vaughn

Taipei Info/Tips?

11 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I returned from my Taipei trip last night. Frankly, to anyone worried about covid testing and quarantine - forget it. The whole trip was a breeze.

I took China Airlines. We had to wear masks on the flight other than when eating the meal. No preflight checks at all. On arrival, every passenger was given a box of 4 self-test covid kits. You are supposed to test yourself in your hotel on arrival and then every two days. If your test is negative, you just throw the test kit away in the enclosed plastic bag. No need to report to anyone. You do get a note with your kit with the number fo call if you test positive. I never did and so just threw it away. Throughout the country, it is mandatory to wear masks other then when eating, drinking, attending a sauna or hot spring. I never saw anyone without a mask on public transport or in the malls or when walking on the streets. From the accents I heard, there were a lot of European tourists.

I went to two hot springs, the gay one and one more upmarket one in a top hotel. Only saw one guy wear a mask there - and he looked pretty stupid. For anyone wanting to get to the hot spring frequented mosrly by gay guys, the name card for the taxi is posted above. Since there are about 10 hot springs close together and the taxi will drop you about 100 meters away, you can spot Huang Tzu with this sign at the entrance. Price remains NT$250 and you need two NT$10 cooins for the locker.

168267710_image132.jpeg.8b7c3875ac43c1652162889655a7c72f.jpeg

The Red House was busy at the week-ends. One bar had a party with this enticing sign at the entrance -

1448434185_image02.thumb.jpeg.d7ac110e579df03287010f58982a6ce9.jpeg

For my last Saturday, there was heavy rain and with most of the bars being outdoors albeit with canvas roofs there were not many customers around. If the weather is fine, the eye candy can be spectacular!

Prices for the mid to lower end hotels seem to be slightly less than 3 years ago. I had no trouble bringing guests to the rooms I had in two different hotels, but then I did not have anyone stay overight. I cannot imagine it being a problem other than in the very top end establishments.

Thanks for this report @PeterRSSo how the hot spring?Is it exclusively gay or more a mixed one like the old that closed? Did you like the crowd?

You mention also one that was part of a upscale hotel. Is that also mostly geared towards a gay clientele?

3 hours ago, hojacat said:

Thanks for this report @PeterRSSo how the hot spring?Is it exclusively gay or more a mixed one like the old that closed? Did you like the crowd?

You mention also one that was part of a upscale hotel. Is that also mostly geared towards a gay clientele?

None is exclusively gay - and definitely not the one at the expensive hotel. Occasionally you will stil see a father with a couple of his kids at Huang Tzu. It's rare in my experience, but I have seen it. And let me stress again, these are not saunas, even though most have a small lit sauna and a steam room. If you stay after midnight, there may be a bit of action in the steam room. But your problem then is getting back to the city. The subway closes just before midnight and getting a taxi is far from easy. There is a telephone line to a taxi company at the front desk (where no one speaks English!) but good luck trying to find anyone on the line to speak English. You will then have a long trek up a steep hill to the main road and unless you are prepared to wait a very long time for a night bus, you'll have a walk downhill about 2kms before you come to built up areas which might have roaming taxis. Your best hope is to chat with a guy who got there by motorbike and who will give you a lift back down the hill. Alternatively, walk across the bridge to Chuang Tang, make them think you have been at their Spring and ask them to call a taxi. They do understand a little English and I used them to call cabs in the old days when I patronised that Spring.

That Spring across the llttle bridge used to be the one which gays patronised. When the ownership changed about 8 years ago, gays became much less welcome. Then there was one nearer the main road named Huang Ding (the one you refer to, I assume) which seemed totally gay oriented. There was always action in the steam room and in a darkish area in the level below. For about 3 years it would be packed. Then it was closed by the authorities because it had consistently taken no notice of warnings about the poor quality of the water. Much to the disappoitnment of the gay community, it never reopened. Gay guys then migrated to Huang Tzu nearer the bottom of the hill. Yes, I do like the crowd there.

I reckon about 90% of the clientele is gay - most in their 20s/30s and in good physical shape. Many will go in groups but there will still be lots of guys on their own. Unsually chatting is not difficult as most will speak at least some English. I have several times set up meets for another day. 

