TotallyOz

Gay Bangkok 2023

I would love your thoughts about this article on Gay Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand is widely known for its rich culture, delicious street food, and bustling nightlife. But what many people may not know is that Bangkok is also a fantastic destination for the LGBTQ+ community. From vibrant gay neighborhoods to inclusive hotels and bars, Bangkok offers something for everyone in the LGBTQ+ community.

One of the most popular gay neighborhoods in Bangkok is Silom. Located in the heart of the city, Silom is home to a wide variety of gay bars and clubs, as well as several gay saunas. The area is also home to the famous Silom Soi 4, which is lined with rainbow flags and is a must-visit spot for LGBTQ+ travelers. The street is home to several bars and clubs, each with its unique atmosphere and crowd. From the lively DJ Station to the more relaxed Telephone Pub, there is something for everyone on Silom Soi 4.

Another great spot for LGBTQ+ travelers is the Khao San Road area. Known as the backpacker's hub of Bangkok, this area is home to a diverse crowd, including many LGBTQ+ travelers. The area is also home to several inclusive hotels, such as the Sawasdee Guesthouse, which offers a welcoming and inclusive environment for all guests.

In addition to its vibrant gay neighborhoods, Bangkok also offers a wide range of LGBTQ+-friendly events and festivals. One of the most popular events is the annual Bangkok Pride Parade, which takes place in November and attracts thousands of participants from all over the world. The parade is a colorful and festive celebration of diversity and inclusivity, and is a must-see for anyone visiting Bangkok during that time.

Bangkok also has a growing number of LGBTQ+-friendly restaurants and cafes, such as the Famous Gay-owned David's Kitchen and the ever so popular Siam2nite, where you can enjoy delicious Thai food while surrounded by a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere.

In conclusion, Bangkok offers a fantastic destination for the LGBTQ+ community. With its vibrant gay neighborhoods, inclusive hotels and bars, and exciting events and festivals, Bangkok is a city that truly celebrates diversity and inclusivity. Whether you're looking to party the night away on Silom Soi 4 or explore the city's rich culture, Bangkok has something for everyone in the LGBTQ+ community.

Here is another version.

Bangkok, the vibrant capital city of Thailand, is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. Known for its delicious street food, temples, and lively nightlife, Bangkok is also becoming increasingly recognized as a great destination for the LGBTQ+ community.

One of the main reasons why Bangkok is a great destination for the gay community is its acceptance and inclusivity. The Thai culture is traditionally quite open and accepting of diversity, and this is reflected in the city's gay scene. There are many gay-friendly bars, clubs, and restaurants throughout Bangkok, and the city even has its own annual Pride parade.

Another great aspect of Bangkok for the gay community is the city's nightlife. Bangkok is known for its lively and diverse nightlife, and this is true for the gay scene as well. There are many gay bars and clubs throughout the city, each with its own unique atmosphere and crowd. From the trendy and upscale clubs in Silom to the more laid-back bars in Thonglor, there's something for everyone in Bangkok's gay nightlife.

In addition to the nightlife, there are also plenty of other things to do and see in Bangkok that are of interest to the LGBTQ+ community. For example, the city is home to many museums and art galleries that showcase the work of LGBTQ+ artists, and there are also many gay-friendly hotels and resorts that offer a more luxurious and relaxing experience.

Overall, Bangkok is a fantastic destination for the LGBTQ+ community. With its acceptance, inclusivity, and diverse nightlife, it offers something for everyone. Whether you're looking for a fun night out with friends, a romantic getaway with your partner, or an opportunity to explore and learn more about the Thai culture, Bangkok has it all.

For those who are planning to visit Bangkok for their next vacation, be sure to check out the city's gay scene and see for yourself why it's becoming such a popular destination for the LGBTQ+ community. With its welcoming atmosphere, delicious food and endless things to do, you'll surely have a great time in this wonderful city.

From ChatGPT

Thank you for acknowledging that the post was written by a language model (ChatGPT). It is important to understand that while AI language models like ChatGPT can assist with generating text, it is ultimately up to human oversight to ensure the information provided is accurate and appropriate.

