KJ1993

The Begging Culture of Brasilian Sex Tourism

1 month on from Brazil, I often find myself reminiscing and flicking through my collection of Iphone photos. It almost feels like a dream.

That said, whilst I am no longer in Brazil, the hustle for my hard-earned cash appears to have continued. I decided to keep my back-up phone in the end as I've made some useful contacts (friends, garotos, associates and everything in between) and want to keep my escapades in Brazil separate.  I also fear the unlikely but possible scenario of a work colleague perousing the whatsapp thumbnail of a shirtless Brazilian hunk.

All that said, I've had several requests for financial 'ajuda' from several Brasilians now, often accompanied with some sob story. Initially I obliged and thought nothing of it,  but now it's really becoming quite tiresome and dare I say starting to leave a sour taste. Am I naive to hope most of it is genuine? Thankfully it's yet to put me off returning LOL!

Part of me sympathises, inflation is rampant in Brazil and to call the minimum wage appaling would be complimentary. Maybe I would be the same if I were in their shoes?

Can anyone else relate? Or should I accept that most relationships in Brazil, as far as sex tourism is concerned, are merely transactional.

• Members

Making a connection with the a GP can both be a good a bad thing.   They can develop a stickiness that is often not very attractive (not all, some endearing).  I make it quite clear that my life in Brazil is completely separate to my life at home.  I simply will not reply when it the messaging gets too heavy.  

I think the world is tough in lots of places these days. My tour guide in Sri Lanka who I spent a few weeks with going around the island asked me for money a couple of times. They've had a tough few years over there with their economy falling apart and tourism hitting the skids. He's got kids in school and a family to support so it wasn't a surprise when he contacted me asking for help. I did send him some money. 

Lots of desperate people in many countries. I don't begrudge anyone. It was clear to me that the Sri Lankan guy was really thankful and wouldn't have asked me if he wasn't really in bad shape.

• Members

It's always hard to know what is genuinely a need or what is the need in their mind. I love the Dominican Republic(as well as Brazil). In my mind --and I really hesitate to characterize-- the Dominicans seem to have the least trouble looking for a handout.  For sure things are not easy there. On the other hand their concept of need sometimes means being able to live like their cousins or family in Miami who have managed to get a visa. I know one guy there who pleaded with me to bring him the latest iPhone  because his phone  wasn't working. I politely declined. When I got there he had a newer, larger phone than I did and it worked just fine. He sort of laughed when I called him on it. He asks me for money constantly sending me pictures of an empty refrigerator--but I am over it. In another instance I met a guy in the beach in the DR one evening. We chatted briefly and exchanged Facebook links, I had no interest in sex. The next day I got a message saying he had lost his phone and could I buy him a new one. By contrast the lower to middle class Brazilians (non sexual) I have met have never asked for a cent and are just grateful to see me and hang out. Of course I compensate the guys in the sauna appropriately.

11 hours ago, mixer17 said:

Making a connection with the a GP can both be a good a bad thing.   They can develop a stickiness that is often not very attractive (not all, some endearing).  I make it quite clear that my life in Brazil is completely separate to my life at home.  I simply will not reply when it the messaging gets too heavy.  

Guess I need to take a leaf out your book, though I always feel really guilty ignoring whatsapp messages. But maybe it's the only way to get the point across here.

3 hours ago, floridarob said:

Good thing I don't throw off a rich guy vibe, actually the opposite. In all my years I've had maybe 3 or 4 requests for money, which I replied "No"....they said ok.

I'm sure they have a long list of clients to hit up and don't want to waste time with me.

They don't do programas free.....

Wow really!!? That's impressive. I don't think I throw off a 'rich guy' vibe as you put it, at least not intentionally.

I think the mere fact you're in Brazil as a tourist from the UK/USA/AUS etc indicates, to them at least,  that you have some level of disposable income to which they feel entitled.

1 hour ago, speedoo1 said:

Receive that all the time (Colombia/D R/ Brazil/Thailand). Most will accept a polite "No/sorry".

If you start wiring money you will get endless requests for help later on from the guy. Been there done that.

It's a slippery slope bro 🙈 I'm learning the hard way!

17 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I don't ask for GP's phone number, and I always delete or block them if they voluntarily give it to me.  I am not looking for anything more than paid sex service.

