz class price was rarely more than an amazing 14,000 baht even during the high season. Checked the first 3 months of 2023 yesterday. The price for biz class is now over 21,000.

I see from pics on the media that there were huge queues again at Swampy recently. Not sure if this isolated or not? The article also mentioned that one fast track queue had been closed which I noticed last month. I am due back on 27th Dec for New Year, so I hope things are sorted out. 

On 10/30/2022 at 9:03 PM, vinapu said:

Look of all those big hotels in Siem Reap being completely empty was, depressing, so yes they are waiting for Chinese

I believe they are mostly Chinese owned. My recent  guide hates the Chinese, as he says that  the locals get nothing from them. They arrive on Chinese airlines, stay in Chinese owned hotels, eat in Chinese owned restaurants, and travel on Chinese buses.

From the Thaiger

THAILAND

Foreign tourists swarm into Thailand

image.jpeg.2eba43f584217be976af6efc1353e547.jpeg

Immigration officials at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok are struggling to cope with the crescendo of foreign tourists flooding into Thailand. Pictures of the jampacked airport taken on Sunday, October 20, reveal a promising outlook for Thailand’s tourist High Season, which runs from November to April.

Between 1pm-5pm on Sunday, 76 flights landed on the airport’s runway, an average of 20 flights per hour. An average of 3,000 – 4,000 foreign tourists per hour passed through immigration that day, according to the Spokesperson for the Immigration Bureau Mj Gen Choengron Rimphadee. It is by the far the busiest the airport has been since before the pandemic. To ensure that arrivals didn’t have to wait longer than one hour at immigration, all immigration booths were staffed and officers spent no longer than 45 seconds checking the passport data, visa status, personal biometric data, and blacklist status of each arrival.

Commander of Immigration Division 2 Pol Maj Gen Montree Pancharoen said that although immigration officers are quick, they still do a thorough job to ensure that foreign criminals posing as tourists do not slip through the net and into the kingdom ahead of the APEC summit in Bangkok later this month, which will be attended by several world leaders.

In preparation for High Season, the airport increased the number of immigration booths from 92 to 112. During busy hours, every booth will be staffed, said the officer.

The airport is capable of checking in around 6,500 passengers per hour without compromising security, said Maj Gen Choengron Rimphadee.

Currently, Suvarnabhumi Airport is welcoming an average of 45,000 to 50,000 people every day and the airport only expects figures to increase.