1 minute ago, TotallyOz said:

You are correct @gayinpattaya both were written by ChatGPT.  I wasn't sure if anyone would pick up on it or not. But, pretty fucking amazing how well written they are except for some things that only we would know. Right?

It's impressive and quite worrisome. I have been using ChatGPT for some things, playing around. It's a strange time we are going into, when we are almost at a point where so many jobs will be no more, as AI will do it better. 

The first article places DJ Station in Soi 4. Obviously "ChatGPT" has never been to Silom.

From National Public Radio (USA)

This 22-year-old is trying to save us from ChatGPT before it changes writing forever

Edward Tian

While many Americans were nursing hangovers on New Year's Day, 22-year-old Edward Tian was working feverishly on a new app to combat misuse of a powerful, new artificial intelligence tool called ChatGPT.

Given the buzz it's created, there's a good chance you've heard about ChatGPT. It's an interactive chatbot powered by machine learning. The technology has basically devoured the entire Internet, reading the collective works of humanity and learning patterns in language that it can recreate. All you have to do is give it a prompt, and ChatGPT can do an endless array of things: write a story in a particular style, answer a question, explain a concept, compose an email — write a college essay — and it will spit out coherent, seemingly human-written text in seconds.

The technology is both awesome — and terrifying.

"I think we're absolutely at an inflection point," Tian says. "This technology is incredible. I do believe it's the future. But, at the same time, it's like we're opening Pandora's Box. And we need safeguards to adopt it responsibly."

Tian is a senior at Princeton University, where he majors in computer science and minors in journalism. Before his recent foray into the limelight, Tian's biggest plans were graduating college and getting his wisdom teeth pulled. Now he's fielding calls from venture capital firms, education leaders, and global media outlets.

Over the last couple years, Tian has been studying an AI system called GPT-3, a predecessor to ChatGPT that was less user-friendly and largely inaccessible to the general public because it was behind a paywall. As part of his studies this fall semester, Tian researched how to detect text written by the AI system while working at Princeton's Natural Language Processing Lab.

Then, as the semester was coming to a close, OpenAI, the company behind GPT-3 and other AI tools, released ChatGPT to the public for free. For the millions of people around the world who have used it since, interacting with the technology has been like getting a peek into the future; a future that not too long ago would have seemed like science fiction.

Despite having studied AI, Tian, like the rest of us, was gobsmacked by the power of ChatGPT. He and his friends used it to write poems and raps about each other. "And it was like: 'Wow, these results are pretty good,'" Tian says. It seemed like everyone on campus was talking about how remarkable this new technology was. Sure, the text it generates is pretty formulaic and not always accurate. But it also feels like the beginning of a revolution.

For many users of the new technology, wonderment quickly turned to alarm. How many jobs will this kill? Will this empower nefarious actors and further corrupt our public discourse? How will this disrupt our education system? What is the point of learning to write essays at school when AI — which is expected to get exponentially better in the near future — can do that for us?

Stephen Marche, writing in The Atlantic last month, declared "The College Essay Is Dead." He paints ChatGPT and the AI revolution as part of an existential crisis for the humanities. "The essay, in particular the undergraduate essay, has been the center of humanistic pedagogy for generations," Marche writes. "It is the way we teach children how to research, think, and write. That entire tradition is about to be disrupted from the ground up."

Edward vs The Machine

After the fall semester ended, Tian traveled home to Toronto for the holidays. He hung out with his family. He watched Netflix. But he couldn't shake thoughts about the monumental challenges confronting humanity due to rapidly advancing AI.

And then he had an idea. What if he applied what he had learned at school over the last couple years to help the public identify whether something has been written by a machine?

Tian already had the know-how and even the software on his laptop to create such a program. Ironically, this software, called GitHub Co-Pilot, is powered by GPT-3. With its assistance, Tian was able to create a new app within three days. It's a testament to the power of this technology to make us more productive.

On January 2nd, Tian released his app. He named it GPTZero. It basically uses ChatGPT against itself, checking whether "there's zero involvement or a lot of involvement" of the AI system in creating a given text.

