gayinpattaya

Why can't Jomtien Complex become an International destination

I'm with gayinpattaya with that ( I run out of 'likes' for today).

Deafening noise if not an entertainment ,  is nuisance for all ( Ok , colmx and few others excepted ) and health hazard for those who must work close to source.

This brought memories of one night I had in The Venue. There was party in Qmark bar but noise was unbearable and I know thing or two about the noise as my windows are facing 16 lane highway , in summer I sleep with open windows. Around 2 am I resigned trying to sleep and went down to the source, honestly  it seemed volume was lower in bar than in the room. It was good decision because waiter  asked me if I sleep alone tonight and I answered  ' no, with you" so it ended well but to this day I take great care of not making bookings in that part of Complex (Zing is pretty quite, sheltered from that bullshit by row of buildings)

8 hours ago, colmx said:

On one side the tourists complain about how boring JC is as there is nothing to do but sit, drink and watch the boys play their mobiles

On the other side the expats complain when there is entertainment in a bar that it is impinging on their rights to sit, drink and watch the boys play play their mobiles.

Who would want to be a bar owner!

I'm not sure I explained it well enough. Whatever those terrible sounds were last night that forced most of us out of the street, it most certainly wasn't entertainment. People had headaches. My ears were hurting from the high pitch screeching. 

I don't think many people here would object to some quality, good, entertainment. Whatever that was last night could be used as a torture technique. 

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

BT was built fifty years ago by bar-owners working together and attracting punters to an area which had different bars, encouraging bar-hopping. That co-operation ended two decades ago and it became every bar for itself.  We all saw the inevitable consequences. I hope the JC doesn't follow suit.

last December , post-covid that spirit was revived when Castro and BBB co-operated to have one show in the soi , outside of bars. Actually it was fun, show ended well before midnight so no sleep disruption. 

44 minutes ago, vinapu said:

last December , post-covid that spirit was revived when Castro and BBB co-operated to have one show in the soi , outside of bars. Actually it was fun, show ended well before midnight so no sleep disruption. 

why did they stop?

Was it a temporary cooperation because of covid restrictions ?

they should reinstate this co-operated behavior - it would make BT a more happening and happier place.

Noise was what made me give up on staying in the Boyztown hotels many years ago. I have since always chosen Jomtien. In July, I noticed the same crazy noise from one or more Jomtien bars but fortunately I was staying in Zing Resort. I could still hear the noise in my room, but at that distance, it was muted enough to not be a problem. The following day, I met someone staying at the Venue, and he was livid.

9 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

Noise was what made me give up on staying in the Boyztown hotels many years ago. I have since always chosen Jomtien. In July, I noticed the same crazy noise from one or more Jomtien bars but fortunately I was staying in Zing Resort. I could still hear the noise in my room, but at that distance, it was muted enough to not be a problem. The following day, I met someone staying at the Venue, and he was livid.

It's a shame that a few idiots ruin the fun for everyone. The front rooms at The Venue would be impossible some nights. When I stayed there in the past I always asked for a back room. I always liked their rooms. 

I think I've said it before in some other thread. This tendency to reach for loud 'entertainment' (LE for short) is a sign of failing business. It's when sales turnover is poor that the managers resort to LE, not realizing that it will only accelerate the loss of customers.

WHy do managers resort to LE when sales are poor? Because in the villages where they come from, it works!

In rural places, quiet is the default. Boredom is another. When a fair comes to town, its bright lights and thumping music draw people in. The louder the better so that people far away can hear that a fair is in town, and to relieve boredom, they make their way over. A low-key fair playing lounge music or soft jazz would be commercial suicide.

These village boys now promoted to bar managers by absent owners don't know the first thing about business, marketing, branding, customer satisfaction, etc. Most of all, they don't know what they don't know: that customers from the rich urban world have different preferences and priorities from rural Thais.

The above having been said, there remains one thing I still cannot explain. Why two bars would try to out-scream each other.

Maybe they've already contracted the gatoeys in advance for the night and cannot cancel, even when they discover that another bar is also putting up LE at the same hour? Would cancelling be an intolerable loss of face?

Sometimes, we need to think like Thais to understand behaviour.

30 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

The above having been said, there remains one thing I still cannot explain. Why two bars would try to out-scream each other.

Maybe they've already contracted the gatoeys in advance for the night and cannot cancel, even when they discover that another bar is also putting up LE at the same hour? Would cancelling be an intolerable loss of face?

