Pyrrhus

Trip report Bangkok, Pattaya January 2023

13 hours ago, Londoner said:

Thanks! It always cheers me to hear of posters' happy returns to Thailand! Happy and eager to follow.

I was amused by your "lost" taxi driver. Recently, I took a taxi from the airport to the Jomtien Complex and we ended -up exploring parts of that fair city ( in the dark) which I didn't know existed after the driver got lost. Heaven knows where we ended-up, a frustration after twelve hours in the plane. "Jomtien Complex!"  I repeatedly cried which , when he    used his google sounded like....well, I don't know what but it certainly had nothing to with Jomtien. Or Complex.

Eventually, I said to him "Talay! Talay"  (the sea), and even though my Thai pronunciation is worse than his English, we arrived. 

I suspect the " lost taxi driver " is a scam tactic for some of the drivers to make the trip longer and increase the costs it happened to me twice from the airport to Silom area although the knew the exact addresse I showed them in advance in Thai they somehow managed to "get lost".

5 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Given how little money taxis make it's quite likely the drivers just don't know where they're going. It's not like they have to pass that test London cabbies do

Most of the drivers are fine but the 2 cases I had from the airport to Silom area were obviously a scam I know the area and I explained to them which is the correct way to the hotel but the taxi drivers ignored my instructions pretended don't understand what I am saying to them and "got lost " mirically after endless rounds on the roads they found the correct way to my hotel.  

8 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Given how little money taxis make it's quite likely the drivers just don't know where they're going. It's not like they have to pass that test London cabbies do

Last time I was on route to the Raya from the airport, the driver asked me to get in the front so he could look at the route on my google maps! 

15 hours ago, Pyrrhus said:

at the traditionally Thai-named Happy Beer Garden.

translated to English it means Happy Beer Garden

. Eventually we get a driver for 200. J is satisfied with this and we hop in. As we ride past driver 1, J waves at him and holds up 2 fingers.

I wouldn't do that demonstration , your driver may get into trouble with others for undercutting price

The waitress ...calls me by my name! She must have read it on my credit card earlier in the day, and remembered- I was surprised

Next time pay cash and rest assured she will not call you " Your Majesty ", been there , done that.

Congratulation of fabulous reports and entering forum with Big Bang, at 27 'likes' your Day 1 post is surely among most popular posts of all time on forum