Uqtyang

Brazil will again require visas from Americans, Japanese, Australians and Canadians.

2 minutes ago, Uqtyang said:

For the cariocas to get a US tourist visa, they need to make  an appointment for an interview at the US consulate. The current wait time for the visa interview is 1.25 years! I can understand why they feel it is not “reciprocal”.  

865033ED-541D-489A-B3BC-144EB968966F.png

Same thing around the world, the US is backed up....my bf just got his, In Mexico, after 15 months wait.

2 hours ago, Uqtyang said:

For the cariocas to get a US tourist visa, they need to make  an appointment for an interview at the US consulate. The current wait time for the visa interview is 1.25 years! I can understand why they feel it is not “reciprocal”.  

worst part is I was told that they are required to pay visa fee which is non-refundable in case visa is declined

• Members
2 hours ago, vinapu said:

they are required to pay visa fee which is non-refundable in case visa is declined

I think that has always been the case - the fee is for the work in processing the application and is not a “success” fee.

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

worst part is I was told that they are required to pay visa fee which is non-refundable in case visa is declined

US visa system is probably one of the worst in the world. No rhyme, no reason. At least with the UK consulate one can challenge/appeal denial and get some explanation/resolution. Not with the US. On top of that, consular workers tend to be very rude and demeaning towards customers. 🤨

• Members

If I have this right, might the visa re-introduction be more of a hassle for visitors wishing to enter for more than an accumulation of 90 days within any 365 days?

My initial visa required Brazil consulate visits and was granted for Dec2014 to Dec2019, 5 years; 180 days allowed per 365 days. Then the online electronic version was introduced in 2018 but most of us were not tapping into this format because the visa waiver occurred not long after, June 2019. However, my understanding is that the e-visa was good for only 2 years and restricted travel to 90 days within 365-day periods.

The reduction in entry duration privileges (either single extended stay or cumulative stays) never impacted on me due to the timing of the waiver that obviated the requirement of visa renewal via the electronic version. However, frankly I don’t remember the allowable number of days within 365 days for the visa-free situation the past few years. 

Going forward, I don’t think I would need more than 90 days, for example, if I were to be subject to it commencing next winter: Jan2024-Jan2026; 90 days permitted Jan2024-Jan2025. But I think some visitors among us prefer greater than 90/365-days prerogative. That would suggest the need to strategize, like before, in terms of when the clock starts ticking upon any particular Brazil entry date subsequent to the visa issue date.

There may be older useful threads on the board from when the electronic version applied, or worthwhile new accounts of using that visa version over that period 2018-2019, assuming that an online electronic version would be the upcoming method.

That said, apparently no nationality is currently offered the electronic visa format. So what is unknown is whether the 4 relevant countries will be subject to that format that existed briefly versus the  older more complex format (Eeeesh!)

I remember feeling skittish the first occasion and needing to visit the consulate 3 times, but I had only committed to an initial 10-day Economy fare and inexpensive hotel in case my application were to be rejected. 

3C209A6E-3AFF-4F42-8522-1A023932B6B8.jpeg

606B3C10-0E89-4BA1-A28D-616FDB3F7773.jpeg

I understand why it pisses them off. A number of Colombians brought up the visa issue with me as they have to get a visa to visit Canada, (although I doubt many want to) and an added annoyance, Mexicans don't need to. But in the past I think the visa did deter Canadians from going. It wasn't a big deal, but still a hassle, the cost, sending off your passport, bank statements and work info. My employer got a call once to check. From another post I guess there's an online method now. Still, who does it hurt. The Canadian government doesn't care. Most Latin Americans do need a visa. I think Mexicans don't because Canada recognized the hypocrisy of saying, hey, us North Americans have to stick together, but we don't trust you enough to let you in our country.

• Members
37 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Spring? I will be in Rio in April, the second and third week. 

I’m several weeks later, skipping Rio, as well as avoiding Sampa Pride weekend June7-11 because I don’t want to compete for lodgings or trade. Air Canada has some unusually slashed direct fares on particular dates if one’s schedule is flexible; in fact, I worry my flights will be cancelled or altered as seat selection is showing less than 10% spoken for. 

• Members

From the article:

“A diplomatic source said the 2019 decision to lift visa requirements had weakened Brazil's ability to negotiate with those countries.

