reader

Protest-hit Iran abolishes morality police

This demonstrates that having the courage to protest against prejudice and injustice can succeed in making a difference even in countries with repressive regimes. I am in awe of the courage and sacrifice of those Iranians who made this happen.

From Chanel  News Asia

Protest-hit Iran abolishes morality police

protester holds a portrait of Mahsa Amini during a demonstration in support of Amini, a young Iranian woman who died after being arrested in Tehran by the Islamic Republic's morality police, on Istiklal avenue in Istanbul on Sep 20, 2022. (Photo: AFP/Ozan Kose)

TEHRAN: Iran has scrapped its morality police after more than two months of protests triggered by the arrest of Mahsa Amini for allegedly violating the country's strict female dress code, local media said Sunday (Dec 4).

Women-led protests, labelled "riots" by the authorities, have swept Iran since the 22-year-old Iranian of Kurdish origin died on September 16, three days after her arrest by the morality police in Tehran.

"Morality police have nothing to do with the judiciary" and have been abolished, Attorney General Mohammad Jafar Montazeri was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.

His comment came at a religious conference where he responded to a participant who asked "why the morality police were being shut down", the report said.

The morality police - known formally as the Gasht-e Ershad or "Guidance Patrol" - were established under hardline president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, to "spread the culture of modesty and hijab", the mandatory female head covering.

The units began patrols in 2006.

The announcement of their abolition came a day after Montazeri said that "both parliament and the judiciary are working (on the issue)" of whether the law requiring women to cover their heads needs to be changed.

President Ebrahim Raisi said in televised comments Saturday that Iran's republican and Islamic foundations were constitutionally entrenched "but there are methods of implementing the constitution that can be flexible".

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/protest-hit-iran-abolishes-morality-police-death-mahsa-amini-3121191

12 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Hmmm, believe it when they are actually disbanded rather than renamed. I hope it's correct.

I'll also believe it when the present demonstrations have subsided. Let's remember the Revolutionary Guard still exists. They are equally hated and basically do as they wish. My heart goes out to most Iranians who for the most part are a lovely, kind, cultured people with an extraordinary history. I can understand why they loathed the corrupt Shah and his murderous Savak Secret Police killing machine and thus welcomed Khomeini with open arms. But like all dictators, as my Iranian guides told me four years ago the present leader and his cronies pocket vast sums of money and have every incentive to do everything possible to stay in power.