reader

Treasure of Memories

1 hour ago, reader said:

A must-see for history-lovers and photographers alike, this exhibition is open now until 20 December 2022, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM at RCB Photographer’s Gallery 1 on the 2nd floor of River City Bangkok. (PRD)

too bad I'm not there

Awesome. Wish I was there. A few years ago I bought a couple of books that probably include most of these photos.

Unseen Siam: Early Photography 1860-1910 by Joachim Bautze published in 2016 by River Books and Siam Through the Lens of John Thomson 1865-66 by Paisarn Piemmettawat 2015 also by River Books. The history is quite interesting.

10 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Siam Through the Lens of John Thomson 1865-66 by Paisarn Piemmettawat 2015 also by River Books. The history is quite interesting.

I beieve this was the title for an Exhibition of some of Thomson's mid-1800s photos exhibited at the National Gallery in Bangkok for several months a few years ago. Thomson's photos are a true treasure. An adventurous photographer, he left Scotland to visit Singapore. Over something like a decade, his travels took him from India through much of South East Asia and an extensive trip around  late Q'ing Dynasty China.

It's a pity there cannot be a permanent exhibition in Bnagkok of some of his many Thailand photos.

I agree. It's interesting that these photos are in private collections. Aren't there two different history museums in Bangkok now? It seems like they would be good candidates for such a permanent exhibit.

The Bautze book is much bigger and more comprehensive of the the two as it covers several different photographers and their work.

John Thomson's collection of more than 650 negatives were purchased by the American Henry Solomon Wellcome shortly after Thomson's death in 1921. Wellcome had made his fortune in the pharmaceutical business. He had earlier moved to the UK and became a British citizen. Having sold Wellcome to the company now known as GlaxoSmithKline, on his death he left all his wealth to the Wellcome Trust, a charity which he had established. It seems there is no permanent Exhibition of Thomson's work at the Wellcome Trust's headquarters. What better than to make digital reproductions of his work for permanent exhibition in the countries he visited?