vaughn

Taipei Info/Tips?

9 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Guys, does all this fun action in various places happen only to relatively young tourists, or also to older not-neccesarily attractive ones?

Though there are guys that are only into younger or older, I think for most Taiwanese age is not the main factor. I would say that would be body shape. If you are tall, have muscles or a wide chest or are well-equipped down there in case you're a top, you will definitely get some attention.

From what I have seen at Soi13, tall and in shape foreign guys between 45-55 score really high with the young local twinks. It's also true though that every time I go to soi 13 I see at least 2-3 old white guys (70s and older) and not particularly in shape. Not sure if they are in there just to gaze their eyes in that hot sea of flesh or they actually get to have some action, but you can definitely find them there every weekend.

On 2/22/2023 at 4:12 PM, hojacat said:

I noticed a drop of users and engagement with Hornet. It used to be even busier than Grindr before Covid and not just in Taiwan, but also in Thailand and other Asian countries. I don't think it's even worth paying the premium version right now.

Didn't try Blued, as that app has so many ads you would need to pay for premium to make really use of it. Was planning to checkout Jack'd after a 5-years break, but with guys from Grindr, the sauna and people I already know in Taipei, I got pretty busy. Glad to see its active. Will give a try when I'm there in May. Wonder if it's the same situation in HK, though I suspect Blued would be #1 in there.

Blued was #1 in HK and Shanghai on my last trip 5 years ago, but it's been so long things could have changed by now. I'm considering a HK trip later this year after Taiwain, so i'll play app roulette to see.

I think Blued was one of the first to introduce in-app translation, i really liked it.

I used to think Blued was a great site. Founded by a former policeman in Beijing, I beieve it is now the world's largest gay dating app. But it went into partnership with Hornet in 2016 and its founder has now left. It also delisted from Nasdaq. I wonder if it is the Hornet influence that has resulted in its huge difference from a few years ago. Certainly on my recent visit to Taipei 10 days ago I found it a total waste of time.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, vaughn said:

I'm considering a HK trip later this year after Taiwain, so i'll play app roulette to see.

When are you planning to go? I think I'm going there around mid-May. if you go before then, please drop a report in here about the saunas and apps in there.

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I used to think Blued was a great site. Founded by a former policeman in Beijing, I beieve it is now the world's largest gay dating app. But it went into partnership with Hornet in 2016 and its founder has now left. It also delisted from Nasdaq. I wonder if it is the Hornet influence that has resulted in its huge difference from a few years ago. Certainly on my recent visit to Taipei 10 days ago I found it a total waste of time.

It definitely used to be. it had much more advanced functionalities when I first start using it around 2017, like you could video callings and live streaming, something Grindr is still missing. Didn't know about their partnership with Hornet. I know hornet was founded in HK, though I think now is based in the USA, if I'm not mistaken. anyway, the amounts of ads on a free account in Blued is too much to make it useful

16 hours ago, hojacat said:

When are you planning to go? I think I'm going there around mid-May. if you go before then, please drop a report in here about the saunas and apps in there.

Taiwain in April then HK I'm considering early August, but HK will depend on work and if my friend in HK is at home or away.

Sure, I'll post some notes when I get back from Taiwan and if i get to HK I'll report on there as well.

2 hours ago, vaughn said:

Taiwain in April then HK I'm considering early August, but HK will depend on work and if my friend in HK is at home or away.

Just for info, the weather in Hong Kong in August is foul - excessively hot and as humid as it can get. It's also bang in the middle of typhoon season. Mind you, Taipei in that month is virtually the same.

Taiwan in April should be lovely!

10 hours ago, jjhjjp said:

Is language usually a barrier at the saunas or is there..uh...not too much talking haha

Not really, though it's true that knowing Mandarin might lead sometimes to a higher success rate cause if you start a conversation in local language the guy might be less shy.

