reader

Taxi Fare Rise Takes Effect

From Thailand News Agency

BANGKOK, Jan 13 (TNA) – A taxi fare rise for the first time in eight years took effect for taxis in Bangkok on Friday as Prime Minister Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha ordered relevant agencies to assess its impact on people.

Effective today, the fare starts at 35 baht for small taxis and 40 baht for big ones and then climb up depending on traveled distances.

Then the fare will be 6.5 baht per kilometer from the 2nd to 10th kilometer, 7 baht per kilometer from the 11th to 20th kilometer, 8 baht per kilometer from the 21th to 40th kilometer, 8.5 baht per kilometer from the 41th to 60th kilometer, 9 baht per kilometer from the 61th to 80th kilometer and 10.5 baht per kilometer from the 81th kilometer onwards.

In traffic congestion, the fare will be 3 baht per minute for all cabs on the condition that taxi speeds are lower than 6 kilometers per hour. (TNA)

Annoyingly now that the tourists are back in numbers the taxi drivers are back to refusing to put on the meter and demanding 200 Baht for a 70 Baht trip, so annoying. It happened to me three times last week when I was in Bangkok. I simply get out and wait for the next one and try again. I always tip well so it is their loss. 

1 hour ago, Ruthrieston said:

Annoyingly now that the tourists are back in numbers the taxi drivers are back to refusing to put on the meter and demanding 200 Baht for a 70 Baht trip, so annoying. It happened to me three times last week when I was in Bangkok. I simply get out and wait for the next one and try again. I always tip well so it is their loss. 

and that's the best course of action, get out and try next one for which we rarely need to wait more than 113 seconds.

The same thing j happened to me at end of my Nov trip going to airport. Taxi called by hotel was refusing meter and demanding 500, I got out , next one showed up in 17 seconds and the rest is just described above ( about 300+ tolls)

About the only times I catch a taxi now is to and from the airport, over time I've had a few of those that quoted a fare rather than turn on the meter and I got out every time it happened. Majority of places I go to in Bangkok now there is either an MRT or BTS station nearby and that is my preferred transport, or was before covid times. 

even boys those days are more keen on walking, it seems gone are the days why they suggested taxi from Moonlight to Tarntawan or from Tawan to BBB Inn.

I had even brave one who wanted to walk from 56 Suriwong all the way to new Madrid Tavern location in Charoen Krung soi 49. That marathon exhausted him though and we returned by tuk-tuk

By the way , if I'm not mistaken one of conditions of allowing fares rise was that taxi drivers will stop refusing passengers

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

even boys those days are more keen on walking, it seems gone are the days why they suggested taxi from Moonlight to Tarntawan or from Tawan to BBB Inn.

Ha Glad to hear it as I've had a few nearly pass out on me when I walked then from DJ to Tarntawan ! 🙂    Me I was having a lovely stroll home, taking in the signts and sounds, then, crying like babies "it's too far, no way call taxi !!!!!!"   but as we were already well more than half way home by that time I insisted we carry on on our apparently arduous hike  - much to their disgust and dismay !  lol

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

while situation improved there are still few clinging to old ways - in May one of Tawan's better developed and in shape guys wanted taxi from Tawan to Mahanakhon

Understandable   ... having big muscles consumes a lot of energy ... muscle men are not good at marathon
If you want to walk, off skinny guys :)

15 hours ago, vinapu said:

if I'm not mistaken one of conditions of allowing fares rise was that taxi drivers will stop refusing passengers

Hopefully you are not mistaken, but I have serious doubts. I have lost track of the number of empty taxis driving past when people try to flag them down. Drivers do not want to get bogged down in traffic, even though the meter still runs, and they much prefer long distances. If they see shopping bags, it seems they just assume you only want to go 2 or 3 kms and will not stop. I see this regularly after I have been to a supermarket very near my condo. I often have to wait for the 5th or 6th empty taxi before it stops. And no, the ones which sailed by did not have "Busy" on their signs - the relatively new indication that they are on they way to pick someone up.

The other much more understandable problem is end of shifts. If the driver does not own his cab, he has to deliver it back at a certain time so that another driver can take his place. Clearly he does not want to go to Don Mueang if the next driver is waiting by Saphan Thaksin! But surely the Transport Dept. could give each owner a sign to place over the meter stating "End of Shift" or some such wording. But that's far too obvious for Thailand, clearly! 

From Thai PBS World

Cabbies must get meters officially adjusted to new fares

Taxi drivers must get their meters adjusted before they will be allowed to charge the new fares, an increase of 6% on the old rate, according to the Land Transport Department.

A meter adjustment service will be available at the Krung Thep Aphiwat Train Terminal (aka Bang Sue Grand Station) from tomorrow until February 28th from 8am until 5pm every day except Sunday.  The service is being provided by four private companies and the adjustment fee ranges from 300-350 baht.

Seksom Akraphand, deputy director-general of the Land Transport Department, said that the service at the railway station can accommodate 1,600-1,800 cars a day, adding that, after the meters are adjusted, they will be officially certified and sealed.

Apart from the train terminal, he said taxi drivers can take their cars to the Land Transport Department for meter adjustment. Between 500 and 600 cars can be serviced each day there.

Responding to complaints from numerous cabbies that the meter adjustment fee is unrealistically expensive, he said that a microchip in each meter has to be replaced.

Seksom insists that the new fares have been set after careful study and consideration, as he reminded taxi drivers to improve their service quality, refrain from rejecting fares or taking advantage of passengers.