Latbear4blk

flight tickets to rio from dc

• Members
9 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Hello there!

Has anyone traveled to Brazil from the US in airlines other than American and United? I see lower prices in Delta, Copa, and Latam, but I am uncertain about how reliable they are. Any good or bad experiences with them?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

I have flown Avianca from the U.S. to Brazil and Colombia. They are a pretty decent airline. I've only flown Copa and Latam while inside Brazil. My experience was that they were just like your standard airline, like UA and AA. Neither one gave me the low quality feel like a Spirit or Frontier Airlines flight.

• Members

From Canada I have split about evenly between Air Canada to São Paulo direct, or Copa to Rio or other Brazilian cities via Tocumen. The latter has always been fine, and sometimes staggeringly low prices at any fare class. The one hassle has been nail-biting extremely short layover in Panama, or dreadfully long, ie, 4-5+ hours. Shockingly, my checked luggage has made it thru 45-minute connection (that is their shortest but “legal” layover) but I would probably try to restrict to carryon in that event. In winter there’s always the risk of weather delaying Canada departure and messing with short layover, but so far so good. April would likely not pose that problem from DC. Also, both legs shift according to day of week. Generally, I look at one-way schedules for windows of desired days, give or take, and strategize from there based on the layover variations and possibly prices. Obviously, whole trip return then booked to capitalize on lowest fare and guaranteed destination. Lastly, the Tocumen expansion may mean a longer more stressful sprint from arrival to transfer gate. And annoying pop-up repeat X-ray security clearance at times directly at transfer gate. 

• Members

I ended buying an Economy Plus ticket from United from DC to SP, and then to and from Rio with Gol and Latam. The total bill was almost 1.4K, it would have been almost 1K without the Plus tickets.

There are cheaper flights from DC, but involve two stops or more than 23 hours in transit.

• Members
2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

I ended buying an Economy Plus ticket from United from DC to SP, and then to and from Rio with Gol and Latam. The total bill was almost 1.4K, it would have been almost 1K without the Plus tickets.

There are cheaper flights from DC, but involve two stops or more than 23 hours in transit.

So envious. Try flying from Oceania. My tickets are twice or more ☹️