Overall, It's mostly a game of glances and touches. If there is a match most guys know top or bottom, or you can just use hands to mimic 1(top) or 0(bottom) as these are the terms used in some Asian countries to refer to the sexual position.

Sometimes guys starts speaking and explaining themselves in Mandarin when they don't want to go with you, so I guess knowing the language  helps learning why you are getting refused 😄

5 hours ago, vaughn said:

I have just come back from my Taiwan trip, it was amazing. I don't really have the time to write a big trip report but here's some info for newbies (like myself).

Grindr was quite easy to find guys on, but I didn't see any profiles offering massage or MB. I had the most luck picking up guys on the same night rather than trying to schedule ahead, 6-9pm there's lots of guys active every night.
I didn't end up needing to try Blued or any other apps.

Taipei Ximending area was full of attractive guys, it's a good area to stay.

Soi13 sauna was very busy and worth going to on a Saturday night, easily 100 guys most aged 20-35, a lot are fairly shy but the dark rooms can be very intense. It was busy 6:30 until about 9:30 then it started to get quieter, i left so i'm not sure if it picks up again after guys have been out clubbing. Foreigners pay NTD800 entry.

https://goo.gl/maps/pVhZfGqMkhNM11cz9

The day I planned to go to Emporor hotspring the plans didn't work out, so I still need to go back to experience that. http://www.emperorspa.com.tw/about.html
https://goo.gl/maps/VYM47sdBspm1e6xXA

I went to Mars sauna in Taichung, Mars was harder to find, mostly because i went in the wrong entrance and tried to use the service elevator instead of the staircase entrance in the next door building. there are stickers on both doors saying mars, but if you find yourself looking at elevators with no staircase to the right, go next door. NTD350 entry, the front desk will need to help you with the ticket machine if you don't read mandarin.

https://goo.gl/maps/sYVDEcouGoGBHF5Q6
Mars had good facilities, hot and cold plunge pools, steam room (wasn't working when i was there), cabins, a dark room, cinema playing chinese movies, chill out area.
I didn't pick the best nights to go Friday (before an event on Saturday) and on the Sunday. On Friday there were 35-40 guys, most in mid20s-30s. The guys at mars were less shy than the guys at Soi13 for me, I met a great guy and ended up going for drinks and back to my hotel with him.
Sunday was rough, maybe 10 guys most >35.

I was in Kaohsiung as well, but i didn't try the sauna there. I found Kaohsiung the most difficult to find guys, I had one catfish dud from Grindr and met one cute guy that said he works at a KTV in Taipei but translate wasn't doing the best with my questions so we didn't communicate much and just had fun. Kaohsiung is worth visiting but I didn't stay long.

Overall the language barrier is manageable, in Taipei it's easier than Taichung and Kaohsiung but that's to be expected.
The saunas don't need any language because people don't really talk except in the cabins or chill out areas, glances and hand touches were the signs of interest. Mars sell colored wrist bands to show your position which i liked, in Soi13 i just put keys on left wrist to show i'm top (idk if that's universal everywhere).

Next time I plan to try the hotsprings and I want to figure out the KTVs because it seems like there are gay KTVs around but it might need more than google translate to find what i'm looking for there.

People are friendly, food is great, the country is beautiful. I'll be back for sure. My next trip will be Bangkok or HK, so i doubt i'll be back for Taipei Pride but maybe next year.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Taiwan @vaughnAs most of the people in these post said, it's truly an amazing place to visit.

Most of the local people go to Soi13 between 6:30-7:30PM as that can get it for only 300NTD and yes Saturday is the busiest night. They apply the same discount from 12:00-1:00 AM, so probably the crowd might bet bigger late at night.

Not sure if you have to pay again if you want to enter again later, my local friend said you can go out and get in.I never made it past 11:00PM in there. I get completely drained.

I didn't go to the sauna in Taichung but kinda had the same experience as you in the Kaohsiung one. Went on Friday and there were only 15-20 people, mostly old but then on Saturday there were around 40-50 people with many young twinks. ended up messing with three different guys. 

