vaughn

Taipei Info/Tips?

I have an overnight layover coming up in Taipei and it will be my first time in Taiwan, do we have any members with some info on the scene in Taipei?

I have some notes that the Red House & Ximending district is where the gay clubs and bars are located, but that's about all I know so far.

Aside from the apps, are there full service massage shops, saunas, or host bars / gogos that I should look into? (preference is bottoms/twinks if that helps)

edit: i'll add this link from PeterS, it's a good starting point for my research https://www.gayguides.com/gay-taipei/

If you are going to be on a weekend and are into saunas, don't miss going to Soi 13 in. It's in my opinion the best gay sauna in Asia.

3-stories with great facilities and the crowd is mostly slim and muscular young twinks and jocks. Plus, every night is naked night so there is so much eye candy going around.

The peak is usually between 6:30-9:00 PM, as local guys get a discount if they enter before 7:30PM.

I really enjoyed going there for Taipei pride the last two years before Covid. I would stay from 6:30-11:00PM. I think around 400-500 guys would pass on each night during those hours and not just Taiwanese but from all over East and Southeast Asia. It was pretty much non-stop fun. Really looking forward to do it again in 2023.

4 hours ago, fedssocr said:

There are several massage places. I really enjoyed Mudan spa - lots of handsome guys on staff. But there are several. Now that the train goes all the way to the airport it's much easier to get into the city relatively quickly.

It's a great city, worth much more than an overnight

I wish I had more than overnight, I will hopefully spend some more time there next year to explore properly

For only one overnight, it will be more convenient to stay near the Taipei Main Station or MRT Ximen Station areas, both areas are fairly close to each other. The airport MRT train goes to Taipei Main Station and from there you can change train to Ximen Station or simply take a taxi.

Listing below some venues in Ximen neighboring areas, unfortunately their websites are not all in English. Never been there though, just for reference.

Massage :

https://en.morganmanspa.com/

https://www.princespa.net/

https://www.havefunspa.com/products/all/1

Sauna :

https://www.facebook.com/hans1069/

http://soi13in.url.tw/

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I'm a regular visitor to Taipei, usually 4 times a year pre-covid. Back next week for 16 days.

For sauna, @hojacat is 100% correct. The only one worth visiting is Soi13in. Unlike @fedssocr, I find travelgayasia frequently disappointing and often inaccurate. For Soi13in it states it used to be called Rainbow. That's just not true. There was never a sauna in that location before. Rainbow was certainly a large sauna but the Taiwan guys who went there had an 'attitude' and foreigners were not always welcomed by other patrons. It was in a very different part of the city much closer to The Red House and closed several years ago. I believe the owners then opened Soi13in but the two are like chalk and cheese. Many twinks and many bottoms there. Take your own condoms and lube. There are other smaller saunas but frankly you could spend hours looking for them. For one night, just go to Soi13in. The easiest way to get there is the subway to Shuanglian on the Red Line (direction Tamshui), turn north-east out of the station and walk to the main road. Take the underpass, keep walking straight ahead and you will soon see it on your left as when you come to a left fork in the road.

Scan2022-11-05_224419.thumb.jpg.1450627eabc959ffbd3b49387e96832a.jpg

Never had a massage but I read on other forums that happy endings are not always possible and often are restricted to HJs. Best to check espeically if you want full service.

The Red House is rather like gay central but forget about there being clubs there. It is almost entirely cafes, bars and restaurants. Great for eye candy especially on Friday and Saturday evenings. Easy to get to by subway - exit 1 at Ximen station.

There are no gogos similar to those you will find in Thailand. There is one leather bar not far from The Red House called Commander D. Basically a leather fetish bar it is not to be confused with Commander Bar which is on the upper level at The Red House. Commander is basically just a bar. Commander D is located in a small basement in a residential area. Leather is not essential. It has special theme evenings which will often see a degree of nudity from the patrons. It also has a small stage and a dark room. But that is totally dark and so make sure you have no valuables on you if you enter. 

Getting around is easy IF you know where you are going. The subway is extensive and cheap. 

