spoon

Post Covid first trip back to Thailand - Bangkok and Pattaya December 2022

39 minutes ago, spoon said:

I did manage to do a shorter trip to Medan, Indonesia in November though. If anyone is interested to read a trip report on that, do let me know as the trip is mostly tourist trip but there is a guy involved lol.

count me in for both , tourist and guy reason

42 minutes ago, spoon said:

if it is better for me to change Thai Baht in Thailand or back home, and found out that changing in Thailand is much better,

by no mean universal  but it 's usually the case for most currencies and most countries. Only oddity I recall this century is Mexico , in Sept in Puerto Vallarta  rates offered were bit to quite worse that I paid buying peso at home  and again 2 month later in Mexico City where best rate  I saw  was actually in the airport , exectly the same situation I remember from previous visit about 20 years ago.

47 minutes ago, spoon said:

While I consider myself an introvert who enjoys my solitude,

I deeply regret I was not able to ruin your solitude that trip but will try to correct myself in future

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

count me in for both , tourist and guy reason

Duly noted. 

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

I deeply regret I was not able to ruin your solitude that trip but will try to correct myself in future

I blame myself as well lol our star just didnt aligned last year

5 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

you definitely did not come across as an introvert

Glad that it doesnt show. Hehe

5 hours ago, Mavica said:

Thank you for your first report, and, especially, for the courtesy of writing with paragraphs.  I look forward to sharing your trip vicariously.  😁

Itll be chinese new year long weekend here, so i should be able to focus on it a bit more hehe.

17 hours ago, Londoner said:

I respect your wise decision to arrange your trip so carefully. A man after my own heart! 

In contrast, my neighbour's gay son (twenty three) and  his boyfriend-and yes, they make a cute couple- have just left for BKK with only their first three nights' accommodation booked. Then they spend three months travelling, where to know they not. In a way, I envy that attitude but I'd be scared to emulate it now. I like  flights and rooms booked. And on hard copies!

What it is to be young!. Nevertheless, one of the great things about Thailand is that it offers something for all ages. 

This trip is my first with a much longer period of unbooked hotel. Previously, only unbooked hotel was for vientienne as im not sure if a boy might join me, so i book the room only after confirming with the boy. Since he smokes, i choose a room with balcony. If im alone, i will have more choices of room/hotel. But i already booked my flight though.

I actually thinking of a side trip to either chiang mai or phuket if my indonesian guy decided to join me, hence another reason to make my trip and booking more flexible. This time, i didnt book any flight, as if i dont have anyone going with me, id rather stay in either bangkok or pattaya. 

17 hours ago, Londoner said:

P and I have spent two Chinese New Years in Thailand.....great memories of dragon dances, lion dances and human towers (on one occasion, with a baby balanced   on the top!). Jaw-dropping. 

I envy you. Have a good time. 

Lion dances can be seen in many places here, especially in big malls. But my plan mostly just to stay at my parents' and visit my grandma place on CNY. No other plans hehe.

4 hours ago, spoon said:

This trip is my first with a much longer period of unbooked hotel

It's the best to travel my last trip 2 months ago in Colombia I booked the hotels and  domestic flights only for the first week and the further booking for hotels and domestic flights done on spot everything went smoothly and it allowed me to be flexible the rest of the trip. All my further trips will be like that.

3 hours ago, spoon said:

Queen unfortunately is not fully open yet, and told us they might have a show on the weekend, so we decided to not waste time there.

I'm a bit surprised that Queen seems to be reorganizing the layout that impressed me (on two previous visits) with its great stage and comfortable seating. Unless of course they're thinking of making it more of a night club type of venue.  The layout never appeared to be the problem that posters complained about when it was New Twilight.

3 hours ago, spoon said:

He woke me up a bit earlier than expected saying he needed to leave early though, something I usually don't have big issues with but certainly will impact my decision for a repeat. As in, he will not be my first choice but will still be in the running. Anyway, I went back to sleep after he left, and he asked me if I was ok with him leaving early and I said I understood. He seems glad that I didn't make any issue of this and yes, it's not a big issue for me.

I believe you were wise not to make an issue of it but agree it would effect my decision on a repeat encounter. He may well have had a legitimate reason for leaving early but he also had an obligation to inform you of that the night before while you were negotiating tip.

Thanks for great report.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

Spoon's adventure in Tawan  shows that  some guys will not got LT , no matter what compensation will be offered , of course within reason

Actually, half way through our conversation, when he is still considering if he will go LT with me, I already regretting my decision asking LT from him. Very minor reason, which isnt his fault but just me being picky. So when he said he couldnt, i didnt even bother considering ST and find that this is a good opportunity to send him away without him losing face.

One side note, there is another tawan guy who were chatting nearby told the first guy off for not going with me LT, saying he just missed an off. When he asked the guy how much was my offer, he got even more disappointed with the guy lol. Well, they were talking in thai, but in my head, thats what i thought how the conversation goes lol

On 1/26/2023 at 12:19 PM, vinapu said:

Very good point about those regular guys, not spoiled by their popularity.  We don, t know what we get but often they are surprisingly rewarding pick as spoon noticed. Often also less demanding when comes to compensation. 

Yes, ive always had great to excellent services when i push my boundary and off boys that's not as popular. But to be honest, i find that i dont feel strongly about repeating even if i cant find no fault. I blame thailand for spoiling us with so many choices lol. Back home, this kind of service warrant them to be my regular for sure.