I'll be in HK in two weeks so will create a post in the coming days about the different saunas in there that I know from my previous visit in there and from doing research online. HK has one of the highest numbers of gay saunas for a city not just in Asia, but probably in the whole word so picking which one to go to can be tricky.

I would still encourage you to consider visiting Taipei again during pride. If you thought Soi13 was busy on a normal weekend you would be in awe during that period. There are at least #X more people. It's really incredible. Plus you can treat yourself to so much eye candy just by strolling the streets of Ximen and other areas of Taipei.

TAIWAN FAST TRACK IMMIGRATION

For those who have visited Taiwan no less than 3 times during the last 12 months, there is a special one-year fast track certificate you can apply for from the Taiwan government. As with all fast track procedures, it makes Immigration a breeze.

The certificate is available when clicking at the bottom of this link. It does not matter how many days you have stayed on each trip as it only asks for the dates on your arrival stamps. Nor does it matter if you used more than one passport. My passport changed in March. I had two visits in November and February and another in May. There is space on the form for both sets of information. When getting my new form this morning, I forgot about it being essentially for business purposes and just clicked sightseeing as the reason for visits. But it was still approved! 

The certificate is primarily for countries with visa-waivers for Taiwan. So there are special conditions for those from China, Hong Kong and Macao, as well as a few other countries.

https://oa1.immigration.gov.tw/nia_freq 

After competion just click Apply. On the next page click Print which will send the completed certificate to your downloads box. It took less than 30 seconds to process sending it to my computer!

14 hours ago, PeterRS said:

TAIWAN FAST TRACK IMMIGRATION

For those who have visited Taiwan no less than 3 times during the last 12 months, there is a special one-year fast track certificate you can apply for from the Taiwan government. As with all fast track procedures, it makes Immigration a breeze.

The certificate is available when clicking at the bottom of this link. It does not matter how many days you have stayed on each trip as it only asks for the dates on your arrival stamps. Nor does it matter if you used more than one passport. My passport changed in March. I had two visits in November and February and another in May. There is space on the form for both sets of information. When getting my new form this morning, I forgot about it being essentially for business purposes and just clicked sightseeing as the reason for visits. But it was still approved! 

The certificate is primarily for countries with visa-waivers for Taiwan. So there are special conditions for those from China, Hong Kong and Macao, as well as a few other countries.

https://oa1.immigration.gov.tw/nia_freq 

After competion just click Apply. On the next page click Print which will send the completed certificate to your downloads box. It took less than 30 seconds to process sending it to my computer!

Great info @PeterRS. the immigration line at TPE tend to be pretty slow (sometimes even more than at BKK) so this is definitely good news. Planning any trip soon?

1 hour ago, hojacat said:

Planning any trip soon?

Yes, just 5 days at the end of the month. As it is the rainy/typhoon season, there are some insane deals at some of the top hotels. And the China Airlines return ticket is still under 10,000 baht.

I generally stay at 3-star hotels like the Dandy Da'An which looks on to a large park and is just 30 meters from a subway station. Note, though, that like some hotels it has a few rooms with no windows! Pay more for a view of the park. Or The Ambience, although it requires a longish walk to the two nearest subway stations. There I like their Elite rooms which are at the back. Don't expect much from their breakfasts, though - certainly they are very basic compared to Le Meridien in Bangkok! On my visit at the end of this week, I got a great low rate at the Landis Hotel which is 5 star. It started life as The Ritz and was the only 5 star hotel until around 1990. I like it as it has an art deco theme. Great breakfast, but pricey! Normally I would not be able to stay there due to room prices.

As I am in the Marriott Bonvoy points scheme, I have stayed at the mid-price Courtyard Downtown hotel which I much enjoyed. Excellent rooms and a fantastic buffet breakfast. It also requires a bit of a walk to the subway.

Not far away is the large 5-star Grand Formosa Regent. Big rooms and excellent service. 

