Menaughty

Some Specific Brazil Questions

Hello everyone, before I continue, I would like to clarify that I have ready dozens of Brazil posts in this forum and they are all very helpful. However I have some specific questions that I would like to ask 🙂

I still haven't booked tickets yet.

1. Everyone says to carry a cheap alternative phone, which one y'all recommend especially for uber?
2. Are there any food delivery apps?
3. Where do you exchange money at the airport? I see people talk about ATM but are there any currency exchange options at the airport (Sao Paulo or Rio)?

4. As this will be my first time, I would like to see at least the touristy spots, do you think an Airbnb Experience will be a safe option?

5. Is there a place to purchase a sim card with data at the airport (Sao Paulo or Rio)?

6. For GP saunas, is it the same as Barcelona Thermas, where you go back to your locker after the session to grab the cash and meet the guy and hand him the cash or is there a different method followed in brazil?

Thank you so much 

Very practical questions. My experience:

1. If you're going to buy a phone for the trip, but something used that draws less attention. 

2. I understand Uber eats left Brazil. iFood is big but will not process international payments, at least never for me. I tend to use rappi but the selection is sometimes limited. 

3. I try to use my phone to pay for most things using Google Pay. It's quick, works almost everywhere and I have not had my card cloned this way. For cash money, i like the ATMs inside any big, big bank during the day. There are guards inside and it's safer than street ATMs. There is also a big group of ATMs at GRU as you exit the international terminal. It's relatively safe to get cash there. I don't use money traders myself.

4. Love Airbnb's! I've never had an issue after seven or eight trips to Rio.

5. I've seen the kiosk in Rio and I'm SP, sometimes it's staffed sometimes not. If you can, just get Google Fi, then ask for a data only chip and put that in your throwaway phone. If you must do a chip, do it at the airport and not local cell stores where you often need a CPF/national id number. 

6. I suppose this depends on how you're dressed. If you're in a towel you'll have to go back and no one will be surprised or upset. You can also stay in street clothes and carry some cash with you, not recommended though. 

Have fun!

Thank you for the answers y'all.

I got one more...lol

I see that Lagoa has some shows too. Do they take place at a different floor? Are Garotos still available during the show or does everyone sits down and watches the show? 

I know it's a stupid question but just wanna make sure 😄

• Members
18 hours ago, Menaughty said:

Thank you for the answers y'all.

I got one more...lol

I see that Lagoa has some shows too. Do they take place at a different floor? Are Garotos still available during the show or does everyone sits down and watches the show? 

I know it's a stupid question but just wanna make sure 😄

GP are available anytime, they stand/walk around.  Lagoa is at an awful location in a one way small alley.  When I left, I had to wait 40 minutes to finally get an Uber.  They all missed the corner and can't backup, hence canceled.  All 7 of them canceled, they were all very close but somehow just missed this one way turn.  

• Members

Like the pole dance studio across the street, you were really left hanging …

Pedro Taques formerly ran north-south as recently as some time point in 2022; rides got to #130 from Consolação and couldn’t miss, though I always tracked and waved them down. Now they overshoot the new direction turn running north and traffic too dense to back up. The key is to track the vehicle location and flag it on Bela Cintra as it travels east. Or simply use the Mercado Remax address: Bela Cintra #413.

05584BF1-B120-4548-9764-B45E3AB3D75F.jpeg

• Members
On 2/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, scott456 said:

GP are available anytime, they stand/walk around.  Lagoa is at an awful location in a one way small alley.  When I left, I had to wait 40 minutes to finally get an Uber.  They all missed the corner and can't backup, hence canceled.  All 7 of them canceled, they were all very close but somehow just missed this one way turn.  

A question. One of the joys of the old Lagoa was the security outside who were very obliging at organising a taxi. Do they do this at the new location? 

1 minute ago, sydneyboy1 said:

A question. One of the joys of the old Lagoa was the security outside who were very obliging at organising a taxi. Do they do this at the new location? 

Yes...there are 2 regular "taxi" guys there if they're not on a run....Paulo, kind of loud and crazy at times and tries to severely overcharge, just look at the price on Uber and show him. And also Douglas, a very professional bearded gentleman with a nice car, I use him to take me to the airport as well when I'm leaving.

If they are tied up, it's Uber

• Members
1 hour ago, scott456 said:

I would rather wait for Uber than haggling with someone.  But congratulations on your language skills and the ability to deal with scums.  I always tell them to leave me alone I am just waiting for my Uber.  Same with some ugly out of shape GPs, I just tell them, please don't talk to me.

In the past, the old location, the security guard would hail a taxi from what would appear to have been a rank down the street or a passing taxi. I never had dramas with haggling over the tariff when I reached my hotel.

• Members
10 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

In the past, the old location, the security guard would hail a taxi from what would appear to have been a rank down the street or a passing taxi. I never had dramas with haggling over the tariff when I reached my hotel.

Yes I think everything about the old Lagoa is better: location, floor plan, locker room, bar, sitting area, boys etc...everything.

• Members

Many places to relax and still subtly check out guys and things. Can't beat that sightline from the lawn chairs (where our exhausted beauties rest up for their next encounter) through the locker area to the pool area. 

Now the site is just another skinny skyscraper condo building. Oh, the poltergeists the new residents will find!

• Members
1 hour ago, Menaughty said:

What bus have wifi that goes from Sao Paulo to Rio and back?

Many people seem to travel with Auto Viação 1001. I find their wifi on that route to be unreliable, spotty. I just use my international roaming if needed, or read or watch streaming previously downloaded on my phone. I don’t know if travellers with local SIM are using their cellular plan data; I assume so. I have not travelled with other companies that sell fares through their own sites/counters or through Busbud or Cometa. Be advised that your passport is required to purchase and board. If you check baggage it is tagged at point of stowage; don’t lose the little flimsy strip receipt you are given as you are expected to produce it upon arrival in order to retrieve your luggage. Airplane cabin size bags are typically not stowed at your seat. 

• Members
On 2/27/2023 at 4:12 AM, SolaceSoul said:

If I were you, I’d consider still being firm but being kinder and gentler, so as not to come across as a rude and condescending guest in another country — which could get you in a world of trouble with the wrong person.

This weekend, at Ipanema Beach, I witnessed a beach vendor (hocking his henna tattoos) pull a knife on, and curse and yell violently at, a white, slim, and clearly visibly gay male tourist who dismissively shrugged off his sales pitch for a temporary tattoo

😀