BiggusDikkus

My Swampy experience

32 minutes ago, gayinpattaya said:

Did you hear about BOLT? I'm told their rates are much better than GRAB in Bangkok. 
Here in Pattaya, BOLT has destroyed GRAB. Everyone uses BOLT. 

I would be interested to know the BOLT situation in Bangkok now. I will be heading up there next week myself. 

I used Bolt the whole time, I liked it more.

4 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

Did you hear about BOLT? I'm told their rates are much better than GRAB in Bangkok. 
Here in Pattaya, BOLT has destroyed GRAB. Everyone uses BOLT. 

I would be interested to know the BOLT situation in Bangkok now. I will be heading up there next week myself. 

In BKK Grab has very good service and competitive prices but in Pattaya the service was extremely expensive as far as I remember 3 years ago.

17 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm back for work. Am currently in neither Bangkok or Pattaya but in the boondocks for a project inspection. I may get a few days R&R in Bangkok at the end of the trip if inspection goes well and it frees up some time. Keeping fingers and penis crossed.

I love you Mack 💜

Looking forward to more reports.

I arrived back at BKK around 4:30 pm on Sunday. Despite there being many empty bays, my China Airlines flight had to circle around part of the airport because, we were informed our bay was waiting for a jet to vacate it. 20 minutes later we reached a bay which had just had a Turkish Airlines plane pushed away to be stored at another part of the airport until it departed for Istanbul close to midnight. This struck me as virtual incompetence on the part of the airport authoriites. If a plane is arriving only to deliver passengers but not to pick up any, why can it not be parked on arrival at an ajacent bay - or any bay for that matter. This would leave the China Airlines bay - with a near full plane by the look of the lounge area - free to accept the incoming aircraft without any delay. 

I was really surprised that fast-track Immigration was more full than I have ever seen it. Immigration did quite quickly open more desks but it still took longer than ever. No idea why!

1 hour ago, 10tazione said:

Suvarnabhumi immigration queue:

saturday noon: 50 mins

thursday noon: 55 mins

What time of day was that? I must have been very, very lucky.

On 11/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, billyhouston said:

This morning flew down to Suvarnabhumi from Chiang Mai, on Thai. Baggage claim was a shambles and it was 45 minutes before the 'first bag'appeared. The airport wasn't even busy. I can see why they are considering awarding the contract to someone else. The sooner the better.

I think someone else mentioned it before but this may not be the best course of action. The newly appointed contractor will not be able to produce the hundreds or thousands of replacement workers at a snap of a finger. Furthermore they need time to train the workers. What might be better would be to reduce the area of responsibility of the existing operator to something appropriate to the number of staff he has (e.g. 50% of flights) and give the remaining flights to the new operator. If necessary, get soldiers to do the job during the bridging period.

8 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

we were informed our bay was waiting for a jet to vacate it.

Of course there are many reasons why a departure is delayed, thus depriving an incoming flight of its assigned bay. But one possibility is that with a shortage of baggage handlers, loading the departing aircraft's luggage was taking longer than planned.

The shortage/incompetence of a baggage operator can have numerous knock on effects.