TotallyOz

5 people are killed, at least 18 injured in a shooting at a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs

From the club's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ClubQOnline/

"Club Q is devastated by the senseless attack on our community.
Our prays and thoughts are with all the victims and their families and friends.
We thank the quick reactions of heroic customers that subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack."

I've long thought that the most virulent homophobia is internalized. It's so completely irrational otherwise.

The boycott issue has always been thorny. Much like the old Burma boycott I eventually came to believe that supporting the people on the ground was valuable and exposure to the outside world was a good idea.

• Members
On 11/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, Olddaddy said:

Is there any States in America that still ban homosexual acts?

14 hours ago, fedssocr said:

no. Laws against consensual sodomy were nullified by the Supreme Court (Lawrence v Texas). Of course they might end up re-instating those laws at some point.

In most of North and South America (I am unaware of the situation in Central America, and the Caribbean shows an uneven panorama) there are ample legal protections for gay rights (I cannot say the same of trans). Often the fight is not against legal discrimination but cultural conservatism, specially from religious people. 

In the US many gays speak against Muslim countries' homophobia, and they are right, but they forget that the major threat in our continent comes from the extreme branches of Christianity. Unfortunately these crazy churches are many and are gaining popularity everywhere. They supported Trump in the USA and Bolsonaro in Brazil. Beware of them.

2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

In the US many gays speak against Muslim countries' homophobia, and they are right, but they forget that the major threat in our continent comes from the extreme branches of Christianity. Unfortunately these crazy churches are many and are gaining popularity everywhere. They supported Trump in the USA and Bolsonaro in Brazil. Beware of them.

very good point