When Tian went to bed that night, he didn't expect much for his app. "When I put this out there, I just thought maybe a few dozen people at best might try it," Tian says. "I was not expecting what happened."

When Tian woke up, his phone had blown up. He saw countless texts and DMs from journalists, principals, teachers, you name it, from places as far away as France and Switzerland. His app, which is hosted by a free platform, became so popular it crashed. Excited by the popularity and purpose of his app, the hosting platform has since granted Tian the resources needed to scale the app's services to a mass audience.

Fighting The Hallmarkization Of Everything

Tian says he has a couple primary motivations for creating GPTZero. The first is transparency. "Humans deserve to know when something is written by a human or written by a machine," he says.

Along these lines, one obvious application for GPTZero is to help teachers identify whether their students are plagiarizing their essays from ChatGPT. "Teachers from all over the world are worried about this," Tian says.

Some in the technology world, however, are not quite sold that copying and pasting what ChatGPT spits out is even a problem. "'ChatGPT plagiarism,' is a complete non-issue," tweeted Marc Andreessen, a venture capitalist and Internet pioneer, earlier this month. "If you can't out-write a machine, what are you doing writing?"

Elon Musk, one of the original co-founders of OpenAI, recently tweeted, "It's a new world. Goodbye homework!" in response to reports that schools were imposing strict new measures against ChatGPT plagiarism.

Of course, these are just flippant tweets. But it really does feel like we've entered a new world where we're being forced to re-evaluate our education system and even the value — or at least the method — of teaching kids how to write.

Many of us lost our will — even our ability — to remember phone numbers when cell phones came along. By outsourcing memorization to a machine, we've become dependent on it to call our friends and family. You might say it's been for the best, and it's freed our minds to concentrate on other matters. Or you might consider it a kind of de-evolution, a dumbing down of our mental abilities. Don't lose your cell phone!

Now humanity faces the prospect of an even greater dependence on machines. It's possible we're heading towards a world where an even larger swath of the populace loses their ability to write well. It's a world in which all of our written communication might become like a Hallmark card, written without our own creativity, personality, ideas, emotions, or idiosyncrasies. Call it the Hallmarkization of everything.

But at least when we give people Hallmark cards, people know we're giving them Hallmark cards. If you use ChatGPT to write your friend a congratulations or an apology, they might not even know it was written by a machine.

Which brings us to the other purpose that Tian envisions for his app: to identify and incentivize originality in human writing. "We're losing that individuality if we stop teaching writing at schools," Tian says. "Human writing can be so beautiful, and there are aspects of it that computers should never co-opt. And it feels like that might be at risk if everybody is using ChatGPT to write."

Tian is no Luddite. He isn't trying to stop AI in its tracks. He believes that's impossible, and, he says, he opposes blanket bans against use of ChatGPT, like the one recently announced by New York City public schools. Students, he believes, will use the technology anyway. And, he says, it's important they're able to learn how to use it. They need to be aware of the technological changes that are sweeping our world. "It doesn't make sense that we go into that future blindly," he says. "Instead, you need to build the safeguards to enter that future."

As for his plans after college, Tian says, the excitement — and clear demand — for his new app has convinced him that he should concentrate on making it a better, more accurate product. "If you're a teacher or an educator, our team — which right now is just me and my best friend from college, who just joined yesterday — we would love to talk to you," Tian says.

So if you encounter some text that you suspect may be written by a machine, maybe run it through Tian's new app? You can find it at GPTZero.me.

I listen to a few tech podcasts and they've been all over this thing. There was an interesting interview with a US highschool English teacher and how she is using it. Apparently it's a good head start on creating lesson plans. And it sounds like smart teachers are recognizing that their students will be using it, so they're teaching them what it's useful for, and what it can't do well. As noted there are frequently factual errors in what ChatGPT outputs. So it might be a good start but it still needs human intervention to fact check. I guess it can also give good feedback on student-generated writing by pointing out what could be improved.  

I picked up on it being AI generated right away. There's a certain elementary structure to it.