Brazilian government studies also showed the impact on tourism numbers was minimal…”

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazil-resume-visa-requirements-us-japan-australia-canada-sources-2023-03-08/

21 hours ago, Riobard said:

If I have this right, might the visa re-introduction be more of a hassle for visitors wishing to enter for more than an accumulation of 90 days within any 365 days?

My initial visa required Brazil consulate visits and was granted for Dec2014 to Dec2019, 5 years; 180 days allowed per 365 days. Then the online electronic version was introduced in 2018 but most of us were not tapping into this format because the visa waiver occurred not long after, June 2019. However, my understanding is that the e-visa was good for only 2 years and restricted travel to 90 days within 365-day periods.

The reduction in entry duration privileges (either single extended stay or cumulative stays) never impacted on me due to the timing of the waiver that obviated the requirement of visa renewal via the electronic version. However, frankly I don’t remember the allowable number of days within 365 days for the visa-free situation the past few years. 

Going forward, I don’t think I would need more than 90 days, for example, if I were to be subject to it commencing next winter: Jan2024-Jan2026; 90 days permitted Jan2024-Jan2025. But I think some visitors among us prefer greater than 90/365-days prerogative. That would suggest the need to strategize, like before, in terms of when the clock starts ticking upon any particular Brazil entry date subsequent to the visa issue date.

There may be older useful threads on the board from when the electronic version applied, or worthwhile new accounts of using that visa version over that period 2018-2019, assuming that an online electronic version would be the upcoming method.

That said, apparently no nationality is currently offered the electronic visa format. So what is unknown is whether the 4 relevant countries will be subject to that format that existed briefly versus the  older more complex format (Eeeesh!)

I remember feeling skittish the first occasion and needing to visit the consulate 3 times, but I had only committed to an initial 10-day Economy fare and inexpensive hotel in case my application were to be rejected. 

3C209A6E-3AFF-4F42-8522-1A023932B6B8.jpeg

606B3C10-0E89-4BA1-A28D-616FDB3F7773.jpeg

This is a lot of documents.

is Brazil visa only for a single entry, or good for a few years?

if this is only for a single entry, I will go to Brazil less often 

• Members
1 hour ago, babybear2 said:

The Brazil tourist visa I was given in 2010 was good for 10 years, but the stays within the country were still restricted to 90 consecutive days and 180 days in a 365-day period. 

• Members
3 hours ago, babybear2 said:

The e-visa prerogative in place for the 4 national categories from Dec2017 to June2019 was a 2-year entry visa allowing multiple entries tallying a maximum of 90 days per year. Therefore, it will likely be the same or similar. Let’s say you want to visit Argentina at Iguassu Falls or, as I once did, hop over to Portugal and back for a few days within a trip to Brazil, or simply a few shorter trips to Brazil from your country of origin. 

It did not supplant the option of a regular visitor visa application during that time. I assume that the regular visa option, such as would be required for nationals that require a visa but are not nationals of the 4 relevant countries with e-visa prerogative this October, may be reinstated. My understanding is that these are now all done by online application rather than in-person visits. Some folks will want the option of a greater number of allowable annual days. In fact, it may be that some exempt folks were applying for regular visas anyway in the event that a regular visa conferred better entry options tailored for them compare to entry without a visa requirement. I’m not drilling down into this. Lastly, for longterm repeat visitors the upfront cost of a regular visa may be less than for consecutive 2-year visas. 

Here is a link to an outdated (Int Civil Aviation) document that likely depicts the procedural lay of the land for e-visa reinstatement this Fall. There are likely other sources should you wish to search. Note that the early application/visitor uptick (though not fact-checked?) somewhat contradicts the current narrative underpinning the legitimacy of reinstating the e-visa. However, it may have been a short-lived surge that smoothed out even prior to the distortion imposed by COVID. 

https://www.icao.int/Meetings/TRIP-Brazil-2018/Presentations/SANT'ANA.pdf

• Members
4 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

The Brazil tourist visa I was given in 2010 was good for 10 years, but the stays within the country were still restricted to 90 consecutive days and 180 days in a 365-day period.

This is what I have and it's good till 2025. I hope it still works. I actually hadn't noticed that the airlines didn't check for my visa in the last couple trips so I didn't even know about the brief visa waiver.

• Members

A Brazilian visa for American is 10 years.  If Brazilian government truly wants "reciprocidade", they should just give American tourists the one month tourist visa (or whatever equivalent length of an American visa for Brazilians), and also require all job and income proof. The U.S. don't give Brazilians 10 year multi entry tourist visa.