mixer17

Airbnb's in Sao Paulo/ Rio

Sao Paulo, many have in their rules that only people registered on the reservation will be allowed to enter the bldg.

I used to stay in Setin across from Republica and a friend said they weren't allowing any guests in with him, he quickly moved to the Intercontinental Hotel, where there was no problems .... except the price, $355 usd a night 😱

I came to a new airbnb that has a virtual doorman, that only interacts if someone rings the bell. They use a biometric reader to get in/out and up the elevator....is now my favorite place, SUPER fast internet too.

• Members
7 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Sao Paulo, many have in their rules that only people registered on the reservation will be allowed to enter the bldg.

I cannot speak of SP. However, I have noticed that disclaimer in many airbnbs, not in all of them, in other cities. In my last trips to Buenos Aires and to Medellin, the airbus included the warning. Before confirming the booking, I contacted the host and asked something like Really? I cannot have a couple of friends to hang out and have diner?. In both cases, the hosts assured me I would never have any issues bringing friends to visit. As a matter of fact, I didn't. 

• Members
5 hours ago, floridarob said:

I used to stay in Setin across from Republica and a friend said they weren't allowing any guests in with him, he quickly moved to the Intercontinental Hotel, where there was no problems .... except the price, $355 usd a night 😱

I came to a new airbnb that has a virtual doorman, that only interacts if someone rings the bell. They use a biometric reader to get in/out and up the elevator....is now my favorite place, SUPER fast internet too.

I think I saw those! So no problems with guests for these kinds of places? 

https://www.airbnb.com/users/251331388/listings

5 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

What comes up is a page with 12 different listings....gotta look at the house rules, the 1st one clearly states no visitors and guests must be registered 24 hr before....one is the Setin bldg that's not allowing visitors anymore, I stopped looking after that.

4 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

It is all bullshit if SP is like any other city I have been to. You can have visitors and no one cares.

Ok.....just be aware you've been forewarned. A few of my regulars have said it's tougher to get into places and my friend from NY was the one who left Setin after staying there MANY times without issue....and he's no where as scandalous as I am.

Let us know how it works out.....

• Members
18 hours ago, floridarob said:

Ok.....just be aware you've been forewarned. A few of my regulars have said it's tougher to get into places and my friend from NY was the one who left Setin after staying there MANY times without issue....and he's no where as scandalous as I am.

Let us know how it works out.....

Deal. 

• Members

Resurrecting this thread.

I am thinking of trying Airbnb for my next trip. I found that most places that are managed by a company usually have strict rules regarding visitors. So I'll probably be looking at more private listings.

One of my worries is the host cancels my booking days before the arrival date and it'll be an expensive inconvenience to re-book another place. I'll probably have a backup refundable hotel booking just in case.

Any other gotchas or things to look for when renting an Airbnb?

• Members

The closest you can get to a forecast is by communicating with the host ahead of time.

But there are 2 levels of entertaining. One is an overnight guest; the other is a briefer visit by your guest. This difference calls for a different kind of inquiry on your part.

You can ask whether you are permitted to have an overnight guest that is not on your booking. That may trigger the more stringent requirement of a formal registration, depending on the house rules. I certainly would not expect that I could have a few different guys sleep over during a trip. It is unlikely that you would be able to produce evidence to a concierge/security that a host endorses a free-for-all type of entertaining. Your capacity to hold a host to their word would be reduced because the host may not fully grasp your ask, and is not in charge of a premise’s overall security. My experience is limited because I sleep alone. 

One may also have a favourite place to book repeatedly and not wish to jeopardize a host’s receptivity to subsequent bookings, in the event that your sex tourism agenda is surmised. 

If you only plan the prerogative of a short visit by a local “friend” from time to time I would frame the inquiry very differently. Simply state that you have no plans for a group party but that you may want to have a friend in for a drink. Most hosts would likely be reluctant to restrict such an option. Explicitly ask if this type of light entertaining requires any formal step. Most hosts support the idea that, in contrast to a hotel, your stay is your home away from home. Naturally, they would also have likely scanned reviews about you, as a basis for trusting the innocuous and respectful nature of your use of previous bookings, but you may not have any precedents as a novel platform user.