Taiwan gay guys are some of the loveliest and friendliest in Asia. But please be polite. Remember too that many gay guys go out with friends rather than solo and so in the bars it is sometimes less easy to find guys looking to meet up with a westerner. That's where the apps come are more useful. Change your photo and profile to taipei a few days before you arrive. Also remember that Blued is very popular in Taiwan. Money boys are not usual on the apps. Mostly it is younger Taiwan guys looking to spend time with westerners. MBs will usually tell you very soon after you start chatting. If you offer money to a non MB, it's possible this will might be regarded as an insult.

Oh yeah, the old Rainbow sauna in Taipei. Brings back good memories. I went there a few times during my first visit to Taiwan in 2011. The facilities were kinda basic and a bit old, but there were lots of young twinks among the crowd. I was in my early 20s so didn't have any problems getting in or finding action once there. I remember people were actually very friendly as I was a bit shy. I was pretty much still a newbie when it came to gay saunas at that time. I had just been to two of them the year before in Seoul. You're absolutely right that the location of Soi 13 in is not that of Rainbow. I was told that the building of Soi 13 in used to be a karaoke bar before, and that explains the layout of the cabins and the cruising area in the lower floor.

Also remember that Aniki sauna was all the rage 10 years ago, as the facilities were all brand new and the crowd tended to be younger and more muscular, albeit it was much pricier than Rainbow. I went a few times and it was truly a lot of fun. I think the last time was in 2016. Taiwanese friends told me that in the last few years it had become just a shell of its past self. The facilities were deteriorating fast, the crowd became much smaller but it still continued to have a higher entrance fee that Soi 13in. Read that it closed at the end of 2020. I guess, it means that the crowds at Soi 13 in will be even bigger now.

I agree with @PeterRS  about the friendliness of Taiwanese guy. Way more than Singaporeans or Hong-kongese imo. Good advice about Commander D (or just CD as local boys call it).  I would also recommend another bar called the Hunt, especially on their towel night. You pretty much are given a towel when you get in and that's how you go around the bar. They have a dark room, which gets really steamy:). I was surprised to see it referenced in a gay Taiwanese movie called "The Story the Stone" (a modern gay retelling of one of the greatest classics of Chinese literature).

For apps, beside Grindr and Blued, I would also suggest Hornet. It's quite popular in Taiwan and in a few other Asian countries.

1 hour ago, Antique said:

Would love to know the latest information on the hot springs to the north of Taipei. Huan Ding used to be sensational with queues to get in but I believe it has closed. Which are now the best ones?

Huang Ding was great for those seeking sex. It closed a few years ago having violated several laws over water quality. Most younger gays now go to a hot spring further down the hill named Huang Tzu. Entrance pre-covid was NT$250 (US7.80). If that has changed, I'll update on my return at the end of the month. My Taipei friends tell me it's almost the only one that attracts mostly gays. Bear in mind that it is  not gay as such and there are signs (only in Chinese) warning against any hanky panky in the steam room. Hot springs are often family affairs and I have seen fathers bring their young kids to Huang Tzu. The springs are fantastic for relaxing and seeing a host of totally naked young guys who have no hang ups about covering their dicks. I have found many are quite friendly and will happily chat with you if - as most seem to do - they speak some English. In all the times I have visited, I have seen at most 3 foreigners there whereas when it's busy at the weekends there can be 100 Taiwan guys.

1588004303_Screenshot2022-11-06at11_40_24.png.3687629e6742fdd002a47b63d9526b46.png

It's unlikely the taxi will take you all the way down. It will probably stop at a car park but it will only be about 80 meters down the hill on your left. 5 large pools, a small sauna, larger steam room. If you have been there before, you can take a bus up the hill for about 4 kms. If not, then don't even risk it as you will have no idea when to get off. It's quite dark up there. You then have to walk quite a way down the hill to the hot spring area. Best to take the subway Red Line to Shipai station, exit on the right in the direction the train is going and you will find a taxi rank just there. There are almost always taxis unless it is pissing with rain. Show him this card and he will take you up there. Fare will be around NT$150 (US$4.70).

Remember that you will need 2xNT$10 coins for the locker and its key. You will also need to bring a smallish towel to dry yourself in the changing room before you leave. And a bottle of water is almost essential as you soon feel a bit dehydrated in the springs. Make sure that is outside your locker before you close it!!

Leaving the hot spring you will have to walk up a very steep hill to the main road. There is a phone at reception for patrons to call a taxi. But as the instructions are in Chinese and it's unlikely the person answering the call will speak English, I have always just walked. But it's a tough slog! Or waited and hoped to get a taxi which will have delivered someone to the hot springs area.

