iendo

Dual pricing Mexico

dual  pricing may be more ubiquitous than we think.

In mid-nineties my Australian aunt was surprised to be denied senior discount on metro  in  Canadian Montreal. They asked for proof of age and upon seeing Australian passport she was informed that discount is applicable only to local residents.

Not sure it's still a case

• Members

Isn't this a regular practice? In Rio, AcuaRio has differential pricing depending on you being a local resident, a MERCOSUL citizen, or all other nationalities. In Medellín, several touristic destinations advertise different pricing for Colombians or others. In Argentina, non nationals get a differential currency exchange, etc, etc, etc. I have not been in Europe in 3 decades, I bet you they also differentiate favoring EU citizens. 

3 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

I bet you they also differentiate favoring EU citizens. 

at some time after re-unification in Berlin there was different price (lower)  for city public transport for former residents of Eastern Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie museum had free admission for citizens of former Eastern Bloc ( Poland , Hungary  Romania etc )

• Members

In many countries in Africa and in some in Europe, ‘locals’ pay one price to access Government-maintained facilities (National Parks, museums, theaters etc) while foreigners pay a higher price. 

Majority (if not all) of the States in the US have a similar practice, but instead of dual pricing, they call it a resident discount. While it’s usually practiced by governmental entities, I’ve seen private companies adopt it as well, especially in the areas that are getting larger incomes from tourism. Other discounts offered alongside the resident ones are those for seniors, veterans, military, student, children, etc.

In the EU, it's generally illegal to discriminate based on passport for prices of services and goods.There are some exceptions for government (subsidized) services and of course some businesses don't follow the rules, but then you can complain/sue...

I also have never seen it in the US, unless it's (subsidized) government services. Of course there are some tourist targeted fees, for example rental cars at airports, but those are charged to everybody...

• Members
48 minutes ago, EricV said:

I also have never seen it in the US

Thirty years ago, Key West introduced a “locals card“. I had a vacation home there so I obtained one.

The KW “locals card” was accepted in a large number of stores, cafes and restaurants. The discount varied from place to place, but was generally 15% or 20%. Servers might quietly ask “you’re a resident, right?” and I’d show the card and get the discount. 

The ‘unwritten rule’ was to be discreet when using the card. Discretion was to avoid antagonizing tourists who were paying the full price.