reader

Underground Pedestrian Tunnels to Open in Historic Bangkok District

From National News Bureau of Thailand

img-slide

BANGKOK (NNT) - Bangkok authorities have announced the opening of pedestrian walkways beneath Bangkok’s Na Phra Lan Road, following discussions with Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt, his deputy Sanon Wangsrangboon and city clerk Khachit Chattawanit.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Wisanu Subsompon said tunnel construction has been completed and all that remains is to test the electrical, drainage and ventilation systems, as well as the elevators and escalators. The first tunnel is 96 meters long and 6.6 meters underground at the intersection of the Na Phra Lan and Na Phra That roads, with entrances near the Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Sanam Luang.

According to Wisanu, the tunnels adjacent to Na Phra That are 37 meters in length and have been fitted with two elevators, a staircase and two escalators near three different entrances.

Wisanu said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) would engage in commercial development to generate additional funds in order to cover maintenance costs, specifically the 28 million baht monthly electricity bill. He added that the BMA’s panel has proposed soliciting bids from companies to assist with tunnel administration.

I think this is a geat idea - in principle. My concern is that the entrance in the photo has no cover. To incorporate one would require the sides to be more than a little higher. During heavy monsoon rains, a considerable amount of water is going to pour down directly on to those escalators. I have no idea where it will drain to, but I hope there is no chance some will find its way to the wiring or power sources. Or could it lead to a build-up of water on the walkways? Hopefully someone has considered that and incoorpated solutions.

It reminds me of the time when the first lines of Taipei's then relatively new subway system had recently opened. Its entrances were not high enough to stop flooding from very severe typhoons and the system had to be closed down for some time. Entrances were then all elevated allowing for several steps up from sidewalks. 

Peter RS raises a good question about how the uncovered entrances will compensate of accumulating rain water. I can appreciate the aesthetic desire to keep the entrances as low-profile and unobtrusive in this historical area so I have to assume they took that into consideration in the initial engineering designs. Nevertheless I'd be fascinated to learn what method they arrived upon as a solution.

Apparently the underpass had a soft opening some time back based on the YouTube video below. I've also found some photos that reflect just what an attractive architectural achievement the project turned out to be.

Maharaj Tunnel under Maharaj road in Bangkok

No photo description available.

Toilets at Maharaj underpass