BiggusDikkus

My Swampy experience

6 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Suvarnabhumi immigration queue:

saturday noon: 50 mins

thursday noon: 55 mins

is there a website with queue info?  I arrive sat 12/10 at 8 am after 30+ hours in travel.  too early to check into hotel.  wait at airport does not seem to be a terrible option but....  Im thinking I will stand there and wait...

13 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Of course there are many reasons why a departure is delayed, thus depriving an incoming flight of its assigned bay. But one possibility is that with a shortage of baggage handlers, loading the departing aircraft's luggage was taking longer than planned.

But as I thought I had clearly stated, the Turkish Airlines jet was not departing. It was merely being towed to some far off part of BKK as it would not be departing for Istanbul for at least 6 hours. It had picked up no passengers and no luggage. The plane was empty! The only passengers waiting at that bay were China Airlines passengers. So Turkish Airlines was obviously late in arriving and then had merely to offload pasengers and luggage. There were several vacant bays in that part of BKK. Clearly Turkish had been assigned the same bay as China Airlines. But given that Turkish had clearly arrived very late and this would have been known to the air traffic controllers and the ground coordinators many hours beforehand, I fail to understand why Turkish could not have been assigned a nearby empty bay to unload its passengers and cargo. I am sure all the passengers waiting to fly to Taipei on the incoming China Airlines plane wondered the same thing!

59 minutes ago, maump said:

I arrive sat 12/10 at 8 am after 30+ hours in travel.  too early to check into hotel.  wait at airport does not seem to be a terrible option but....  Im thinking I will stand there and wait...

for early arrivals or late departures I'm trying to find some cheap hotel and book the room there precisely in order  I don't need to wait for check in time  or being forced vacate room at prescribed time , I rather pay up for whole day and don't use it in full but at least have an access to shower e.t.c.

21 hours ago, vinapu said:

for early arrivals or late departures I'm trying to find some cheap hotel and book the room there precisely in order  I don't need to wait for check in time  or being forced vacate room at prescribed time , I rather pay up for whole day and don't use it in full but at least have an access to shower e.t.c.

I asked trinity silom about early checking , they said ok for 500b (now) or I could wait and see when I arrived and maybe for a slight fee.  I thought I would let them have my luggage and go to the health club they join you to when you stay there.   we will see.

3 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

seat.  Even better, to not have enough in your wallet but to have enough somewhere else in another pocket without them knowing it.

oh my god! You're a genius! I wish I had thought of that. But as soon as I'm finished typing this, I'm gonna rearrange the contents of my wallet. Thank you for the nifty trick!

And very kind of you to compliment my writing style. Thanks so much!

• Members
3 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

How did Transferwise steal 500 from you? I have been using them for many years, never a problem nor heard of problems from others.

Same here.
Been using Transferwise for at least 14 years, if not more (can’t remember when I started) and never had any issue. 

From National News Bureau of Thailand

Major Expansions Set for Bangkok’s International Airports

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport has confirmed the expansion of Bangkok’s international airports to handle the increasing number of passengers after the Covid-19 pandemic.

According to Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob, Airports of Thailand Plc is planning to solicit bids for the expansion of Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang International Airport early next year.

Saksayam stated AOT would hold a tender for constructing a new 10-billion-baht passenger terminal on the east side of Suvarnabhumi International Airport. A master plan is also being drafted for Suvarnabhumi’s future expansion, which includes the addition of two new passenger terminals: one to the west of the main terminal and one to the north.

Meanwhile, the AOT intends to hold a tender for the third phase of the Don Mueang airport expansion, which will have a budget of 36 billion baht.

The minister said the construction proposal will likely be presented to the AOT board of directors in March 2023. Once authorized, it will be forwarded to the National Economic and Social Development Council for review before being submitted to the Cabinet for approval.

The bidding is expected to be held in the middle of next year, and the project winner will be selected within 12 months, with construction starting in 2024.

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

Are there good and bad times to arrive? I always thought that late afternoon was a busy period.

To Thailand? any time is good to arrive I guess, even with longest airport lines. Swampy is always busy but long lines are building up when 3-4 big planes arrive one after another and all of the sudden 1000 people are marching form all angles toward gates of heaven i.e. immigration

The cost of the project was estimated to be over 200 billion baht, of which the Thai Government would fund 123 billion baht and the private sector estimated to contribute 90 billion baht. The project was approved in October 2019 as a public private partnership between the Thai government and Charoen Pokphand/China Railway Construction Corporation. The assets will revert to state ownership after 50 years

From Wikipedia

The Don Mueang–Suvarnabhumi–U-Tapao high-speed railway, officially known as the High-Speed Rail Linking Three Airports Project (Thai: โครงการรถไฟความเร็วสูงเชื่อม 3 สนามบิน) is the second high-speed rail line project in Thailand, being due to open in 2026 between Don Mueang International Airport, Suvarnabhumi Airport and U-Tapao International Airport. It will be operated by Asia Era One Company Limited, a special-purpose vehicles by the consortium of Charoen Pokphand Group Company, Limited (CP) and partners Ch. Karnchang PLC. (CK), Bangkok Expressway and Metro PLC. (BEM), Italian-Thai Development PLC. (ITD) and China Railway Construction Corporation Limited (CRCC).

===========================

Will it actually happen in four years? I'd like to think so but TIT.