I don't think you have to stay in the Ximending area. Although the subway stops before midnight taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap. Only if it is raining hard or during a typhoon will they be difficult to get. On the other hand I am told Uber has a good service in the city. Besides, i can't recall any 5-star hotels in that area. One subway stop away is the main rail station. Here there is the Caesar Park hotel which used to be the Hilton. It's an older 4-star hotel which personally I do not like. Not far away is another older hotel, the Sheraton Grande. Never stayed there and I believe it is quite a walk to a subway station.

Thanks Peter, all very helpful, appreciated.

I just enjoy being either in or a short walk from gay areas when I go to an infrequently visited city. It's 30 years ago that I was last in Taipei, so I think that counts as infrequent. So when in Paris stay in Marais etc

So I guess based on your shared experience and my research I'm looking at something like a three star in Ximending

2 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Thanks Peter, all very helpful, appreciated.

I just enjoy being either in or a short walk from gay areas when I go to an infrequently visited city. It's 30 years ago that I was last in Taipei, so I think that counts as infrequent. So when in Paris stay in Marais etc

So I guess based on your shared experience and my research I'm looking at something like a three star in Ximending

You don't have to stay in Ximending but doing so gives you the same advantages as when staying in Silom in BKK.

First, it's the best place to do some "twink watching" as it's not only a gay area but truly the center of the youth culture in Taipei. Second, as you said, gives you the possibility to be able to simply walk in most of the gay venues and third, as a consequence of the second, you make it very convenient for the guys you meet in bars and more importantly on apps to come to your place. In Ximending, I would recommend the WestGate hotel, which is right at the MRT exit. CitizenM is also pretty good and quite new. Popular with young crowd. It's about 10 minutes walk from the RedTheater. I have also stayed at a hotel inHouse Heritage. it has good reviews on Agoda and the rooms are pretty decent but they don't offer much view. Plus, didn't really like the breakfast in there. I was surprised to hear it was one of the hotels recommended by the Taipei pride organizers. Don't recommend Airbnb in Ximending as buildings tend to be quite old.

If you end up not staying in Ximending, the area around Taipei Main Station has a few hotels. Probably the most famous is Palais de Chine, which also hosts the only 3-star Michelin restaurant in Taiwan. Never stayed in their rooms though, so can't really tell you. I have stayed a few times in Zhongshan., a relatively big neighborhood north of the main station with a mix of residential and commercial parts. It's pretty enjoyable walking at night over there. Especially the area close to the Soi13 gay sauna.

If you really want something modern, then definitely stay in Xinyi, which contains also Taipei 101. The area attracts big crowds of all ages during the day. Most of the big 5-star chains are located in there though I would recommend the     W Hotel. Super popular both with the local and the visiting Asian gay crowd.

The good thing is that hotels in Taipei, no matter the number of stars, never have a problem with you bringing over any number of guests😉. Plus most of the staff I've encountered has always been very polite and friendly.

The city is quite easy to get around. I stayed at an Airbnb atop the main railway station last time I was there which was quite nice. I also stayed a couple of nights at the (allegedly) haunted Grand Hyatt next to Taipei 101. I've stayed there a couple of times. 

2 hours ago, ichigo said:

I stayed here on my most recent trip - such a classy hotel and very near to Taipei Main Station. Would stay again, but is a bit on the pricier side.

The restaurant in there is also very experience, much more than other 3-stars restaurants in cities like Hong Kong and Singapore. I guess being the only one in Taiwan with that recognition lets them go away with it.

8 hours ago, hojacat said:

If you end up not staying in Ximending, the area around Taipei Main Station has a few hotels. Probably the most famous is Palais de Chine, which also hosts the only 3-star Michelin restaurant in Taiwan. Never stayed in their rooms though, so can't really tell you.

Also never stayed there, but if @khaolakguy wants to be within walking distance, it will be a good 20 minutes walk to Ximending.