Uqtyang

Nov 2022 Rio de Janeiro

• Members

Thu 3/11 - no longer raining, went to 117. Still a good turnout for a Thursday. They took away the swinging curtains in the hallway and Halloween deco on stage, but closed off the smoking bar tonight. The main bar was cold and music was load. I had a nice chat with my new Canadian friend, but did not go with any boys. There was a hot muscle guy who went to the closed smoking bar but when I chased there he was nowhere to be seen. I guess he is one of the strippers for the show. There was a hot daddy I fancy but when I saw him at 8:30pm he was already fully clothed on his way out. I got in perhaps at 7:30pm. My Canadian friend had fun earlier before I arrived. 

A few new faces from Mina’s gerais but I was not interested.

Notably one of the staff also put an extra layer of fat on after 2 weeks holidays. 

It reminds me to go back to gym tomorrow after my jet lag settles a bit.

• Members
22 hours ago, floridarob said:

Rain ruins a night....guys don't want to melt or something

I think many of the garotos live from 1-2 hours outside of Rio metro. May of them are from compo grande, nova Iguazu and other places I cannot pronounce the name. Omnibus and metro, and some guys on motorbikes. It is hard for them to travel in the rain.

i know one sauna guy who just broke his entire lower leg bones during a motorcycle accident in a shower evening. Still in hospital 2 months after. Feel sorry for him.

On 11/3/2022 at 2:37 AM, nikba2515 said:

beautiful Russian and Ukrainian

I had heard about beautiful Russian women on the job in Antalya, beautiful women in general in the city as it was the most European-like city I've seen in Turkey and the women wear tight jeans, etc. But are there also Ukrainian and Russian young men working there as well. I often notice how many hot-ish looking Ukrainian men there in news reports and so forth. Not conventionally good looking maybe.... but maybe it's a type of a masculinity.

9 hours ago, xpaulo said:

I had heard about beautiful Russian women on the job in Antalya, beautiful women in general in the city as it was the most European-like city I've seen in Turkey and the women wear tight jeans, etc. But are there also Ukrainian and Russian young men working there as well. I often notice how many hot-ish looking Ukrainian men there in news reports and so forth. Not conventionally good looking maybe.... but maybe it's a type of a masculinity.

With recent migration from those countries plus workers prior to the war started, they are plenty. Generally, during winter, lot of Russian and Ukrainian holiday in southern part of Turkey. Met them via an applications….

15 hours ago, nikba2515 said:

With recent migration from those countries plus workers prior to the war started, they are plenty. Generally, during winter, lot of Russian and Ukrainian holiday in southern part of Turkey. Met them via an applications….

Thank you for the tip :) I've heard that they usually stay in South Turkey near Anatolya? Bet it would be exciting to meet a nice person there! How do you get to know/ meet them?

• Members

I just spent 3 days in Rio and had a great time. I had fun at both 202 and 117. The day and a half that were decent beach days were perfect--not too hot and good crowd at Farme.

It's worth remembering security issues even if you've been there many times like I have. It three days I saw three thefts--including mine!

First day walking toward the beach at the end of Farme I saw a crowd of people chasing a little kid (probably not more than 11 or 12) who I think had just taken a cellular -- crowd was catching up to him and he tossed the phone into the street and got away after the crowd went for the phone--lots of yelling but no violence. Second day I met up with some friends at the beach who live in Rio. They were trying to find me by texting me but I always leave my phone in the apartment. Glad I did that day. We were standing, talking and getting caught up. Suddenly I noticed that my bag which had been directly at my feet a second ago was gone. Only lost about 150reals and an old Kindle reader. I always keep my apartment keys tied to the string of my bathing suit and guard them more than anything. My friends all said(and these guys grew up in Rio) that I was smart to be a paranoid tourist--that if it had been their bag they would have lost keys, phones, cards. The third incident was the most dramatic. I met a nice German couple (boyfriend/girlfriend) at dinner. On Sunday I was walking the closed street along the beach in Ipanema and ran into them again. They were saying how Rio seemed so much safer than they expected. Literally not a minute later out of nowhere a guy ran up and grabbed a chain off the girl's neck. A loud scream and a welt left behind but otherwise no harm. He was a block away before anyone could react. We all know to leave our jewels at home but I guess they didn't get the memo--still shocking though.