8 hours ago, vaughn said:

Thank you all for the info!

@PeterRS if you feel like it, I would love to see a trip report for your trip.

I fear it would now be very boring. I visit Taipei primarily to meet my friends, eat Taiwanese food which I love, go regularly to hot springs which I find a wonderful experience, and do a bit of sightseeing around Taipei. We often go to the Red House for drinks and to watch the eye candy before or after dinner. But I no longer visits gay bars. I was only once in Commander D when a friend took me. It was fun but pretty dark. 

That's not to say I don't enjoy hook ups. Here I find the apps the most productive. Over the years I have met many guys, some several times over several visits. I can think of only 2 times when a money boy has contacted me. All the others just want to meet a westerner for sex with no cash involved - even transport money. Having a hotel close to a subway station is useful. I am no spring chicken and hardly the best looker, but I once had 4 encounters in just one day. That was never my intention. I had set up two meetings - one in the early afternoon and one in the early evening. Then after breakfast one guy texted saying he really wanted to meet and would be passing by my hotel around 11:00 am as his office was nearby. He seemed desperate to meet up. So I said OK and he was great. After my afternoon tryst, I was relaxing - very necessary! - before the early eveing encounter. Browsing through the apps I saw a gorgeous art student. We chatted a little and I hoped to set up a meeting the next day. But he then asked, as I was near the University, could he come over around 9:00 pm? I slept well that night!

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Huang Ding was great for those seeking sex. It closed a few years ago having violated several laws over water quality. Most younger gays now go to a hot spring further down the hill named Huang Tzu. Entrance pre-covid was NT$250 (US7.80). If that has changed, I'll update on my return at the end of the month. My Taipei friends tell me it's almost the only one that attracts mostly gays. Bear in mind that it is  not gay as such and there are signs (only in Chinese) warning against any hanky panky in the steam room. Hot springs are often family affairs and I have seen fathers bring their young kids to Huang Tzu. The springs are fantastic for relaxing and seeing a host of totally naked young guys who have no hang ups about covering their dicks. I have found many are quite friendly and will happily chat with you if - as most seem to do - they speak some English. In all the times I have visited, I have seen at most 3 foreigners there whereas when it's busy at the weekends there can be 100 Taiwan guys.

1588004303_Screenshot2022-11-06at11_40_24.png.3687629e6742fdd002a47b63d9526b46.png

It's unlikely the taxi will take you all the way down. It will probably stop at a car park but it will only be about 80 meters down the hill on your left. 5 large pools, a small sauna, larger steam room. If you have been there before, you can take a bus up the hill for about 4 kms. If not, then don't even risk it as you will have no idea when to get off. It's quite dark up there. You then have to walk quite a way down the hill to the hot spring area. Best to take the subway Red Line to Shipai station, exit on the right in the direction the train is going and you will find a taxi rank just there. There are almost always taxis unless it is pissing with rain. Show him this card and he will take you up there. Fare will be around NT$150 (US$4.70).

Remember that you will need 2xNT$10 coins for the locker and its key. You will also need to bring a smallish towel to dry yourself in the changing room before you leave. And a bottle of water is almost essential as you soon feel a bit dehydrated in the springs. Make sure that is outside your locker before you close it!!

Leaving the hot spring you will have to walk up a very steep hill to the main road. There is a phone at reception for patrons to call a taxi. But as the instructions are in Chinese and it's unlikely the person answering the call will speak English, I have always just walked. But it's a tough slog! Or waited and hoped to get a taxi which will have delivered someone to the hot springs area.

Very many thanks. Most helpful.

• Members

@PeterRS thanks for all the great information!  What has your experience been (if any) with massage venues in Taipei?  My impression is that they are quite expensive (by BKK standards) & may or may not include extras.

Also, the Blowing Wind Forum has a Taiwan section that is worth a look (IMO).

4 hours ago, tm_nyc said:

@PeterRS thanks for all the great information!  What has your experience been (if any) with massage venues in Taipei?  My impression is that they are quite expensive (by BKK standards) & may or may not include extras.

I have occasionally looked at the Blowing Wind Travel forum. I have never had a massage in Taipei but it is from that site I see that afters are basically HJs only. I have not seen any report about full service following the massage. Also most of the masseurs will not speak more than a few words of English.

