Londoner

Suvarnabhumi; the latest

• Members

About Taxi in Bangkok, I almost got killed a few years ago, in a Taxi speeding in a heavy rain and slippery highway, on my way to BKK airport.

Since that incident, I have been always hiring hotel limos, these limo drivers get paid by salary and are never in a hurry to get the next customers.

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

However, a SIM station is  newly open directly next to the luggage  belt and so I was able to buy one as I waited for perhaps thirty minutes.

That's a smart move by them, now if only the basement currency exchange could do the same thing it would probably cut the landing to in a taxi time a lot.

Myself arrived MON-2 days ago by now, and as a tiger-senior was now able to use the priority lane anyway-with an utmost polite and efficient immi-veteran. I did see a fair Q at the normal gates and loads of signs for this APAC meeting to come up. And yes-then the wait for the luggage also took some 20 mins-it was an AB380 from EK-so the biggest plane there is.

All over the airport and also in the luggage hall are dozens of stalls offering various SIMs.

Took RailLInk into town and was in it just <60 mins after deplaning.

2 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

Nice report. Very happy to hear of the taxi solution. Do you know if Tarntawan still gives its guests vouchers to use the Clark Hatch Fitness Center and Pool in Soi Thaniya? If it does, I might have to make a reservation.

Clark Hatch fitness which then became Thaniya fitnees closed down, a victim of the corona plague. I doubt anyone took it over 

5 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

Nice report. Very happy to hear of the taxi solution. Do you know if Tarntawan still gives its guests vouchers to use the Clark Hatch Fitness Center and Pool in Soi Thaniya? If it does, I might have to make a reservation.

Does Urban Fit in  a new hotel,The Quarter, in the soi next to Tarntawan, meet your requirements?

12 hours ago, Londoner said:

Just arrived! I thought that travellers may welcome the latest news on what's happening at Suvarnabhumi, particularly in the light of the taxi situation and the impact of the conference taking place.

My EVA flight was on time and,walking towards immigration, I was surprised how quiet the airport was. As for Immigration itself, my intention had been to head for the Fast Track but no need; there were no queues and I waltzed through. A charming young woman welcomed me warmly. It made a change from  the usual Officer Grumpy I encounter!

A good start but the luggage was very slow. As slow as it was when the airport was brand new and suffering teething problems. However, a SIM station is  newly open directly next to the luggage  belt and so I was able to buy one as I waited for perhaps thirty minutes.

Now the taxis. As forecast , a huge queue.  i walked further along- that's left from the exit- and to my surprise there was another taxi station I've never noticed before. And with no queue. So future travellers should ignore the queue directly in front of the exit. It's only fifty metres or so extra to walk.

Feeling smug about this, i enjoyed thirty minutes of the journey ....until we arrived at Rama 4, Silom and Surawong. A frustrating crawl. The driver pointed out the Army on stand-by but I can't say that security was the issue. It was, of course, rush- hour.

Back in dear old Tarntawan eventually, after three years away. 

Sixty visits? not sure. i recognised not one of the staff. Pleased to see that those old carpets had gone, at last. The rooms are much the same but the beds and linen are first class, better than at more expensive hotels I've stayed in here.  And Tarntawan is certainly well-priced.

At what time did you arrive? I think that might be an important factor too.

23 hours ago, floridarob said:

Mac, works the front desk, he's been there for awhile....little chubby, good English, nice guy.

Yes....have just met him  this morning to say hallo. Also, another face from the past (in so far as it can be discerned under the mask!), a quite small guy who has worked the front desk for many a year. Good  to see.

44 minutes ago, ChristianPFC said:

After various negative experiences with taxis to/from airport, and with the benefit of arriving or departing at times the ARL is running, I have been using the ARL for many years. The reported queues are a sign of mismanagement, and the surcharge is an insult to me.

Yes it's a shame what is going on now. I remember my first visits at the early 2000's it was well organised almost no queues and the authorities inforce using a meter and if you ask for fix price they gave you  a note with rate on it for the driver .

11 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

What is the position with Grab or Uber from Suvarnabhumi? Does anyone use them? I use hotel limo, normally, but it is very expensive!

I used Grab to/from the airport. didn't have to wait long to get a taxi. You have to go to level 4 at BKK though to take them.

From Thai PBS World

Baggage service provider at Suvarnabhumi faces ultimatum

The company contracted to handle passenger baggage at Suvarnabhumi airport will be replaced if it does not improve the baggage reclaim service, which is currently causing delays for passengers.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said yesterday (Thursday) that he has instructed the transport permanent secretary to instruct the company to solve the problem, failing that the Transport Ministry may revoke its contract.

The company is reported to be blaming the problem on shortage of equipment and manpower.

Saksayam claimed that Suvarnabhumi airport has already solved the problem of the infamously long queues in front of immigration checkpoints and that arriving passengers now spend an average of 15 minutes queueing for their passports to be checked, including about a minute in front of the immigration counter.

After having improved the immigration service, he said that arriving passengers now take an average of 40 minutes from disembarkation to go through immigration, reclaim their baggage, pass customs and leave the airport.

I'd imagine there isn't really a surplus of baggage service providers waiting to step in and take over, so firing this company is likely to make things even worse. I guess maybe the minister has a brother waiting for a big government contract. This seems like it would be a good job unless of course the company isn't paying the workers a living wage in which case the shortage of workers would not be a surprise.

On our return from Chiang Mai a week ago, the wait for luggage was only five minutes....perhaps the domestic services are better? After all, most of the passengers on my flight had hand-luggage only.....a d**n nuisance, by the way, since  the overhead trays were clogged.

In fairness, however, there was one carousel in that area suffering problems, resulting in hordes of passengers- I believe from more than one flight- crowding around it anxiously.