As one host put it to me regarding a visit of a few weeks, I am considered as a home renter and the conventional landlord-tenant terms of reference apply in spite of the platform intermediary role. This messaging was spontaneous, not at all connected to an inquiry on my part about 3rd party visitors I might invite.

However, make sure that you record the mutual understanding of what is acceptable, eg screenshot of the internal messaging component of the app, in case a concierge or guard challenges you. Of course once you have spirited your friend into the unit there is little to stop you from entertaining until the next day. Any reputation liability would depend on the lodgings infrastructure.

However, I would suggest seeing him off the premises the next day. It is unlikely the visit would have been tracked unless there had been a formal signing in. Many places are gated at the street entrance both entering and leaving anyway and you may need to use a key or fob to let him out, or cue a concierge/security to release the barrier, or you may decide to both go out for breakfast. 

Of course be aware of the optics in terms of what you look like (age, etc) in relation to the total unspecified quantity of nephews, grandsons, etc that enjoy a beer up in your unit when local drinking holes are typically an option. 

22 hours ago, buttercawan said:

One of my worries is the host cancels my booking days before the arrival date and it'll be an expensive inconvenience to re-book another place. I'll probably have a backup refundable hotel booking just in case.

I think the risk of the host cancelling on you is very small. Any Superhost cancelling will loose the Superhost status (for a while) and if a host has cancelled on other guest(s) before it will show in the reviews; i.e. hosts would be reluctant to cancel.

No need for a backup hotel plan only based on the risk of your host cancelling. That would be overthinking it IMO.

• Members
2 hours ago, speedoo1 said:

I think the risk of the host cancelling on you is very small. Any Superhost cancelling will loose the Superhost status (for a while) and if a host has cancelled on other guest(s) before it will show in the reviews; i.e. hosts would be reluctant to cancel.

No need for a backup hotel plan only based on the risk of your host cancelling. That would be overthinking it IMO.

I'll probably keep my backup hotel and decide which one to keep before the refundable date. 

• Members

I have arranged the safety net a few ways, until my repeat visits eventually resulted in establishing solid connections with hosts of a given destination. I occasionally double booked a second inexpensive Airbnb unit so as to avoid getting stranded, albeit unlikely, but that backup only 3 days to enable reorganizing. It happened once due to a host failing to show, as in to err is human, extremely embarrassed and apologetic. The charge was naturally reversed.

You need to pay attention to exorbitant cleaning fees for short stays, as some hosts wish to dissuade guests from making brief bookings that may block longer stays. At that juncture when you are actually there some prospective hosts hungry for business will even show you the place in person before commitment, in the event the backup place is merely a sheltered base that spared you homelessness on arrival.

In my case the mishap was serendipitous because the 3rd place, the one subsequent to the back-up, turned out to be a gem and I have lodged there for months at a time ever since.

I have found these infrequent hassles to be more inconvenient than costly but some people regard any unexpected expense as a stick-up at knifepoint. On balance, particularly for longer stays, Airbnb options have been both cost-saving and better fitting in terms of daily living. 

Alternatively, a hotel room prebooked for one night but retained, not cancelled, in the event that the Airbnb is not formally cancelled but check-in turns out to be a nonstarter. Again, this is more apt for first-timers content with trading off some cash for piece of mind related to a secure arrival. Hotels don’t fuss about single-night bookings and the wifi quality may facilitate the task of rebooking an Airbnb in the same city. If you have satisfactory host communication right before the threshold of hotel backup cancellation, the prospect of your Airbnb booking fruition is good. Crickets would be the red flag. 

I realize it may sound exhausting without even yet touching on sex tourism privileges where you shit shave shower. LOL

• Members

i was staying in Rio de Janeiro in many airbnb appartments over several years.

i never had problems with bringing guests in. if they were coming with me they were not checking their ID. if they came alone and i was waiting in the appartment the doorman checked their ID and called if it is ok to let them in.  never a problem.