JKane

Excellent gay history YouTube channel...

I'd never heard of his videos and just watched the first featuring Cage aux Folles and Birdcage. I saw the original French movie of Cage aux Folles and adored it. It was so funny and I thought briliantly done. On the other hand, I found the Robin Williams American remake both over-the-top and quite boring. Yet i saw the Broadway musical with wonderful hummable music by Jerry Herman and its great cast led by Gene Barry and George Hearn (surely one of his greatest roles) and just loved it. I saw it twice.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:20 AM, bkkmfj2648 said:

The Italian version, La Cage aux Folles: Il Vizietto (1978), was also very good.

Unfortunately, I could not find it with subtitles.

The Italian version is merely the original French version dubbed into Italian. Finally found it on youtube as the one posted does not work.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:55 PM, PeterRS said:

The Italian version is merely the original French version dubbed into Italian. Finally found it on youtube as the one posted does not work.

This is also my favorite version. It's actually a French/Italian co-production, something very common between the 60-80s. Tognazzi is one of the biggest name of Italian comedy, even though he is not much known internationally. Some of his characters like Il Conte Mascetti from the movie Amici Miei are universally known in Italy with movie quotes still used in  everyday language. The soundtrack is from the great Ennio Morricone and the beautiful cinematography from Armando Nannuzzi who also did work on Visconti's Ludwig and Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth.

The translation and the Italian dubbing is also of very high quality. Italians have one of the best dubbing schools in the world as up to the late 70s they used to dub not only foreign movies but even Italian ones. Great masters like Fellini, De Sica will only add sound and voice in post-production. Plus, the cast of actors tended to be very international, so even later one dubbing in Italian movies was deemed necessary. Just a Youtube video from the dubbing of Fellini's Casanova. Just to show the intense work that used to go into it (sorry, it's all in Italian): 

I will look forwarrd tp watching all of that video posted by @fedssocr. In the meantime while that kiss at the start in Wellman's movie was certainly historic, it is hardly seen to be a gay kiss. Having flipped through the vdo I realise it does mention what was I believe the first true lips on lips kiss in John Schlesinger's wonderful British movie Sunday Bloody Sunday. In this the bi-sexual Murray Head plants a real gay kiss on Peter Finch who plays a gay doctor, even though he was known as an actor to be agresively straight. It caused only minor comment when the movie was released in 1971 - except in the USA where the movie was generally despised and several theatres refused to show it. The third party in the trio was the late quite superb actor Glenda Jackson.