15 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

None is exclusively gay - and definitely not the one at the expensive hotel. Occasionally you will stil see a father with a couple of his kids at Huang Tzu. It's rare in my experience, but I have seen it.

I can't speak about Taipai ... but in Mexico City where I lived for 6 years, many people still don't have hot water or have limited hot water due to having to pay for gas tanks which for many can be expensive (to use for showers instead of cooking) ... if you run a lot of hot water.  In the city, there are many neighborhood saunas at which father's and sons visit on Saturday or Sunday afternoons during which they'll spend an hour or more under hot water showers scrubbing and enjoying.  The father oftentimes goes into the sauna, sometimes having sex with another man (usually somebody going down on him) ... but the child/young teen stays in the shower area.

What you describe was very common in Japan in the decades following WWII when communal bathing was virtually the norm. With its vast economic gains, most homes soon had private bathing facilities. There are still communal bathing facilities but they are relatively few nowadays. 

Hot springs in Japan, Korea and Taiwan are very different. You shower and thoroughly cleanse yourself before getting into one of the pools. These will have varying temperatures from extremely hot to freezing cold. Most guys seem to favour the moderately hot and cool pools. But once you have got used to the extremely hot pool, it's almost as though you fail to feel the heat and instead get a pleasant muscle massage.

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

What you describe was very common in Japan in the decades following WWII when communal bathing was virtually the norm. With its vast economic gains, most homes soon had private bathing facilities. There are still communal bathing facilities but they are relatively few nowadays. 

Hot springs in Japan, Korea and Taiwan are very different. You shower and thoroughly cleanse yourself before getting into one of the pools. These will have varying temperatures from extremely hot to freezing cold. Most guys seem to favour the moderately hot and cool pools. But once you have got used to the extremely hot pool, it's almost as though you fail to feel the heat and instead get a pleasant muscle massage.

My friends and I often went to a public bath, even though we all had baths and showers at home.

People go there to enjoy the social atmosphere. Many just go to look at naked guys, with the well-endowed ones walking around flaunting their wares.

A public bath near a university is always a good bet.

If you go to a public bath or a hot spring and want to go into the really hot pool, here's a little tip - slowly lower yourself into the water and then sit perfectly still. Don't move at all and very soon you will stop feeling the heat.

The hot pool is especially good in winter because you come out pink and your body is thoroughly heated through. It means you can walk home in the cold and not feel a thing.

I'm off to Japan next month with a friend and I can't wait to introduce him to the joys of the public bath.

In Japan, visiting the sento/onsen, often as a family or social group (sports team, bunch of friends etc etc) is still very much part of the culture even though everyone has baths at home. The big sento have all the other things you'd expect at a spa, restaurants and so on, so people often stay for many hours. At the other extreme, I've watched the sun set over the sea at a seaside onsen that was just a vouple of natural pools in a space between some big rocks. That was mixed bathing - the women wrapped themselves in towels, the men were naked.

A visit is definitely recommended if you like eye candy, but you need to know the etiquette.

7 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

In Japan, visiting the sento/onsen, often as a family or social group (sports team, bunch of friends etc etc) is still very much part of the culture even though everyone has baths at home. The big sento have all the other things you'd expect at a spa, restaurants and so on, so people often stay for many hours. At the other extreme, I've watched the sun set over the sea at a seaside onsen that was just a vouple of natural pools in a space between some big rocks. That was mixed bathing - the women wrapped themselves in towels, the men were naked.

A visit is definitely recommended if you like eye candy, but you need to know the etiquette.

Definitely agree. Visiting an onsen is very much part of Japanese culture - but as stated earlier it is not the same as a bathhouse. Many are located in extremely beautiful parts of the country and lazing in a pool just watching nature pass by can be exilarating. The etiquette is important and only takes a few moments to master.

Agree also with a-447, don't be scared of the really hot pools. As he suggests, gently and slowly ease yourself in until the body is fully immersed. It's well worth the experience.

Not sure I'd like a mixed hot spring, though. Too many older ladies, I expect, and they would certainly spoil the eye candy! 🤣

I forgot to add one point. I checked the apps in Taipei quite regularly. On previous visits I have found Blued very active. Sadly that site has changed its format and has many more ads than before. This may have something to do with the original owner of the site having stepped down as Chairman and CEO in August and the influence of Hornet which purchased a stake in Blued in 2016. I found Hornet the worst site for advertising.

