reader

Hunt for gunman who killed British ex-pat in Pattaya

From Pattaya News

Chonburi Police Region 2 is hunting down a mysterious murderer who shot and killed a retired British engineer yesterday, January 5th.

The gruesome shooting occurred while the victim, Mr. Neil Lewis Roger, was traveling home on his red Scoopy I motorbike in Soi Khao Makok 1 in the Huai Yai subdistrict of Banglamung district, Chonburi. The 70-year-old was shot four times and passed away instantly on the spot.

Pol. Lt. Col. Ittipon told The Pattaya News the motive behind the murder still cannot be disclosed, but he assured the media that the case is progressing well. He said authorities are gathering all types of evidence including three gun shells found at the scene and CCTV recordings around the area.

Police met the victim’s wife, Ms. Thitiphan Kamlas, at the incident scene. As she mourned her beloved’s death, the 38-year-old Thai said the victim was a British engineer who chose to retire in Pattaya. He just returned to Thailand from England on January 4th after visiting his ill older sister.

On the day of the shooting, the victim reportedly went to a party with friends in Pattaya and did not come back home. The wife said she grew worried and was heartbroken when the authorities called her about his loss. Ms. Thitiphan stated she did not know if the victim had any enemies.

From Pattaya Mail

Pro marksman surrenders for murder of Pattaya British expat

A competitive marksman surrendered to police and confessed that he shot a 70-year-old British man because the expat “insulted and angered” him. Apichart Boonsawat, 32, turned himself in at Huay Yai Police Station Jan. 7, handing over the handgun used to gun down Neil Lewis Roger, 70, as he drove a motorbike on Soi Khao Makok 1 Jan. 5.

An arrest warrant had been issued charging Apichart with murder and carrying a gun in public. In his statement released by police, Apichart, an acclaimed marksman who has won numerous competitions for precision shooting and legally owned the gun he used, said he had been waiting to turn on Soi Chaiyapreuk when Roger allegedly honked his motorbike horn and banged on Apichart’s car, yelling at him to turn.

The suspect said he stopped the vehicle to talk to Roger only to get into a fierce argument, with Roger taking off on his bike. Apichart pursued, cut off the Brit and shot him four times in the back “because he insulted and angered me, causing me to go into a state of rage.”

Apichart was scheduled to be taken for arraignment at the Pattaya Court Monday and was being held without bail. The 70-year-old Briton’s 38-year-old wife, Thitiphan Kummalard, said he had just returned from the United Kingdom Jan. 4 and had gone out drinking on Jan. 5. Authorities said he had been living in Thailand for about 20 years.

Traveling and living abroad ... I've learned not to engage in verbal or other avoidable altercations with others, particularly local residents.  I've seen expats suffer the adverse consequences trying to be right (sometimes wrong) when disagreements occur.

9 minutes ago, Mavica said:

Traveling and living abroad ... I've learned not to engage in verbal or other avoidable altercations with others, particularly local residents.  I've seen expats suffer the adverse consequences trying to be right (sometimes wrong) when disagreements occur.

that British regretfully did not even survive to tell the tale