The point to recanting this is just to remind you not to get too comfortable and let your guard down. I have been pretty lucky in going there for 20 years but close encounters like these remind me to always be careful. I'm not sure crime is getting worse but 3 incidents close up in three days has me wondering.

• Members

unSAFE, where SAFE stands for Satisfactory Answer For Everyone. If nothing bad happens it was safe. If something bad happens it was evidently not safe. These impressions are made based on episodic data.

I have stayed an accumulation of several months near Gloria (117) and I have consistently felt comfortable. I would estimate that less than 1% of folks ambulating out and about are tourists, so it would be slim pickings for opportunistic crime, unless the felon is Cruella-replicated and after the designer dogs that seem to be on leashes possessed by all economic strata. But I dress and act to blend in. 

I have pretty much only been to Copacabana of an evening for the sole purpose of attending 202. In and out via Metro. I feel a bit more on edge for the short block or two between the concentration of populated street eateries, that fades out more distal from the station going north, and the club entrance itself. Again, this would not be a part of the district where foreign tourists are out for a stroll off the beaten path. Thieves seem to correlate their playbook with where the low-hanging fruit of visitors is more abundant. 

All this said, practice wisdom is evidently that eventually everyone will be initiated into one mishap or another stemming from premeditated or impromptu crime. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Riobard said:

unSAFE, where SAFE stands for Satisfactory Answer For Everyone. If nothing bad happens it was safe. If something bad happens it was evidently not safe. These impressions are made based on episodic data.

YES! 

(Not so) secretly, I enjoy that Gringos in South America feel as many minorities in USA streets: unsafe and targeted. 

• Members
9 hours ago, Menaughty said:

@asdsrfrhow do you navigate if you leave your cellphone at the apartment?

One more question, the area where 202 & 117 located, how safe are those areas?

I only leave my phone in the apartment when I go to the beach--otherwise I have it and use it as needed. I don't walk around with it out glued to the latest social media or news posts but use it for navigation and uber. A lot of people do indeed take their phones to the beach but things can disappear in an instant there. As far as the areas around 117 and 202--I think they are basically safe and I have never witnessed any crime near those venues and I have come and gone many times!

• Members

I must be old. How did I ever travel for decades prior to smartphones that began with shoebox sized devices with antennae? Amazing the skills that I along with contemporaries possessed. Everything seemed to click just fine. And I have hosted peers in Brazil and they refuse to possess a smartphone and do just fine venturing out on their own. It’s not a bullet-proof vest and the vague notion that it will inoculate you against street crime by conferring an edge is an illusion. It is actually more a type of crime magnet. 

I only need my phone, beyond it doubling as my indoor accommodations computer, for external Gig Econ services about one hour in total over an entire month. My age verification for free transport is my main resource. Otherwise, my phone is brought out with me only exclusively for Google Translate in garoto de programa settings. Left secure in my accommodations for all other activities out and about; about 10% of that component set aside for planned structured photo taking, later aggregated into short video montage. It does make sense to use it as a camera prn as opposed to carting around a decent true camera; the phone is more easily concealed in an ankle holster in combo with a more overt dummy decoy phone that I consistently have on my person. If held up robbery on the spot, better to produce a crap no-sim phone and a decoy billfold, acrylic not Komodo dragon skin, with dummy cards and a few hundred reais , possibly my crap worn out Swatch, possibly a worn out Ultra groceteria bag with a change of clean cheap panties, than leaving the felon angrily empty-handed.