18past19

If you happen to be on the LOS during Songkran,

…… would you rather stay in BKK or Pattaya? 

I have never envisioned to visit Thailand during their songkran for what i heard about most boys usually going back their home. And also i wanted to avoid the crowds. 

But i am curious where you would stay BKK versus Pattaya if you happen to be in thailand during songkran. 

academic for me as April is out of bounds for me for travel and like you,  I don't like crowds and on top of it hate heat - April is hottest month,  but if I had luck in 6/49 and travelled there I'd stay in Bangkok , preferably in Raya as they provide drying rack for clothes ( Furama Sathorn Xclusive also does in some rooms )

I’ve been in Bangkok for many Songkran’s .  I’ve always had a great time.  I read many times all the boys go home. May be true for many Thai hoys , but there are so many non Thai working guys places usually still have a full working staff.    I’m a city person so crowds and traffic don’t bother me, but I do have friends that don’t enjoy it and leave for a week.    The crowds tend to be centered in certain areas, so easy to avoid if you want.   Will you get wet? Probably.  But it’s so hot you dry fast.    Find a hot, wet , shirtless guy to take back to your hotel and help you shower.  Can be fun.   🥵
I live in South Florida so heat is the same for  me, home or in Bangkok.  Not an issue.  Again I have friends that don’t like the heat and avoid it.  
It all comes down to your personal tastes.    It will be, Hot, crowded, and wet.    There also will be a lot of hot working guys looking to make some baht for a week of partying.    

35 minutes ago, paulsf said:

I’ve been in Bangkok for many Songkran’s .  I’ve always had a great time.  I read many times all the boys go home. May be true for many Thai hoys , but there are so many non Thai working guys places usually still have a full working staff.    I’m a city person so crowds and traffic don’t bother me, but I do have friends that don’t enjoy it and leave for a week.    The crowds tend to be centered in certain areas, so easy to avoid if you want.   Will you get wet? Probably.  But it’s so hot you dry fast.    Find a hot, wet , shirtless guy to take back to your hotel and help you shower.  Can be fun.   🥵
I live in South Florida so heat is the same for  me, home or in Bangkok.  Not an issue.  Again I have friends that don’t like the heat and avoid it.  
It all comes down to your personal tastes.    It will be, Hot, crowded, and wet.    There also will be a lot of hot working guys looking to make some baht for a week of partying.    

Many non-Thai boys also go back home. Songkran is New Year when families gathered. For many boys from Laos or Cambodia this is sometimes the only period in the year they go back home to pay respect to the elderly members of the family.

I will follow the boys and fly to Siem Reap Cambodia...

Vinapu: yes, you know which boy I will follow 😉 

Having been through Songkran more than once if I ventured back when it was on I would grab a boy or two and head up to Khao Kho for a few days until the Songkran parties in Bangkok are finished.

Pre Covid:

Our Songkran used to start in Silom on the night of April 12th, at the time Twilight was still going strong and the party poopers on Soi 4 had not brought in their water ban. As soon as it hit around 23.00 the water would start to flow and Songkran would unofficially kick off.

We would then spend the day of the 13th in Silom and move to Khao San road on the 14th, before heading to Pattaya that evening.

Pattaya on the 15th was usually Soi 6/7/8 in the day time before heading to Country Road or Bamboo Bar in Jomtien, just in time to "terrorise" the Baht bus customers heading home from the beach. (Remember Songkran haters: one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter!)

16 and 17 were usually quiet enough in Pattaya, except Soi 6/7/8, Soi Buakow and some play in Jomtien near Country Road/Bamboo Bar.

Naklua was the place to be on the 18th and it used to be mobbed with gay boys out having fun and grabbing cocks at the same time they plaster powder on your face! A bag of beers is usually a handy thing to have with you for sharing with new friends. There was usually also an outdoor Morlam that night which again would turn to water chaos, especially as it is so hot, there is no option but to cool down! A lot of the gay boys stay up all that night, usually ending up on walking street which unofficially turns 24 hours for 1 night only.

On the 19th it is of course all out madness all over the town with bumper to bumper traffic for miles, again we usually hit Soi 6/7/8 and Central before heading to Jomtien Complex for the festivities there... 

When i first started coming to Pattaya in 2001 it was guaranteed to rain at 19.00 on the 19th and all water play would stop, I remember wading home the roads were so flooded with rains, however the last few years pre-covid I noticed that water & powder play would continue on until the early hours of the 20th, especially in the late night venues

Post Covid:

Last year was a disaster with Covid and the water play ban, The "powder parties" in JC were fun last year, but not very good for your lungs!

Who knows whether the authorities will once again make another water ban... But if they don't we will be repeating our traditions as much as we can!

8 hours ago, 18past19 said:

And i was surprised to Montien on the list of host hotels. i thought it is not very gay friendly or joiner friendly.

If both guests are registered, they really can't object. Montein's reputation is about denying access to unregistered guests (joiners) of ether persuasion.

6 hours ago, reader said:

If both guests are registered, they really can't object. Montein's reputation is about denying access to unregistered guests (joiners) of ether persuasion.

Although they were one of the earliest five star hotels in that sex orientated area, as Reader writes they were careful to ensure that it never became a place for casual hook ups. Having eaten there several times last year, the food in the Ruenton restaurant is fabulous, I am confident that the hotel isn't gay unfriendly. I believe it is still owned by the original family who had it built.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:01 PM, khaolakguy said:

the food in the Ruenton restaurant is fabulous,

Having eaten there only once with a local friend, my experience is limited. but i didnt find anything to complain during my short visit for a dinner that time. 

if they are joiner friendly i would have loved to stay there. 

• Members
On 2/11/2023 at 12:12 PM, 18past19 said:

heat and humidity could be really bad. but i am gonna have a short stretch of days off in mid April and i am entertaining a possibility. 

otherwise i have no place to use the left over PrEP pills. 

With the heat, most guys take shirt off on the street and in the bars.  I still remember dancing/squeezing in the crowd of shirtless/wet/smooth guys. Those are the good old days.