8 hours ago, tm_nyc said:

What has your experience been (if any) with massage venues in Taipei?  My impression is that they are quite expensive (by BKK standards) & may or may not include extras.

My massage spa experiences have almost always been positive. I think there was only one place where I didn't have the happy ending I wanted and that was the first one I visited. It was one of the big ones Royal something maybe... Very handsome hunky guys, but the one I chose would only go down to his underwear and didn't do any real hanky panky. Otherwise the others I have been to always had at least a handjob ending. Most would do a body to body type of thing at the end which I always enjoy. 

I mentioned Mudan spa above. It's a bit of an outlier in that you go to a fairly upscale condo building where your masseur meets you outside and takes you up to the condo where they have a massage table set up. It looked like some one actually lived there so I'm not certain about how many units they might have available. The masseur I had didn't speak much English but we used Google translate when necessary. He was quite interactive and very sweet. I really wanted to go back again before i left town but I got a cold in the meantime. Lots of hot guys listed in their staff who I would like to meet some time.

Other spas around town I have visited are more of what you expect from a spa as far as the set up and layout are concerned. Certainly a bit more expensive than Bangkok but I still thought it was reasonable.

So I posted this question in another post, but asking it again in here since this one is getting more visibility. Has any of you guys been back to Taiwan since it reopened on October 13? If so, how was that 7-days period of " self-initiated epidemic prevention"? Did you have to do and show the result of any COVID test?

I'm thinking of going to Taiwan in January. If I go I also plan to visit, beside Taipei, also Kaohsiung, as for one reason or another Tainan is the southernmost I have been to in Taiwan. I read good things about Hi-Man sauna in Kaohsiung. Seems like the crowd is mostly young twinks or muscular guys, though the crowd doesn't get as big as at Soi 13 in? Have you guys, @PeterRSor @fedssocrbeen to that one? Any other recommendation about Kaohsiung?

I've never been to any of the saunas so I'm afraid I can't help you there. And I haven't been back since the recent reopening so I can't add anything related to that. You might try something like Flyertalk.com to get the lowdown on current entry requirements.

I enjoyed Kaohsiung on my last trip. That was 3 years ago. There's not nearly as much to do as Taipei but it's a nice little city. I think Tainan is more interesting from a historical perspective. If you're asking about gay fun I can't help you there either as I was recovering from being sick pretty much the whole time I was there. I stayed at the Indigo hotel though which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great service, big room, gorgeous bathroom with a shower big enough for at least 3 or 4 people. Nice location across the street from central park and the subway.

47 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

I've never been to any of the saunas so I'm afraid I can't help you there. And I haven't been back since the recent reopening so I can't add anything related to that. You might try something like Flyertalk.com to get the lowdown on current entry requirements.

I enjoyed Kaohsiung on my last trip. That was 3 years ago. There's not nearly as much to do as Taipei but it's a nice little city. I think Tainan is more interesting from a historical perspective. If you're asking about gay fun I can't help you there either as I was recovering from being sick pretty much the whole time I was there. I stayed at the Indigo hotel though which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great service, big room, gorgeous bathroom with a shower big enough for at least 3 or 4 people. Nice location across the street from central park and the subway.

Thanks for your quick reply @fedssocr. It's funny that I have already Indigo as the hotel to stay in Kaohsiung. I did it mostly because it was one of the few hotels where guests said that the internet was working fine, as I need to do some Zoom calls while traveling. I've had a lot if issues with internet in many hotels and Airbnbs in Taiwan. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel.

The reason I'm still undecided about going to Taiwan in January, beside the uncertain entry requirements is also the weather. I was there at the end of January 2020 and some days were really cold and rainy. One of my Taiwanese friends even gave me a scarf cause he thought I was too cold. I think usually the best months to go to Taiwan are October and November. Also they still have a mask requirement and that takes a lot from the fun of exploring the gay saunas. I experienced it this year in Bangkok and in Europe and the States last year. So, I'm thinking I might go to Vietnam from BKK.

5 hours ago, hojacat said:

So I posted this question in another post, but asking it again in here since this one is getting more visibility. Has any of you guys been back to Taiwan since it reopened on October 13? If so, how was that 7-days period of " self-initiated epidemic prevention"? Did you have to do and show the result of any COVID test?

