12is12

Santo Domingo - 5th report(?): Marlow's and Apolo

Marlow's: 

Went there midweek at about 22:30. Relative small room; 30 sitting places. Very nice bartender (sorry I forgot to ask his name), who made me a delicious un-alcoholic drink, and upon learning it's my first time - took me on a tour: A back door leading to a smoking room, at the back of which there's a "darkroom" not really dark. Men were standing there chatting. 

Since the time was early (ie - b4 midnight), there were only about  5 people in each of the three rooms. I think about half were hustlers; some of them tried to make contact with me. They all looked too rough and unappealling to me. 

The main reason I won't return is the music volume. It's louder than at Jometien's bars; all the worse, bcs unlike them - it's a closed room. More's the pity for me; I cant verbally interact in such noise, let alone at my Spanish level. 

Apolo Spa: 

Leaving the bar, I walked there one short block. Arrived at 22:55, only to b told it's closing time. Enterance fee - 1500. 

Returned on Strdy at 20:00, but alas - worse volume prblm than at Marlowe's, only on weekends. Two info-gathering failures on my part. )-: 

Asked the handsome receptionist if I cld take a peek (at the spa, not at him). Gave me a sweet "no" smile.