I just came back from a trip to Japan on China Airlines.  On my way back, I had a nine hours layover in Taipei, so I left the airport and went into town. Border control was easy (US passport).  Just fill out your flight information (the one leaving Taiwan) as your Taipei address on the Declaration form and you are free to roam.  They still gave me the test kits but I never used them.  Just remember the train into Taipei Station (which is about 20 minutes walk to Ximending or one subway stop away) is slightly over 1 hour depending on whether it is commuter or express.

I ended up having a massage at the Royal spa in Ximending (all the eating and bathing in Japan worn me out 😁).  I had the regular 2 hours massage (NTD 3,000 no additional tips needed).  My favorite guy was not available so I picked one from the list on site.  As usual, the first hour was dry rub which included a lot of pressure point pressing (very much like a sport massage) and stretching.  He twisted me like a pretzel with his body ( like a Thai massage but with me naked).  Then he took a bathroom break and came back stripped down to a tight underwear and started the oil massage part, which ended up with him completely naked and finished me off with a hand job.  The Royal spa usually adds 10 minutes to the 2 hours for showering before and after the massage. 

The massage in Taiwan is usually very professional and strong like a sport massage even in the gay massage shops.  HE is usually included (I never had it not included at various shops) but no sucking or fucking (this might happen 'extremely' rarely).  I had one guy won't even let me touch him as he will do all the touching but he was naked and giving me HE (go figured).  Of course, I never went back to that guy again.  So you might need to ask first.

19 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I forgot to add one point. I checked the apps in Taipei quite regularly. On previous visits I have found Blued very active. Sadly that site has changed its format and has many more ads than before. This may have something to do with the original owner of the site having stepped down as Chairman and CEO in August and the influence of Hornet which purchased a stake in Blued in 2016. I found Hornet the worst site for advertising.

So which app did  give you the highest scoring rate @PeterRS? I usually get a Premium subscription of 1-3 months for Hornet when I travel to Asia. It's pretty cheap compared to the other apps. Haven't used Blued since before Covid. wonder how much their Premium tiers cost?

Btw, does anyone still use Jack'd. Used to be sort of popular in Asia, but I haven't used it since 2018. Grindr, Hornet and Blued had way more guys and I found a bit tedious juggling among 4 apps.

I don't pay for any subscription on any site which is no doubt why I get so many ads now. I actually found Jack'd as popular as Grindr, Hornet and Blued. I got rather pissed off that quite a few more guys than on previous visits were older than my preferred age. I'll have to get a Chinese profile, although I suspect many guys in Taiwan go only by the photos and don't bother to check much of a profile.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, PeterRS said:

I don't pay for any subscription on any site which is no doubt why I get so many ads now. I actually found Jack'd as popular as Grindr, Hornet and Blued. I got rather pissed off that quite a few more guys than on previous visits were older than my preferred age. I'll have to get a Chinese profile, although I suspect many guys in Taiwan go only by the photos and don't bother to check much of a profile.

Was that fact about Jack'd  just in Taiwan during this visit or just in Asia in genral?

6 hours ago, hojacat said:

Was that fact about Jack'd  just in Taiwan during this visit or just in Asia in genral?

Sorry I cannot help. I don't use the apps in most other countries. I have occasionally used them in Japan but it is 4 years since I was last there. All I can recall is that they were not very active.

One of my best massage with sex was at Royal Spa, 2 hrs.

I was going to be there only for less than a day on a cruise ship stopping in Keelung from LAX-OSAKA and prebooked by photo, something I've never done before and since.

He was better than expected and he initiated the sex after giving an amazing massage with nice conversation.

http://www.theroyalspa.com.tw/en/team

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

@floridarob I can't picture you on a cruise ship. Hopefully it was a gay cruise...

I've been on 102 cruises, not 1 gay cruise. Most of the world except for circumventing Africa......always strategically selected the state room location on board so I could have crew visitors without them being seen 😉

Hospitality employees are high in the gay ratio....lots of people working from Thailand (before Covid), Indonesia, Mexico, Philippines....being the easiest and most willing to hook up with, the Eastern Europeans were too straight to do such a thing, from my experience.