Understandable, that would make life easier I guess.

But in some cases, for me at least, a GP can unintentionally become a friend, especially where we have similar interests and you're travelling solo.

Note, I only keep the numbers of people I genuinely like. If I've been forced into giving my number I do as you said.

2 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

It's always hard to know what is genuinely a need or what is the need in their mind. I love the Dominican Republic(as well as Brazil). In my mind --and I really hesitate to characterize-- the Dominicans seem to have the least trouble looking for a handout.  For sure things are not easy there. On the other hand their concept of need sometimes means being able to live like their cousins or family in Miami who have managed to get a visa. I know one guy there who pleaded with me to bring him the latest iPhone  because his phone  wasn't working. I politely declined. When I got there he had a newer, larger phone than I did and it worked just fine. He sort of laughed when I called him on it. He asks me for money constantly sending me pictures of an empty refrigerator--but I am over it. In another instance I met a guy in the beach in the DR one evening. We chatted briefly and exchanged Facebook links, I had no interest in sex. The next day I got a message saying he had lost his phone and could I buy him a new one. By contrast the lower to middle class Brazilians (non sexual) I have met have never asked for a cent and are just grateful to see me and hang out. Of course I compensate the guys in the sauna appropriately.

This is so accurate man! Not even lying I've had the picture of the empty fridge too 😂 And a request for a Iphone!  🤣

For me its the lies and sob stories..why lie? I'd have more time if they said straight up 'things are tough right now can you spare anything?'.

The stories they tell are book worthy lol 

13 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Don't be offended. They are trying to survive the best way possible.

Some of them are very sincere. I have two guys I met 20 years back and still friends with and have seen in different countries and they have never asked for money. But, the fact they were able to leave Brazil, tells you they are smart and motivated.

I once had a guy give me sob story about all his money I left him not to work until I return was stolen at gunpoint. I asked him how the bank was doing with the armed robbery and I didn't read anything about it in the paper. He was confused until he remembered I took him to the bank and deposited it for him instead of giving him cash. Oh, well, good try.

Exactly this is where I feel bad. Most are just trying to survive, in any way they can.

• Members
42 minutes ago, KJ1993 said:

Understandable, that would make life easier I guess.

But in some cases, for me at least, a GP can unintentionally become a friend, especially where we have similar interests and you're travelling solo.

Note, I only keep the numbers of people I genuinely like. If I've been forced into giving my number I do as you said.

Not sure what traveling solo has anything to do with befriending GPs, and what similar interests they can have with me.  They are GP, ie., prostitutes.  They become friends only if I make that possible.  I don't.  I guess I sound like a snob, but I don't make prostitute friends back home either.  

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

Not sure what traveling solo has anything to do with befriending GPs, and what similar interests they can have with me.  They are GP, ie., prostitutes.  They become friends only if I make that possible.  I don't.  I guess I sound like a snob, but I don't make prostitute friends back home either.  

I think given it was my first trip to Brazil and I was alone I was more open to making friends and building relationships.

Personally, just because someone engages in prostitution it wouldn't necessarily exclude them from being friends with me, especially in Brazil. I think I'm naturally more inclined to building relationships with people if they have positive characteristics and we share similar views and interests.

No, you don't sound snobby, completely understand why some people would want to keep it strictly transactional.

• Members
42 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Many gringos show off intentionally or not, about their jobs, travels, clothes, homes, cars, etc.... Going to eat with guys at fancy places and spending more on a meal than they could make in a normal job in 2-4 weeks.  

That's where they get that impression....and many have received money to pay their rent, motorcycle accident expenses- real or not, and countless gifts just for asking. Not a bad deal for free and only for the asking, what do they have to lose , lol

I’m going to have to agree with @KJ1993 on this one, though. 

The default assumption is that because you’re a gringo tourist, you have disposable income that puts you in the top 5% of Brazilians. Although it might help a bit to “dress down”, it doesn’t much matter that you’re not flashy with your accoutrements — you can travel globally (often), you can rent a hotel or an AirBnB, and you can pay for fun, non-essential things like 70R sauna entrance fees and drinks. In the mind of an average Brazilian who earns only $540 USD a month, while those in minimum wage jobs earn a ghastly $250 USD a month, you might as well be Warren Buffett.