reader

Tourists Allegedly Lose Thousands of Dollars Kept in Hotel’s Safe Boxes in Pattaya

From Pattaya News

Two Russian tourists filed police reports in separate cases yesterday, January 8th, claiming their money secured in safe boxes at the same Pattaya hotel had disappeared.

The first victim, Mr. Oleg Gipke, came to report the case at the Pattaya police station at 10 PM. He told the police that he was staying at a hotel in Pattaya and kept his 5,000 dollars in a safe box provided by the hotel.

Pattaya Police withheld the name of the hotel pending a further legal investigation.

Mr. Gipke said that on January 4th, he noticed an irregularity with the safe though he did not describe the nature of that irregularity. He then opened the safe, counted his money, and found that around 1,000 US dollars were missing from his stack of money. He then asked the hotel’s staff to check CCTV recordings but got refused because the staff said he must first file a police report. This led to Mr. Gipke reporting his grievance to the police last night.

It was unclear why there was a delay in the original incident and the police report.

Another case, which was almost exactly similar to Mr. Gipke’s incident, happened with Ms. Natalina Chernova, a Russian national.

She also came to report her missing cash yesterday at the Pattaya police station, saying her money worth 4,000 US dollars had vanished from her 16,000 US dollar stack. Ms. Chernova said she kept her money in a safe box, and she was staying in the same hotel as Mr. Gipke. The two victims did not know each other, The Pattaya News notes.

The incidents reportedly baffled the two victims as their money had disappeared without a trace, and only a portion of it vanished. Pattaya police are now examining CCTV footage of the hotel and inquiring with staff for more leads.

3 hours ago, reader said:

The incidents reportedly baffled the two victims as their money had disappeared without a trace, and only a portion of it vanished.

If true it means thieves were both not greedy and smart taking only 1/4 or 1/5 of total as such dent is harder to notice.

If true is  a key word. I already told that story here but repeat for newbies and forgetful.  Years ago while checking in or out of Raya I was witness of commotion on reception. Disgruntled Australian or New Zealander,  judging by the accent , was claiming that some money was missing from his safety  deposit box .

Few days later on one of our forums poster was confessing how big fool he made of himself and described story adding that when he was unpacking at his next destination he found 'missing ' roll of banknotes in his luggage. Even said that he was drunk night before and probably it's why he placed  money there  instead of safe. He did not say if he informed hotel though. Hope he did if he was decent enough to tell story  unprompted, it was probably in similar themed thread.

He mentioned hotel and  something like ' last Thursday" or 'on 15th"  so I was sure he talked about the same story I saw. 

I'm sure it happens in hotels pretty often because receptionist was very calm and composed even if he was screaming his lungs out.

On personal note when travelling everywhere I  have habit of counting money  at one point of the day and reconciling roughly where difference from yesterday's count was possibly spent. Works for me, specially on the last day when there's not much to count.

You can be robbed because of your own carelessness. A few years ago I was staying at the Ambience after a short trip to Vietnam from which I had returned with around $200 which I had placed in the room safe. I had returned to my room alone fairly late but then obtained a boy from Grindr to join me LT. During the night I remember him going to the bathroom twice. In the morning I paid him from money in my pants pocket before he left, after which I got back into bed for an hour. Getting up and dressed I was leaving the room to get some breakfast when I noticed the safe door ajar - I had not locked it the previous evening and the dollars were missing. The boy had seen the safe open, removed them and I guess placed them in a toilet bag he had come with. The guy on reception said he had never seen the boy before, who did not appear on Grindr the rest of my stay. 

7 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

A few years ago I was staying at the Ambience ....

I noticed the safe door ajar - I had not locked it the previous evening

it must be something in the water there as out of two times the same happened to me, one was at Ambiance (other at Raya)

My boys in either case were more honest or more inept because nothing was missing.

Double idiocy at Raya was that not only I left safe door opened but also closet door too ( in Raya, Furama Sathorn , Copa and Classroom to name a few,  safe is hidden in closet for double security)

In some rooms at Baan Silom safe along with hangers for clothes  is actually in the every spacious bathroom , double danger as it gives potential thief  more privacy so to speak. Fortunately if beeps when button is pressed.