12 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

I have been using ChatGPT for some things,

Use it next time we start talking anything Covid related, can only help improve your standing on this board 

12 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I wasn't sure if anyone would pick up on it or not.

I knew as soon as I read it.....

• Members
On 1/23/2023 at 12:26 AM, TotallyOz said:

From ChatGPT

Thank you for acknowledging that the post was written by a language model (ChatGPT). It is important to understand that while AI language models like ChatGPT can assist with generating text, it is ultimately up to human oversight to ensure the information provided is accurate and appropriate.

From all the answers I have seen it give (to phusics tests, geography tests, English essays, translations, requests to create a new programI) t is pretty clear to me that chatgpt has human-level intelligence.

Yes it makes mistakes and people keep pointing out those mistakes, but every times that I see one of these mistakes pointed out, I keep thinking “but many humans could have made that mistake!”
It understand the world like a human does. It misunderstands certains things and doesn’t know certain things, but so do most humans. 

This is a major breakthrough, we have created a human level intelligence: it dies as well as an average human would do. (Except it is already much much faster than humans.)

It will only be a year or so of continuous improvements before it gets better than most humans.

And then another 20 years before it gets better than all humans. 

The implications are enormous. 

1 minute ago, Tartegogo said:

And then another 20 years before it gets better than all humans. 

The implications are enormous. 

Yes and no, affluent people  I rich countries will feel impact, bad and good. Mostly bad as I would, t expect much of kindness from after all, machine. In meantime poor half will be still suffering from hunger, drought and disease. Fact that AI will be able to  lecture them eloquently about their predicaments will console very few. 

This is the first time I have heard of ChatGPT! And the description above is too long for me to bother reading it, sorry. I seem to have managed OK without it!

As for the subject of the thread and the two versions of the article @TotallyOz posted, mostly they are rubbish! Neither really provides anything like a true picture of the Bangkok gay scene. There are inaccuracies (@reader has already pointed out the fact that DJ Station is in Soi 2 and not Soi 4), to suggest that the Bangkok Gay Pride Parade "attracts thousands of participants from all around the world" is utter nonsense! The only Asian Pride Parade that does actually attract thousands of active participants is in Taipei. Additionally the trendy and upscale clubs are in Thonglor, not the other way around in Silom Soi 4. What's an "inclusive hotel"? As for restaurants, I always thought Siam2nite is a website and not an eatery. Perhaps I am wrong. Also as a 20 year resident I have never heard of David's Kitchen. Isn't it in Chiang Mai? There are vastly more gay friendly eateries, at least some of which should be listed (even including @vinapu's favourite, the 7-Michelin starred Foodland 🤣). As for museums and galleries, is there in fact even one that regularly showcases LGBT exhibitions? Not that I know of!

Apart from the inaccuracies, both articles are far too full of almost meaningless generalities when what is needed in such an article is detail, detail. detail! Nothing about specific bars, gogo bars, massage spas etc. I get the impression this was actually written 30 or more years ago and appeared in publications like Spartacus (although the Pride Parade did not actually start until the late 1990s)!

The entire OpenAI chatGPT and soon Google LaMDA AI technologies are very fascinating.

BUT, in terms of the way that humans think and can forecast patterns - the AI is not always accurate or returns incorrect answers / logical predictions.

https://www.assemblyai.com/blog/how-chatgpt-actually-works/

However, even with its current shortcomings - I am quite sure that each future iteration will be better than the previous.....

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

This is the first time I have heard of ChatGPT! And the description above is too long for me to bother reading it, sorry. I seem to have managed OK without it!

As for the subject of the thread and the two versions of the article @TotallyOz posted, mostly they are rubbish! Neither really provides anything like a true picture of the Bangkok gay scene. There are inaccuracies (@reader has already pointed out the fact that DJ Station is in Soi 2 and not Soi 4), to suggest that the Bangkok Gay Pride Parade "attracts thousands of participants from all around the world" is utter nonsense! The only Asian Pride Parade that does actually attract thousands of active participants is in Taipei. Additionally the trendy and upscale clubs are in Thonglor, not the other way around in Silom Soi 4. What's an "inclusive hotel"? As for restaurants, I always thought Siam2nite is a website and not an eatery. Perhaps I am wrong. Also as a 20 year resident I have never heard of David's Kitchen. Isn't it in Chiang Mai? There are vastly more gay friendly eateries, at least some of which should be listed (even including @vinapu's favourite, the 7-Michelin starred Foodland 🤣). As for museums and galleries, is there in fact even one that regularly showcases LGBT exhibitions? Not that I know of!