I'd cruised enough that I was known and knew a lot of the crew members....most were for free,  a couple needed financial incentive to do something as a pretext that they weren't gay.

30 yrs ago it wasn't a huge deal if a crewmember was caught in the pax cabin, but as they merged and got bigger ships and a lot of females were raped or thought they were raped, it became prohibited. If caught , the crewmember would be sent home at the next port of call.

But with the right planning and raging hormones, some crew were easily convinced to come....they knew that I knew the routine and when they found out where my cabin was, out of sight....they would come.

I had a Thai guy that eventually "jumped ship" (an expression used when they don't go back to their country and stay in the US) and came to live with me in the US. But prior to that I had been on a 10 day and then later a 32 day cruise where he slept in my room every night..... His boss was sleeping with one of the female waitresses, which is not allowed either,  so we had an agreement....I don't bust your balls, you don't bust mine......worked out well.

Juts got back from an amazing 12 days trip to Taiwan. Spent majority of the time in the south between Tainan and Kaohsiung and then a few days in Taipei. Was lucky to have very good and pleasant for almost all the duration of my trip (it rained during the penultimate night in Taipei and then on the last day, it got pretty cold). Enjoyed the food, the cities, the scenery and of course ...the boys😉. Might have met around 17-20 of them, from simple hookups to just dates and to everything in between.

Went to both the Hi-Man sauna in Kaohsiung and Soi13 in Taipei. A few words regarding them:

Hi-Man (Kaohsiung). It's an OK size but a bit old and in some places a bit worn-out. Went there on a Friday and Saturday around 7pm. On Friday, there were never more than around 20-25 guys in there. Only around 3-4 twinks. Played with one. On Saturday, the crowd was bigger, probably around 50 and higher number of young guys. Got to mess around with three guys, including a very cute 22 yo twink, whom I met two more times on Kaohsiung and who he even came over to Taipei to be with me on my last day.

Soi13 (Taipei). The entry fee has increased to 800NTD, as Aniki has  closed, so pretty much it has no other sauna to compete with. This definitely has had an effect on the number and age of people that go there. I was lucky to get two entry coupons from one of my Taiwanese friends for just 400NTD each (you can buy 20 coupons for 7000NTD).However, they offer a 300NTD entrance between 6:30PM-7:30PM every day, only though for people holding a valid Taiwanese ID card, so tourists are out of luck. This period  though is when it really gets crowded and busy.

I went there on Friday around 5:45PM. It was quite empty and most of the people that were there were not my type. Didn't mind though as I went for a first round with my friend. After we finished , we took a shower and then waited in the jacuzzi for people to come over during the discount hour. By around 7, there were probably around 80-100 people in there, with a good mix of ages and body types. Got some action with two other guys. By 9pm the crowd started to get thinner.

On Saturday went a bit later, around 6:15. There were more people than on Friday but still felt a bit empty and then between 6:45-7:15 people just kept coming and coming and I got a glimpse of the old Soi that I really used to enjoy: the walls were filled should-to-shoulder with naked hot bodies (there were probably 1700-200 guys in there). The number of young guys was also pretty high, definitely more than half. However this big inflow of guys all-at-once is not ideal. As it gets crowded, some guys go with the first guy they like, so if you see a guy and don't make contact right away, you might not see him again. Others like to go around  thinking they haven't seen all the guys yet, so they will refuse you even though in other circumstances they might want to go with you. It also gets a bit difficult finding an empty cabin once you have the guy. Same as on Friday, it starts emptying out after 9PM and the influx of new people geos down by a lot, maybe 1-2 new guys every 5-10 minutes. I left at around 9:45PM.

Overall though, I would rate it as an amazing experience. Can't wait to go back to Taiwan. Definitely for the Taipei pride at the end of October, but hopefully even sooner than that.

7 hours ago, hojacat said:

Can't wait to go back to Taiwan. Definitely for the Taipei pride at the end of October, but hopefully even sooner than that.

I am the same. Although I was there in November for 16 days I'll be back next month for 10 days. The Pride Parade is in my diary and I will do my damndest to get there again. The date is Saturday 28 October but the parties go on all weekend. The saunas and hot springs will be totally packed!