I am going on Friday for 17 days. There is no longer any quarantine and very few restrictions. The only covid related issue seems to be a need to self test for the first 7 days. I don't even think these need to be reported uness you test positive. Some mask wearing also seems necessary. But I'll give a longer reply once I return near the end of the month.

2 hours ago, hojacat said:

The reason I'm still undecided about going to Taiwan in January, beside the uncertain entry requirements is also the weather. I was there at the end of January 2020 and some days were really cold and rainy.

The weather is certainly colder. Not often rainy, but when the winter monsoon blows from the north you'll need sweaters and a jacket. On the other hand, there can also be very pleasant sunny days. Just be prepared for that cold, though. Great days for relaxing in a hot spring alongside so many cute Taiwanese guys! 

Best months are usually October and November, although October this year was particularly and unusually rainy. 

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I am going on Friday for 17 days. There is no longer any quarantine and very few restrictions. The only covid related issue seems to be a need to self test for the first 7 days. I don't even think these need to be reported uness you test positive. Some mask wearing also seems necessary. But I'll give a longer reply once I return near the end of the month.

Thanks for your reply @PeterRS. Yeah, I've heard you have to do a self-test on day 1 and 2 and at the end of 7 if I'm not mistaken but it wasn't clear who do you have to report it to. Also I wonder if the hotels allow guests to you room hotel room during that first week as in theory it should be only "one person/room". Please, let us know how it goes for you.

So have you been to the Hi-Man sauna and if so what's your opinion of it?

11 minutes ago, hojacat said:

Thanks for your reply @PeterRS. Yeah, I've heard you have to do a self-test on day 1 and 2 and at the end of 7 if I'm not mistaken but it wasn't clear who do you have to report it to. Also I wonder if the hotels allow guests to you room hotel room during that first week as in theory it should be only "one person/room". Please, let us know how it goes for you.

So have you been to the Hi-Man sauna and if so what's your opinion of it?

From what I read and what my friends tell me, there are now no restrictions in hotels. And I believe - and will confirm on my return - that your self tests are only to be reported if you test positive.

As for Hi-Man sauna, in all my many years of visiting Taipei and learning about Taipei gay saunas (about 28 years!) I have never heard of Hi-Man. Are you sure you are not referring to Hans Men Sauna? If you are, then avoid it. It's easy to get to as it is just 100 meters or so from The Red House. Travelgay informs us that it "has nice clean facilities". Nothing could be further from the truth! It's old and run down. If you go to the TV relaxing room (the TV only shows regular TV channels), I hate to think what bugs are lurking in the duvets! The clientele tends to be 40ish and above with only occasional younger guys and students from the relatively near university. Very hit and miss - and more usually miss!

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

As for Hi-Man sauna, in all my many years of visiting Taipei and learning about Taipei gay saunas (about 28 years!) I have never heard of Hi-Man. Are you sure you are not referring to Hans Men Sauna? If you are, then avoid it. It's easy to get to as it is just 100 meters or so from The Red House. Travelgay informs us that it "has nice clean facilities". Nothing could be further from the truth! It's old and run down. If you go to the TV relaxing room (the TV only shows regular TV channels), I hate to think what bugs are lurking in the duvets! The clientele tends to be 40ish and above with only occasional younger guys and students from the relatively near university. Very hit and miss - and more usually miss!

No, I have heard of Hans Men Sauna but never been to as I have read its crowd consists mostly of bears. The sauna in Kaohsiung is actually called Hi-Man. Here is its website: http://www.hi-man.tw/. It's right by the main station and as you can see from its FB page, it has lots of event night: https://www.facebook.com/himan4tastyboy/

I was told the crowd is mostly young twinks and muscular guys, but that it doesn't get larger than 50-60 guys on their busiest nights and nothing like at Soi 13 in which can get in the hundreds.

Well, you are going to be there 17 days. Maybe you just gave yourself a good reason for short get-out from Taipei😉

5 hours ago, hojacat said:

The sauna in Kaohsiung is actually called Hi-Man.

I asumed you were talking only about Taipei. I have been to Kaohsiung several times but it was always to spend time with a good friend. Never been to any of the gay places there. I am been twice on business to Taichung and hear it is pretty active but I just had no time to find out. Maybe this trip!!