Sometimes, we need to think like Thais to understand behaviour.

Both bars in question (BC Bar / Palace have farang owners. Both present in the bars. They are fully aware of what is happening, and just let it carry on. 

I got there about 11ish and almost got run into by a ladyboy singer. So I went thru one of the alleys by Jewel bar and went to BnB bar, across from Sunee bar. Then played snooker at bar next to it. 

Still had fun but avoided the main soi as my hearing is very sensitive. I don’t like being a killjoy, so I’m used to obnoxious music and think that most of the boys there enjoy it, so let them have their fun. Most of them barely make a living wage anyways.

There’s always some more quiet nights that can be enjoyed sitting with boys. I get restless sitting for long so I play pool just to keep moving. And if I’m really in the mood for quit calm I’ll head over to Sunee plaza,lol.

4 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

why did they stop?

Was it a temporary cooperation because of covid restrictions ?

yes , they stopped it when allowed to have people inside

2 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

The front rooms at The Venue would be impossible some nights. When I stayed there in the past I always asked for a back room. I always liked their rooms. 

I agree , it's great place in great location but noise at times may be just too much.

2 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

WHy do managers resort to LE when sales are poor? Because in the villages where they come from, it works!

In rural places, quiet is the default. Boredom is another. When a fair comes to town, its bright lights and thumping music draw people in. The louder the better so that people far away can hear that a fair is in town, and to relieve boredom, they make their way over.

great analysis ! It must be true. As reported in other thread  at end of Oct I visited quite remote Banteai Chmmar temple near Sisophon in Cambodia. Unfortunately during some village fair and deafening music which was heard probably in half of province  ruined somewhat my visit as all I wanted was to either  get deaf or leave , whatever comes first.

somewhat off topic, went over to NANA plaza to explore and compare to 2016.  the area continues to get more indian and arab ethinic shops with people now rolling and selling joints on the street.  the plaza street seems to have lost some businesses.  BUT if you go into Nana plaza proper it is definitely a busy well designed punter paradise.   This even puts (my memory of) walking street to shame. (A true international draw and better than Silom) my interest in female private parts is somewhat limited, but you guys should check it out.  3 floors of go-go bars and massage shops with food and drink and pot.

I was there at 830pm for a 10 minute walk thru and it was doing pretty good (although I don't know how many men were in the go-go bars).

Still plenty of lady boys on the street selling.  got several offers for 10$ BJ (although the street logistics on that elude me)

So where were the Police on the night? Why weren’t they anywhere to be seen?

The cops have often been in evidence over the last week at closing time to ensure no after hours drinking….so where were they when these terrible disturbances were going on? Surely they are illegal at the volume heard from the two bars simultaneously the other night? 

We are frequently told that Jomtien is a RESIDENTIAL area and that is the reason Gogo bars are not allowed. If so, why is this awful racket permitted?

The regularity of it (especially at “The Palace”) surely does more harm to residents than a few Gogo bars ever would. 

22 minutes ago, vinapu said:

we can only vote with our feet. It up to owners and landlords to sort it out with police and local politicians. Surely there's no logic in denying go-go bars there

Great advice. It's exactly what I do. I haven't stepped foot in BC bar for years. Never been into Palace. Sun Bar I avoid like the plague. Bad actors should be treated as so. 

One of my best friends told me years ago when I was new to Thailand, "Reward good behaviour". I try to stick to that. It works very well. 
One boy in a bar takes his shirt off, we all tip him. The other boys see and some of them take their shirts off. We tip them too. 

It can go both ways! 

20 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'm with gayinpattaya with that ( I run out of 'likes' for today).

Deafening noise if not an entertainment ,  is nuisance for all ( Ok , colmx and few others excepted ) and health hazard for those who must work close to source.

This brought memories of one night I had in The Venue. There was party in Qmark bar but noise was unbearable and I know thing or two about the noise as my windows are facing 16 lane highway , in summer I sleep with open windows. Around 2 am I resigned trying to sleep and went down to the source, honestly  it seemed volume was lower in bar than in the room. It was good decision because waiter  asked me if I sleep alone tonight and I answered  ' no, with you" so it ended well but to this day I take great care of not making bookings in that part of Complex (Zing is pretty quite, sheltered from that bullshit by row of buildings)

You live near  a 16 lane freeway ?

Omg I thought I had it bad living in a city area