ichigo

Island recommendation

Hi all,

I'm just having a think about my next Thailand holiday and would love spend some days having a relaxing time on an island resort. As Thailand's islands are plentiful, I'm hoping for some recommendations if you have any. Preferably easy to get to (like one flight from Bangkok, or one ferry ride), beach/ocean views (from the hotel), good food nearby etc. Not completely remote, but not too built up either. Not too worried about gay bars or massage parlours as I'm sure there will be options on Grindr. I've already been to Phuket and Koh Larn, so preferably somewhere I haven't been. Or even somewhere coastal, not necessarily an island. If you have any ideas, I would be thankful! 

Cheers!

5 hours ago, joshhb said:

Koh Samed. 3 hours 2500B taxi.  Busy at weekends with Bangkok residents. Very local. No big resorts. Just rent a motorcycle.

Koh Lanta. Fly to Krabi and drive for 1 hr. Bigger island again few resorts. Best to have a car. Amazing sunsets 

Thank you! Will add these places on my list to research.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Koh Lipe looks good, though reaching requires a boat journey after the plane.

We're off to Koh Samui in a couple of weeks....direct flights on Bangkok Air. I was there in 1998; I suspect it has seen major development since then.  A plus is that it's in a different climatic zone....it's dry when Phuket et al  are wet.

I've wanted to go to Koh Lipe for a while actually, but it isn't so easy to get there. I think you have to fly to Hat Yai, then take a mini bus or taxi to the pier which takes 1.5-2 hours, and then a speed boat which is another 1.5-2 hours. Not sure if there is any ferry service. Definitely is on the cards at some point!

Koh Samui is one of my options, but I'll keep doing some research as to the hotels, transport etc. At least there is an airport on the island which makes for easy travelling.

I think you need to state what type of island you want. If you want luxurious hotels and upscale restaurants, then Phuket and Samui are for you. If you want more local ones, then there is much more choice. Although Samui and Chang are easy to get to, the Samui and Trat airports are privately owned by Bangkok Airways, and therefore priced as a monopoly.

Driving outside of Bangkok is very straightforward. Just make sure you have an international driving license. On my next visit in May we are going to drive to Hua Hin for a few days, then up to some national parks near the Myanmar boarder. Last time we flew to Chiang Rai and did a great road trip of the NE - Highlights were the boarder roads above the Wild Boar Tham Luang caves. Having a car gives great freedom to roam near or far from the sea.            

10 hours ago, joshhb said:

I think you need to state what type of island you want. If you want luxurious hotels and upscale restaurants, then Phuket and Samui are for you. If you want more local ones, then there is much more choice. Although Samui and Chang are easy to get to, the Samui and Trat airports are privately owned by Bangkok Airways, and therefore priced as a monopoly.

Driving outside of Bangkok is very straightforward. Just make sure you have an international driving license. On my next visit in May we are going to drive to Hua Hin for a few days, then up to some national parks near the Myanmar boarder. Last time we flew to Chiang Rai and did a great road trip of the NE - Highlights were the boarder roads above the Wild Boar Tham Luang caves. Having a car gives great freedom to roam near or far from the sea.            

I'm pretty easy - both luxurious and local are fine with me, as long as the hotel has a balcony with beach/ocean views, and some dining options within walking distance. Phuket I've been to twice already, and am leaning towards Samui but just checking the other options. 

Your May trip sounds amazing!

I went to Koh Lipe recently and loved it, but you and @Londonerare right, it's a journey to get there. BKK > HatYai (1 hour flight), HatYai to Pak Bara Pier 1.5 hours (road), then Pak Bara pier to Pattaya Beach Pier (1.5 hours speedboat). Timing the flights was my biggest mistake, I almost missed check-in on the way back because I didn't consider needing to be there 45 mins before my flight departs. I bought a package for me and my travel companion that had pickup from HatYai in a minivan and included the speedboat ticket, that saved having to get a driver at the airport.

Beautiful island, lots of great food, inexpensive day trips to quiet(er) beaches and islands, amazing crystal clear water all the way from sunset beach to sunrise beach.

If I wanted a hassle free island resort I would probably go to Samui for luxury or Koh Lanta for a more relaxed location

2 hours ago, Milk78 said:

What is the boy situation like - any bars? Good on the apps?  

Frankly no idea - sorry. There were several gay guys working at my hotel and I guess there must be quite a few around the island. The OP said he was not so interested in sex and I was not there for sex.

Over the years I’ve been visiting Pattaya I’ve visited Koh Samet quite a few times, mostly in company with another gay friend and our respective boyfriends. The easiest way of making the arrangements is to buy a package deal from a travel agent to include transportation, ferry, National park admission and bungalow accommodation. 
ive never stayed there more than five days but that’s enough to get away from the madness of Pattaya to enjoy clean air and sea.  It’s usually better to avoid the weekends which are busier with people from Bkk. 

Thank you for all of the recommendations, very much appreciated. And beautiful photos @PeterRS! I will keep all of these ideas in mind whilst doing my research, this trip won't be until later in the year (if it goes ahead). I still have a trip report from January overdue!

For those who are interested, I ended up booking a few days in Phu Quoc. I haven't been to Vietnam before so I thought I would try, and it looks really nice. Khao Lak was a close second though. I wasn't planning to go to Bangkok on this trip, but I ended up also booking a few days there because I cannot stay away lol.

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

this I can easily believe, who would miss visiting Bangkok being so close ?

Exactly my thought process! And I had to even extend my BKK trip by 1 day as there were no flights on the day I wanted to travel from BKK to Phu Quoc. Oh well!