reader

Indian tourists cancel Thailand trips after govt impose Covid test

From The Thaiger

The Thai Hotels Association last night reported that tourists from India are cancelling trips to Thailand in their droves after their government insisted that returning travellers produce a negative Covid-19 test before reentering the country.

The new mandate has come as a shock to Indian holidaymakers as the rest of the world contemplates what to do with returning Chinese tourists. China announced last month it is reopening its borders to foreign travellers on Sunday, January 8 and scrapping quarantine rules.The Thai Hotels Association last night reported that tourists from India are cancelling trips to Thailand in their droves after their government insisted that returning travellers produce a negative Covid-19 test before reentering the country.

The new mandate has come as a shock to Indian holidaymakers as the rest of the world contemplates what to do with returning Chinese tourists. China announced last month it is reopening its borders to foreign travellers on Sunday, January 8 and scrapping quarantine rules.Thai Hotels Association Eastern Chapter President Sanphet Supbowornsathian revealed the Indian government’s decision to produce negative RT-PCR tests has left many travellers reconsidering holidays to Thailand.Sanphet reported that India imposed the rule on tourists coming back from Thailand, China (including Hong Kong), Japan, South Korea, and Singapore.

“The mandatory RT-PCR tests raise the costs of tourists and they are delaying their visits. Only small groups (of Indian tourists) remain.

“Major Indian tour firms as reporting that some of their customers had postponed their planned trips for a few months.“The situation was affecting hoteliers and restaurateurs in Pattaya, as Indian tourists were a major market for the resort city and for Thailand.”

24 minutes ago, Mavica said:

In comparison to total trip cost, the additional cost of the test is probably relatively minimal.  Does anyone know the cost and availability of the test in Thailand.

Between 2000 to 4500 bahts. Nothing for Indian tourists. The risk is to catch the virus and to be unable to get back home. Not about the price of the test.

10 hours ago, PeterRS said:

With the Thai government seeming ready to open its borders to waves of Chinese tourists, I am pretty certain many individuals from other countries will reconsider Thailand for a vacation because of the possibility of a new outbreak of covid here.

I, on another hand think that those who are afraid to travel fearing  new outbreaks still don't contemplate it anyways but  there will be people changing planes  because fear that    old restrictions (tests , mandatory insurance and , perish the thought , quarantines ) may return

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

there will be people changing planes  because fear that    old restrictions (tests , mandatory insurance and , perish the thought , quarantines ) may return

I wouldn't be too bothered with testing or insurance (I always travel with insurance anyway) but if they brought back quarantine or that stupid bloody Thai pass shit I for one will travel elswhere, Philippines or Vietnam would be the choices. 

18 hours ago, TMax said:

I wouldn't be too bothered with testing 

You will if required test would be PRC at 3000 baht a pop. I travleed a bit in covid time in 2021 and 2022 to various countries and my estimation is I spent about 800$ on tests , in human speak - equivalent of pre-covid airfare to Thailand 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:56 PM, vinapu said:

there will be people changing planes  because fear that    old restrictions (tests , mandatory insurance and , perish the thought , quarantines ) may return

I doubt if changing planes changes anything. Immigration authorities want information about yout primary departure city. If the authorities don't believe you, all they need do is put you to one side and then check your baggage tag. You can only fool them if you deplane at the intermediate stop, reclaim your baggage and then re check in.

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I doubt if changing planes changes anything. Immigration authorities want information about yout primary departure city. If the authorities don't believe you, all they need do is put you to one side and then check your baggage tag. You can only fool them if you deplane at the intermediate stop, reclaim your baggage and then re check in.

of course you are right, my intended phrase was " there will be people changing plans" , not planes