Riobard

Avianca meal service change

• Members

It appears that Avianca just discontinued automatic inclusive meal service within Latin America and now offers fee-for-service snacks & beverages. I don’t think these are ordered online ahead of time. It seems to be an onboard trolley system, or I would think the attendants walk back and forth because otherwise they would be blocking the aisles for unacceptably long periods.

The menu is online. As far as I know, there is no business class Bogotá-to-Brazil destinations, at least not when I purchased tickets. Though my receipt shows VIP lounge access in Bogotá but no such designation for my flight leaving Brazil. 

Anyhow, not a problem for me as the fares were reasonable. An L class fare; range XS-XXL which is coding for fare conditions/ options/ privileges.

The caveat is that cash is not accepted, only Visa or Mastercard. That is the main reason I posted.

https://help.avianca.com/hc/en-us/articles/10514456299419-Discover-our-new-onboard-menu

• Members

Now I’ve discovered I am in first row of 3 rows of 2:2 configuration that is technically business on Airbus A319 and A320, but is now named Premium in Avianca’s new tier system Premium / Plus / Economy. This Premium tier also charges for food; saw a recent review on YouTube. A new design for short-and mid-haul flights that has allowed more overall seating and reduces average carbon emissions per passenger.

The older traditional meal service will continue from Bogotá to LA or Europe ->/<-

The fare prices are very good for a more comfortable seat over 6-7 hours, a bit more recline but not lie-flat. I did pay the highest fare, but in absolute terms was not much greater; more so in percentage terms. My receipt indicates Plus but my assigned seat is Premium; likely a term error due to the ongoing system transition.

My flight from Brazil back to Colombia is early morning, so lounge access irrelevant anyway, but the YouTube reviewer in this new Premium class had lounge access leaving his CentralAmer nation. 

1 hour ago, Riobard said:

It appears that Avianca just discontinued automatic inclusive meal service within Latin America and now offers fee-for-service snacks & beverages. I don’t think these are ordered online ahead of time. It seems to be an onboard trolley system, or I would think the attendants walk back and forth because otherwise they would be blocking the aisles for unacceptably long periods.

Welcome to what has been going on in many countries for some years. British Airways stopped meal service in Europe years ago. Instead they introduced a sandwich service at a fee. Problem always seemed to be that they ran out of sandwiches before even half the passengers had been approached. That and payment problems with cards which were not accepted. In Europe I just take a gourmet sandwich on board.

• Members
33 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Welcome to what has been going on in many countries for some years. British Airways stopped meal service in Europe years ago. Instead they introduced a sandwich service at a fee. Problem always seemed to be that they ran out of sandwiches before even half the passengers had been approached. That and payment problems with cards which were not accepted. In Europe I just take a gourmet sandwich on board.

For sure. I always bring on some type of nourishment and water in case of emergency anyway.

To compensate and selfishly gift myself I just booked Qatar Business Class, Montreal to Southeast Asia via Doha, for late Fall. A bucket-list trip. I committed even prior to reading the reviews, ratings, QSuite details, etc. Looks like I’m in for a gourmet treat comparatively speaking and a restful lengthy trip each way.

On 12/28/2022 at 9:36 AM, Riobard said:

For sure. I always bring on some type of nourishment and water in case of emergency anyway.

To compensate and selfishly gift myself I just booked Qatar Business Class, Montreal to Southeast Asia via Doha, for late Fall. A bucket-list trip. I committed even prior to reading the reviews, ratings, QSuite details, etc. Looks like I’m in for a gourmet treat comparatively speaking and a restful lengthy trip each way.

You will certainly have a gourmet meal at the time you wish to eat with excellent wines compared to most other carriers. But your QSuite may not happen. I booked a return from Bangkok to the UK for March. Between the time of booking and a couple of weeks ago, the BKK/Doha sectors were in QSuites. Both have now been changed as the aircraft has been upgraded to an Airbus A380. This does not have the Q suites and, frankly, much as I like the A380, l do prefer the QSuites on the B777s and A350s. But a very minor point.

• Members
11 hours ago, PeterRS said:

You will certainly have a gourmet meal at the time you wish to eat with excellent wines compared to most other carriers. But your QSuite may not happen. I booked a return from Bangkok to the UK for March. Between the time of booking and a couple of weeks ago, the BKK/Doha sectors were in QSuites. Both have now been changed as the aircraft has been upgraded to an Airbus A380. This does not have the Q suites and, frankly, much as I like the A380, l do prefer the QSuites on the B777s and A350s. But a very minor point.

Yes, I had been already been aware at time of booking and seat selection. Thus far, though a long way off and craft changes could occur, it seems that at least one maybe both of the two shorter flights is not QSuite. In sum, YUL-DOH each way Boeing 777-300ER, DOH-BKK Airbus A330-300 (5 rows 2-2-2 configuration), BKK-DOH Airbus A380-800. I believe the latter is a double-decker fleet gradually being re-introduced. Interestingly, seat selection for the 4 flights came to an additional 25% above the base fare within the tier I selected, and was the same charge for each flight. 

• Members

Back to South America topic … The Avianca flights BOG-GRU (mid Jan) and GIG-BOG (mid Feb) were great, only $625 USD combined price, very roomy, the best seats (bulkhead in my case), again as business class for most of the western hemisphere has given way to the new 2-2 configuration with the middle table first few rows. At that price, bringing snacks or buying on board not an imposition. Lounge access El Dorado due to the highest flight fare class, but not at Galeão.

Air Canada business class to Bogotá return was merely $1150USD. Air Canada business fare to São Paulo was running $7000USD for similar dates, twice the distance for 6 times the fare price, no thanks. The itinerary ultimately worked out well, for both multiple destination goals and savings.