jjhjjp

Driving in Thailand

Having been driving in Thailand for 20 years or so, and I'm no spring chicken, it's always a relief to pull in to the Moo Baan with both the car and its driver in one piece. Driving here in Chiang Mai is more of a nightmare than in Bangkok, where there are fewer bikes and probably a higher proportion of drivers with licences. If we fly down to one of the islands it means picking up a car at the airport, but this is more difficult since Covid as my preferred, and only, rental company has greatly reduced its fleet and its locations. Having my own car I seldom need to rent these days but in the past in CM, Phuket, Krabi and Surat Thani (I refuse to pay the Bangkok Airways premium for the privilege of flying to Samui) I have had exemplary service from 'ThaiRent acar' and no problems.

Been renting and driving in Thailand for more than twenty years. Never been an issue. It really isn't the drama that people describe. I usually use one of the main chains, eg Avis, and their service is excellent. 

As for getting between cities, the journey under your own control is part of the fun! Stopping where and when you want, and exploring to your own timetable. You are losing half the experience if you are only focussed on the destination.

2 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Been renting and driving in Thailand for more than twenty years. Never been an issue. It really isn't the drama that people describe. I usually use one of the main chains, eg Avis, and their service is excellent. 

As for getting between cities, the journey under your own control is part of the fun! Stopping where and when you want, and exploring to your own timetable. You are losing half the experience if you are only focussed on the destination.

Super helpful! I was thinking going through some smaller places would make the rental worth it

Once you are outside of Bangkok metro sprawl driving is quite straightforward. The quality of the roads is superb. However you must drive defensively, especially on multi-lane highways with kamikaze trucks with poor lane discipline.

I'd never rent a scooter except on a low-speed island. Way too vulnerable.

12 hours ago, joshhb said:

kamikaze trucks with poor lane discipline.

Kamikaze trucks - I've never seen it put that way before, but that is a perfect description. 

I would change "poor" lane discipline to "zero" lane discipline.  Trucks are supposed to stay in the left lane, which in Thailand is the slow lane.  But when they want to pass slower trucks, out they come into the next lane regardless of whether any traffic is already occupying the space they are about to enter.  When they do use their turn signals, that only means a warning that they are changing lanes instantly.  Often they drive in the wrong lane and stay there.  For me, the safe place to be is once those trucks are behind you.

I agree with Khaolakguy about being able to stop and explore whatever and wherever you want on the way to your destination.  That would be a good reason to rent a car.  But if what you want to do is just get from Point A to Point B, if you're not experienced driving in Thailand, I would recommend taking a bus - which would be far less expensive anyway.  Besides, when making a long drive, if you haven't pre-planned those kinds of stops, how often do you really do that?

One thing I believe is a must - no matter how reputable the rental company is.  Take plenty of pictures of the car from every angle before driving one inch.  Some of these places will try to say you damaged the car when you didn't.  Some of the fly-by-night places intentionally leave damage on the car, hoping you won't notice, and then try to charge you an exorbitant price to have it repaired, and then try to intimidate you into paying it.

In Thailand you need to be worried just as much, if not more, about scams than about accidents - which is why I think in most cases you are better off not renting a car.