Ryanqqq

45 days visa exempt

I decided to get a Tourist visa, but was half regretting it afterward. My passport is good to next year, and I am requesting a new one tomorrow. This will probably render my online visa useless because it has been linked to my current passport. Maybe immigration will accept my new passport if I can show/bring my old passport and give me the visa on arrival.

But the point is that it really doesn't matter that much because I arrive in 2.5 weeks. The difference is 15 days, and that makes it very acceptable in my case. So yeah, I hope they keep the scheme alive.

Barry Kenyon chimed in today on the outlook for an extension of the 45-day Visa on Arrival scheme which expires March 31. Here's some excerpts from his column in the Pattaya Mail:

"The argument in favour of extending the visa exempt and visa on arrival schemes to the end of 2023 is to boost the number of international tourists to Thailand in the post-covid environment. Conversely, it can be argued that the Thai tourist revival is proving so popular that additional visa privileges are hardly necessary. Moreover, adverse publicity about foreigners (mostly but not entirely Chinese) paying cash to receive corruptly long stay visas has prompted proposals that more power should be placed in the hands of Thai embassies abroad to award tourist and longstay visas rather than encouraging a free-for-all.

Other potential ambiguities include the number of same day visa runs which would be permissible and documentary requirements by Thai embassies abroad when awarding visas within their particular remit. It is also possible that any announcement could be delayed till after March 31 as, during the pandemic, immigration news was not uncommonly delayed post-deadline. A final issue is that the current caretaker government, awaiting the May 14 general election, is unlikely to approve new groundbreaking immigration rules. After all, This Is Thailand."

Thanks for the article, reader. I was hoping for a better news but not surprised if it will not be extended. Agree with the article, they might not really need this anymore as the tourists are back, and due to the coming elections.

I’m going for a year of sabbatical or perhaps pre retirement and the 45 day visa would have been very convenient.

certainly lots of discussion about this. The consensus I've seen seems to point to it's expiration as scheduled. Apparently people who have been arriving in the last week or so have only been getting the number of days until the end of April on their entry into the country rather than 45 days from their arrival.

• Members
On 3/7/2023 at 7:33 AM, iendo said:

I decided to get a Tourist visa, but was half regretting it afterward. My passport is good to next year, and I am requesting a new one tomorrow. This will probably render my online visa useless because it has been linked to my current passport. Maybe immigration will accept my new passport if I can show/bring my old passport and give me the visa on arrival.

But the point is that it really doesn't matter that much because I arrive in 2.5 weeks. The difference is 15 days, and that makes it very acceptable in my case. So yeah, I hope they keep the scheme alive.

In Brazil, bringing the visa on the old passport worked just fine for me. Not sure about Thailand.