52 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I am the same. Although I was there in November for 16 days I'll be back next month for 10 days. The Pride Parade is in my diary and I will do my damndest to get there again. The date is Saturday 28 October but the parties go on all weekend. The saunas and hot springs will be totally packed!

Tourists start coming for the pride from Wednesday-Thursday, so I actually plan to spend the whole week before pride in Taipei. Looking at what happened in Bangkok for the white party and considering that mainland China is now opened for traveling, I predict a big rebounding for Taipei pride this year, probably might surpass the record of 2019. I remember that year, Soi13 got fully packed on Saturday and Sunday, probably 400 guys or more. It was incredible, even though it was difficult finding a free cabin.

Planning to spend also a week in HK during that trip as I haven't been there in a while. I remember really enjoying the numerous saunas in HK, especially the one called Hutong. @PeterRSIs Hong Kong where you live right now?

1 hour ago, hojacat said:

@PeterRSIs Hong Kong where you live right now?

I have lived in Bangkok for 20 years but spent the previous 22 years living mostly in Hong Kong and partly Tokyo. After moving here I continued running a small company in Hong Kong until 2017. That meant commuting virtually every month for the first decade and then at longer intervals when work started to tail off. I still return 2 or 3 times a year.

I have never been to Hutong but it has a very good reputation, although I have seen comments about a degree of racism. It seems to get very full at the weekends and the doormen then pick and choose who they will allow to enter. How true this is I have no idea. As you are still young and probably in decent - if not better - physical shape, I suspect you'd have zero problem. I have not been to an HKG sauna for about 5 years and it was usually the tiny CE which was quite close to my office. Generally it caters mostly to older westerners wanting to meet younger Chinese, although on my last visit I met a couple of extremely handsome, tall and slim Chinese from Shanghai who had come on long week-end shopping trips. A sauna and clubs were part of their schedule.

17 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I have lived in Bangkok for 20 years but spent the previous 22 years living mostly in Hong Kong and partly Tokyo. After moving here I continued running a small company in Hong Kong until 2017. That meant commuting virtually every month for the first decade and then at longer intervals when work started to tail off. I still return 2 or 3 times a year.

Thanks for your reply @PeterRSFor some reason, I was under the assumption that you live in Hong Kong.

18 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I have never been to Hutong but it has a very good reputation, although I have seen comments about a degree of racism. It seems to get very full at the weekends and the doormen then pick and choose who they will allow to enter. How true this is I have no idea. As you are still young and probably in decent - if not better - physical shape, I suspect you'd have zero problem. I have not been to an HKG sauna for about 5 years and it was usually the tiny CE which was quite close to my office. Generally it caters mostly to older westerners wanting to meet younger Chinese, although on my last visit I met a couple of extremely handsome, tall and slim Chinese from Shanghai who had come on long week-end shopping trips. A sauna and clubs were part of their schedule.

I went to a couple of saunas in Hong Kong but I think I know which one are you talking about. I head read lots of review about it, so was expecting it to be really good. I got pretty disappointed. It was pretty small and it mostly consisted of old guys. Remember leaving after only 15-20 minutes. Yes, Hutong is kinda infamous for discriminating based on body type. I've read it many times and on different sources so I definitely believes that it happens. I only went once and didn't have any problem getting in, though I remember the front desk guy not being very friendly ( who by the way looks like the guardian to the gate of wonderland, as the reception is pretty small and low-key, but then you open the door and go and the place inside is much bigger than you thought and your start seeing this stream of hot bodies).  Yes the crowd is really good, though in some dark corners of the cruising area gets a bit too 'aggressive". I think if it happens the same in another "higher-sensibility" Western country, people would complain about it.

I also really liked another sauna in Kowloon. Don't remember the name, but I do remember that it was in a high floor and that it had a nice view of the street from its lobby. It wasn't that big but the crowd was just incredible. Almost 90-95% of them were young slim and in-shape twinks. I was in complete awe. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip to Taiwan next moth. I guess you are going for the lantern festival I saw that this year is in Taipei.

Let us know if you go to any sauna or hot spring in there.