Apart from the inaccuracies, both articles are far too full of almost meaningless generalities when what is needed in such an article is detail, detail. detail! Nothing about specific bars, gogo bars, massage spas etc. I get the impression this was actually written 30 or more years ago and appeared in publications like Spartacus (although the Pride Parade did not actually start until the late 1990s)!

This is how people react when the human intelligence is about to being overtaken by machines. We saw this already a few times in history.

First, the Chess players laughed and said, "a computer will never play Chess better than humans". Well, nevertheless it happened in the 90s and the world champion has been defeated . Nowadays, any smartphone plays better than any human...

Then, the Go players laughed and said, "a computer will never play Go better than humans, it is way to complicated and you need real inteliigence to be able to play it on a good level". Well, in 2016 the computer won against one of the best players in the world.

It is pretty clear that soon we will be overtaken in many more things we are so proud of only humans are capable of.

Who knows, one day, machines will even have better sex than we have ...

4 hours ago, 10tazione said:

This is how people react when the human intelligence is about to being overtaken by machines. We saw this already a few times in history.

First, the Chess players laughed and said, "a computer will never play Chess better than humans". Well, nevertheless it happened in the 90s and the world champion has been defeated . Nowadays, any smartphone plays better than any human...

Then, the Go players laughed and said, "a computer will never play Go better than humans, it is way to complicated and you need real inteliigence to be able to play it on a good level". Well, in 2016 the computer won against one of the best players in the world.

I admit I was staggered when I learned that a computer had come out on top (as it were) in Go. But I will not live long enough for AI to do many of the things I would like. When it can replace a gorgeous Thai or Taiwanese or Japanese twink in a naked gogo bar and then join me for the best sex, then I'll take it more seriously!!

11 hours ago, PeterRS said:

And the description above is too long for me to bother reading it, sorry.

The nerve! 😆

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

When it can replace a gorgeous Thai or Taiwanese or Japanese twink in a naked gogo bar and then join me for the best sex, then I'll take it more seriously!!

Evolution/progress is inevitable whether we accept it or not

ChatGPT takes exams from law and business schools

From CNN

ChatGPT is smart enough to pass prestigious graduate-level exams – though not with particularly high marks.

The powerful new AI chatbot tool recently passed law exams in four courses at the University of Minnesota and another exam at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, according to professors at the schools.

To test how well ChatGPT could generate answers on exams for the four courses, professors at the University of Minnesota Law School recently graded the tests blindly. After completing 95 multiple choice questions and 12 essay questions, the bot performed on average at the level of a C+ student, achieving a low but passing grade in all four courses.

ChatGPT fared better during a business management course exam at Wharton, where it earned a B to B- grade. In a paper detailing the performance, Christian Terwiesch, a Wharton business professor, said ChatGPT did “an amazing job” at answering basic operations management and process-analysis questions but struggled with more advanced prompts and made “surprising mistakes” with basic math.

“These mistakes can be massive in magnitude,” he wrote.

The test results come as a growing number of schools and teachers express concerns about the immediate impact of ChatGPT on students and their ability to cheat on assignments. Some educators are now moving with remarkable speed to rethink their assignments in response to ChatGPT, even as it remains unclear how widespread use is of the tool among students and how harmful it could really be to learning.

Continues with video

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/tech/chatgpt-passes-exams/index.html

The article is bland and lacks hard facts. If I had to summarize it, there would be zero. (PeterRS put it much better).

However, similar can be said by articles about gay Bangkok written before ChatGPT. Droning about history and culture (copy paste from elsewhere?), and there must be "hustle and bustle" and "wind down" at least once in the article; whereas all I want to know is "where and how much?".