PeterRS

Happy Year of the Rabbit!

11 hours ago, Lucky said:

Gung Hay Fat Choi

Sincerely echoed, although that is the Cantonese version. Most Chinese will have been wshing their family and friends Gong Xi Fa Cai! I hope all of us older ones have prepared Lucky Red Packets with a little cash inside for our younger paramours in Thailand. So many Thais have some Chinese blood thanks to the large wave of Chinese Immigration in the 19th century.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Although I lived in Hong Kong, like many expatriates I found the nine tone levels in Cantonese quite difficult to master. Invited to a rather elegant dinner soon after I first arrived, I asked my secretary what I should say to the hostess after a good meal. Driving up to The Peak I practised saying the phrase many times. But after the meal I got the tones wrong, All the guests laughed, but no one would tell me what mistake I had made. It was only in the office the next morning that i was advised to be more careful with my tone levels. What I had said was more or less "I am a sex maniac"!

Well, sometimes one has to tell the truth 🤣 🤣

In tone, veritas!

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

All the guests laughed, but no one would tell me what mistake I had made. It was only in the office the next morning that i was advised to be more careful with my tone levels. What I had said was more or less "I am a sex maniac"!

That reminds me of a similar story when I was learning Italian in Italy.  Each Monday morning we had to try to say what we did during the weekend.  So, I said something like, "Ho scopato tante nuove cose" - I fucked many new things - when I wanted to instead say, "Ho scoperto tante nuove cose" - I discovered many new things....

The teacher barked at me and told me to stay quiet and to sit down!!!

I never made that mistake again even if it was not far from the actual reality of my weekend  :>))

12 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

That reminds me of a similar story when I was learning Italian in Italy.  Each Monday morning we had to try to say what we did during the weekend.  So, I said something like, "Ho scopato tante nuove cose" - I fucked many new things - when I wanted to instead say, "Ho scoperto tante nuove cose" - I discovered many new things....

The teacher barked at me and told me to stay quiet and to sit down!!!

I never made that mistake again even if it was not far from the actual reality of my weekend  :>))

well, the first meaning of scopare is actually cleaning with a broom, so i guess the teacher was in malafede (in bad faith).😜